Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone tried to modify the headlight auxilary lights so that they stay on AND the main headlight off while riding(DRL)? I noticed that they light up when you turn the key to accessory mode but starting the engine lights everything up (day time running light on included) . I see that the MT-09 has that option but not the fz09? IS there a way to make that happen?
Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've thought about this too. I figure we could just wire in a toggle type switch inline with the headlight, so that you can turn it on/off as you please. There is blank just above the horn button that would be a great location. Now we await the replies stating we won't be visible enough...

·
Registered
298 Posts
It would be possible with a toggle as stated, however just be aware that it will most likely not be legal to ride that way. Certain states require that any motorcycle manufactured past a certain date must have a headlight on when the motorcycle is running. Disabling that could be illegal. Check with your state vehicle code to be sure before you do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Wonder if the MT09's have a special kit to make the auxilary lights on and the headlight off... they all seem to have it... ?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's undoubtedly illegal & for Good Reason IMO.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Why would you want to make yourself LESS visible to other drivers? Cagers have a hard enough time seeing us as it is, I can't imagine why anyone would want to take that risk, and as stated above, the US DOT mandates all new motorcycles sold in this country have a headlight that is on at all times. I'm sure there's an easy way to do it, but you'd be risking unnecessary encounters with cops and putting your own safety at risk. Proceed with caution and at your own discretion...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I added the two Denali D2's last week for additional illumination.

I'm always thinking of ways to Add Lights, Not remove them, but that's just me :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I;d like to change those Aux lights to LED. Anyone figure out if thats possible?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Trying to find these in amber ... Has anyone found these?
Dumb company name. But, O'Reilly's Auto Parts carries these: Jam Strait
I have a set of ambers in both the Super Tenere and FZ-09 aux. light spots inside the headlight shells.
Here's how they look with the headlight off and then on.
IMG_7423b.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

I rewired the aux. lights so they *ground* through the turn signal (+) lead. {Yes, it works! }
That way, the aux light winks out whenever a turn signal is activated on that side - alternating the lights.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
This what you need, impressive for a simple 168/194 LED!!!

Reactions: AzSportBiker

·
Registered
654 Posts
the US takes it a step further than mentioned, ive been ticketed for riding without a headlight on on a bike old enough that the headlight had an off switch from the factory. for the bike to be legal here the headlight must be on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts