Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone have any suggestions or want to share which shifter pedal you have added and how much longer it is or isnt from stock shift.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The shift pedal? I haven't heard of anyone using other than stock, likely the only aftermarket ones will be with rearsets, expensive if all you want is a different shift pedal.

Do you have a large boot size and trouble with the pedal being short? How much longer would you like the pedal to be?

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you mean the shift pedal/lever, the only way to switch it out is to switch to a completely different set of rearsets, and most of them relocate the entire footpeg assembly higher and further back for a more aggressive stance on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Yea, I'm puzzled by what he is asking also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looking for a jockey shift? That would be interesting. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm 28.. Is that what I was showing? Lol

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Looking for a jockey shift? That would be interesting. :)
Suicide clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the context I kind of guessed what you meant but I didn't know it by that name, I know it as a suicide clutch/shift. Back around '72 when I was 14 some guys just out of college lived next door were into old style bare bones Harley and Indian choppers. Not my cup of tea but it was educational lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm 28.. Is that what I was showing? Lol
I just figured that if you knew about Jockey shifters, you had to be an old fart like me!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Suicide clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the context I kind of guessed what you meant but I didn't know it by that name, I know it as a suicide clutch/shift. Back around '72 when I was 14 some guys just out of college lived next door were into old style bare bones Harley and Indian choppers. Not my cup of tea but it was educational lol.

I must be an old fart. 1965, My first bike was a 1941 Knucklehead 74 OHV that my Dad gave to get to high school. The original foot clutch mechanism had a spring to hold it once you rocked it over center (Rocker clutch). If you sawed off the rear pedal and removed the spring you had a suicide clutch which is what it had. Just be in neutral when you stop and put your left foot down or ELSE..... It was fun holding the front break and popping the clutch. My 1950 Pan Head 74 had the rocker clutch (and a sidecar). I have not heard Jockey shifters but there were not other Harleys in my small town back then.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just figured that if you knew about Jockey shifters, you had to be an old fart like me!
Never heard suicide shifter called a jockey shifter before... interesting bit of trivia. Thanks.

I am curious what the OP is asking as well.

In the FZ1 it was a common mod to swap out the lever-arm on the shift shaft (the shaft going into the transmission) to an R1 lever arm to change the shifter lever ratio and thus get a shorter throw shifter. You might be able to do something like that on the FZ09 to make the shift pattern a little shorter/tighter or if one was so inclined, to increase the shifter throw.

IIRC I looked at swapping out the shift shaft lever arm when I first bought the FZ09 and found it already had a relatively short shift shaft lever arm.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I like old school bobbers & cafés, I've always called em suicide shifters but I thought jockey was the more common term.. Everyone gets the idea though.. Would probably be a sport bike first.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shift pedal? I haven't heard of anyone using other than stock, likely the only aftermarket ones will be with rearsets, expensive if all you want is a different shift pedal.

Do you have a large boot size and trouble with the pedal being short? How much longer would you like the pedal to be?
ide like the pedal to be maybe a half inch longer or a 45 degree rolling offset on it... i'm actually an average size boot, just feels short to me and and awkward to wedge my foot in.. i adjusted the spline setting a few ticks from the default they gave me and it still feels short... i figured i just needed to get used to it until i talked to a guy at work who has the 09 and he brought it up and i agreed.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
ide like the pedal to be maybe a half inch longer or a 45 degree rolling offset on it... i'm actually an average size boot, just feels short to me and and awkward to wedge my foot in.. i adjusted the spline setting a few ticks from the default they gave me and it still feels short... i figured i just needed to get used to it until i talked to a guy at work who has the 09 and he brought it up and i agreed.
Adjusting the push rod to be shorter to raise the shifter?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts