Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
That link must be for a rear shock spring, I don't see how it could work on the forks

·
Registered
225 Posts
fork spring compressors range from this cheap to this better and many in between. I made a version on the racetech and have used it several times now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Those are good links, Brian. Thank you.
No problem! Post 3 HERE very briefly discusses the process of removing the cartridge and minimum tools. Sorry no part numbers. Most I have had around for several years.....I tore up a lot more stuff in my younger days:p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again. That thread is especially helpful with the tool list. The video, however, is not so good for the wallet :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just pulled the trigger on G3 25mm carts and a Penske 2 clicker. Anyone know which Ohlins cart wrench I need to fit the G3 carts, and where I can find a good one for a good price? $100.00 to get one with the carts stuck in my throat a bit.:eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found this kit on the Traxxion site. It includes a hex extension bundle with 3 sizes, listed in description but not shown:
https://02d4cb0.netsolstores.com/ForkServiceToolKit.aspx
So I'm guessing I'll still need a 14mm hex for the axle, a cartridge holding tool, and the proper spanner cap wrench I inquired about above. Anything else I need to install the 25mm carts?

·
Registered
649 Posts
You need to compress the spring quite a long way before you can get to the nut to undo the cartridge.
May need a buddy to help hold it down.

Reactions: phm14

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to compress the spring quite a long way before you can get to the nut to undo the cartridge.
May need a buddy to help hold it down.
I guess I'll find out. I thought about ordering the Racetech unit, but plan to try the above kit 1st. I decided to go with this pin spanner wrench. I'm confident I can use it without marring the top caps, and I'm not into "buy another $100 cap wrench for every proprietary variant" game that some fork manufacturers play.
Spanner Wrenches by FACOM - Spanner Wrenches by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
I could not find this wrench with metric pins speced, so I ordered the extra set here:
Amazon.com: Stanley Proto Facom FA-117.E3 Pin Replacements, Round, 3-5mm: Home Improvement
My Racetech suspension bible is in, and I see the recommend a bike stand as an option for holding fork tubes, and I just happen to have one I use for our mountain bikes.
Amazon.com: Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike: Sports & Outdoors
I also have a large bench vise with several sets of soft jaws as an option.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
search spring compressor tool. I posted a DYI on how to make one from hardware store supplies. Not the best but it works.

·
Registered
649 Posts
With the top cap, there is no need to tighten it on re-assembly. All you need to do is seat it. The o-ring does all the sealing, tightening the nut wont stop a leak.
AND
The top fork clamp bolt will stop the nut from turning by squeezing in on that ever so thin fork tube and compressing the threads together. It won't come out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Please re-read the above post..just please.

Hes so right, and many screw this up and cause permanent damage to some very expensive fasteners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts