Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was considering an Akrapovic Racing Line Carbon exhaust for my MT09 (I really like the loop that lengthens the pipe), but seeing a used model in the flesh made me reconsider. It looked quite rusted on the surface and generally ratty, if I paid what they're asking and it ended up looking like that, I'd be livid. Is this a common occurrence with the Akrapovic Carbon? Do the other aftermarket exhausts (e.g. Arrow, Yoshi) look this bad after a couple of years? My two year old stock exhaust looks better than that!

mt09_akrapovic_rust.jpg

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
just looks dirty to me.
The scorpion full system that's hanging in my garage looks the same. Needs a clean before I sell it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
.....seeing a used model in the flesh made me reconsider. It looked quite rusted on the surface and generally ratty, if I paid what they're asking and it ended up looking like that, I'd be livid. Is this a common occurrence with the Akrapovic Carbon? Do the other aftermarket exhausts (e.g. Arrow, Yoshi) look this bad after a couple of years? My two year old stock exhaust looks better than that!

View attachment 106266

Never seen a stainless exhaust look as bad as that. But they get colored darker and brownish.

Here is a post I did on the subject, in another thread. So nothing to worry about, it cleans off easy with the right chemicals.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/69-xsr900-general-discussion/33593-what-have-you-done-your-xsr900-today-post595881.html#post595881

·
Registered
67 Posts
I cant speak to the Akra but I have full Yoshi Y-series (headers, full pipes, and end) on my 2017 FZ09. Yes it is not that aged, less then a year, but I can see color changes from the day that it was put on. But not bad coloring its actually nice. It has started to get a slight blue/purple hue mixed in with the titanium. I actually like it allot. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's more like what I'd hope they'd look like after a couple of years, do you have any special cleaning method to keep them looking that way?
Mothers power ball polisher and Mcguires mag wheel polish. That's only the second time I cleaned them a couple of weeks ago and last year. I can't figure out how that exhaust got that bad. Neglect, corrosive environment sal****er or winter salted roads just not sure how they got that bad. Most stainless is just resistant to corrosion I'm not sure what Akropovic uses for there tubes but if you're that worried about it go with the titanium it won't rust.

Hey maybe that's cheap Chinese knock off of a Akropovic with a sticker on it? There was just a thread about those on here.
Fisserpilot had his ceramic coated they looked really nice that's another option.

Since when did sal****er become a swear word? Hmmm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Never seen a stainless exhaust look as bad as that. But they get colored darker and brownish.

Here is a post I did on the subject, in another thread. So nothing to worry about, it cleans off easy with the right chemicals.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/69-xsr900-general-discussion/33593-what-have-you-done-your-xsr900-today-post595881.html#post595881

Actually yesterday on a MC meetup in Oslo I saw two MT-09's with Akrapovic exhaust headers looking at least as bad as thread starter pictured. But they both had this exhaust.

akrapovic.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts