Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you rather your FZ had ABS or was Yammy right in keeping MSRP down and not offering ABS....???

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nope, better forks & shock is on mine.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ive never had a bike with ABS and I see no reason to change that now. if it were offered with and without, I would have chose without...not because of the cost, but because I just dont want it.

And yes, I know ABS makes the bike safer, but if I were worried about safe,I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle, and certainly not one that floats the front wheel as easy as this one does.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think they put ABS on the right bike--the FJ-09. More likely on the FJ to cruise long distance and get caught out in inclement weather conditions (which is where in my opinion ABS and TC begin to earn their keep).

I really like the balance they struck with the FZ.

Would you rather your FZ had ABS or was Yammy right in keeping MSRP down and not offering ABS....???

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Makes sense to offer it as an option, rather than not at all. In some situations it could be a good investment, but not all of them. I ride on dry country roads with emergency stops pretty unlikely. So, it would be a waste of my money.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm not sure about this, I've never had a bike with ABS. Tests of some early ABS systems indicated that skilled riders could stop quicker and I would not want that, but newer systems are supposed to be much better. I still don't think I would want it if I couldn't turn it off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would definitely go for the ABS model if I could.

I think they put ABS on the right bike--the FJ-09. More likely on the FJ to cruise long distance and get caught out in inclement weather conditions (which is where in my opinion ABS and TC begin to earn their keep).

I really like the balance they struck with the FZ.
They also put ABS in the MT-09. If you trust Yamaha to know what they're doing, then I guess they know the European riders care more for their lives than we do.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Yammy was really on their game they would've replaced the sorry-ass CCT in all their bikes and utilized the APE CCT years ago, last year, or this year -- What are they waiting for.... It's an ongoing problem in virtually model. They seem to fly by the seat of their pants. They've come a long way from musical instruments but they've got a ways to go....They're better than some and worse than others....IMHO:cool:

I understand all new bikes are mandated to have ABS in Europe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If Yammy was really on their game they would've replaced the sorry-ass CCT in all their bikes and utilized the APE CCT years ago, last year, or this year -- What are they waiting for.... It's an ongoing problem in virtually model. They seem to fly by the seat of their pants. They've come a long way from musical instruments but they've got a ways to go....They're better than some and worse than others....IMHO:cool:

I understand all new bikes are mandated to have ABS in Europe.
You're right, but for 2016
Motorcycle ABS compulsory from 2016 - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't that ^^^ over 2 years old..??? Anything more recent...???

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
All the European MT versions already come with ABS. I just haven't seen anything that says how good it works????

Is it the typical crappy ABS that only works while driving in a straight line? Or has it been improved to work like that new KTM Uncrashable version?

I don't know if this new uncrashable version is on new bikes, or still under developement?

Also curious if you can adapt the FJ-09's ABS and Traction Control to an FZ-09?

Not that I want too, but I am sure someone has already thought about it.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You think the law changed a couple more times since?
You're online so I assume you got access to google, but I'm nice so here's an article from last year:

Source: Guide to 2014 Motorcycles and Scooters With ABS - Consumer Reports News
Excellent article. Thank you -- You "are" a nice guy:D

I understood the law had already changed....Oh well. It clearly seems the Advanced/Experienced Riders prefer non-ABS, or at least the ability to turn it off. I've had a handful of situations with "stale" Green Lights that have caused me to stop on a dime, only to find the stock suspension was identical to a trampoline. Suspension has been sorted out but it's got to make you think about ABS too and why Yammy chose not to offer it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
All the European MT versions already come with ABS. I just haven't seen anything that says how good it works????

Is it the typical crappy ABS that only works while driving in a straight line? Or has it been improved to work like that new KTM Uncrashable version?

I don't know if this new uncrashable version is on new bikes, or still under developement?

Also curious if you can adapt the FJ-09's ABS and Traction Control to an FZ-09?

Not that I want too, but I am sure someone has already thought about it.
Good questions.

Excellent article. Thank you -- You "are" a nice guy:D

I understood the law had already changed....Oh well. It clearly seems the Advanced/Experienced Riders prefer non-ABS, or at least the ability to turn it off. I've had a handful of situations with "stale" Green Lights that have caused me to stop on a dime, only to find the stock suspension was identical to a trampoline. Suspension has been sorted out but it's got to make you think about ABS too and why Yammy chose not to offer it...
I can't presume to know what Yamaha was thinking but they aim for different markets and my guess (also judging by this thread) is Americans won't pay for ABS.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would take it if I could switch it off.
And I would take it if it was the system on the KTM 1190- with the lean/off-road ABS as an option.
New BMWs are supposedly getting a new (cornering) ABS system similar to the KTM- by Continental I think? I could want that too.
As long as a rider can switch it off, I think ABS is welcome. Sometimes, it can be dead scary, esp on rough roads.

They should offer it as an option at least..like $500 more maybe- like the Hondas. Would increase their already explosive sales and keep less experienced (sometimes, even the more experienced) riders out of trouble.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If ABS were offered at a reasonable price and could be turned off at the press of a button, I probably would have went for it if the price wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No ABS for me...yet. Once systems like the KTM are perfected and are switchable, I'll probably go for it if the price is right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid a extra A$500 for ABS on mine,as far as I'm aware non switchable on the aus models. It was pissin down rain today on my freeway run to work, glad to know that it was there as not much respect for riders here.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I can't presume to know what Yamaha was thinking but they aim for different markets and my guess (also judging by this thread) is Americans won't pay for ABS.
Its not that Americans wont pay for it, its just that our government unlike Europe, hasn't forced it on us. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to buy an MT without ABS, but their supreme leadership wont allow it.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts