Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read it here: 2014 Yamaha FZ-07 | FIRST RIDE

Closing paragraph puts things in perspective, Yamaha missed the mark big time with the FZ09 suspension and RBW settings. Goes to show that a budget bike can still be built correctly and sometimes manufacturers miss the mark on certain items.

"So, would I rather have this new twin instead of the FZ-09 triple I'm currently riding? Yes. The FZ-07 is more comfortable, better balanced, and easier to ride, with all of the FZ-09's rowdiness but none of its unruliness. It's not the most powerful or most sophisticated bike out there, but the FZ-07 is highly functional and incredibly fun, well worth the price of admission and likely to make other bikes in the category look overpriced and overweight."

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That thing looks really good in white.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Seems to me The '09 is A LOT more bike for just $1000.......and Looks twice as nice:cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd be more interested to see if the subframe is an easy swap. The two piece seat looks nicer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im loving the look of the 2 piece seat as well. I really wish yamaha offered that in the 09. But as steve said for 1000 more you get so much more bike, unless you want something purely for comfort and commuting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Based on a quick demo ride, I'd mostly agree with this with two exceptions:
If his 07 'leapt forward' from 2k rpm in 4th, he must've been going downhill!
I found the 07 less upright than a stock 09, not more.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Local dealer may have come down to $ 8500 OTD on FZ 09 's.

That is what they wanted to sell me an FZ 07 for, cash money.

Got an FZ 07 a few days ago , financed @ 4.9 % , 72 months, 0 down, $ 133 a month from another dealer.

My connection in Oregon had one for $ 7650, delivered to San Diego, but only had white a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Did the magazines get a differen't '09 than I did?

Like its big brother, the FZ-07 has wave rotors and monoblock front calipers

Mine doesn't have wave rotors.
Have a bit of notching at the edge

Side mount calipers.

I didn't look close enough to see if there was such a thing as side mount mono' s . :cool:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Now I feel better about that 5k deposit I put down on an FZ07. Seems perfect for me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Seems to me The '09 is A LOT more bike for just $1000.......and Looks twice as nice:cool:
The bikes are aimed at different demographics. Most "09" guys are performance oriented and will be spending a lot more than a $1000 extra. By the time you re-flash the ECU, upgrade the suspension, seat, exhaust, etc I bet the average fz-09 rider will have quite a bit more invested.

Yamaha is shooting for newer riders, returning riders, and urban commuters with a toned down bike. I doubt that the average 07 rider will put as much money in to performance upgrades.

As for looks, that's all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If I was in in the market for a 70ish HP bike I'd get the 07, a bike of it's power and weight can be a delight even for experienced riders. Out of the box the 07 is probably a better overall bike than the 09. But if I got a 07 other than not needing an ECU flash I'd probably mod it similarly to my 09 and then, for me, which would be the better overall bike? I don't know.

My knees don't want a hardcore seat to peg relationship, but the 07 pegs might be too relaxed, not sporty enough for me. If I bought mild rearsets for the 07 that would be a lot more $ than a flash.

Some people say "the 09 is just a bit more $, why get the lesser bike?", I don't think a bike of lesser HP is less of bike. What counts to me is how it all works together, how nimble it is etc. I pick bikes by nimble, naked, weight (low as possible, the 09 is about my max), HP range. If I'm in the market for a 100ish HP bike I'm not considering 150HP ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts

My knees don't want a hardcore seat to peg relationship, but the 07 pegs might be too relaxed, not sporty enough for me. If I bought mild rearsets for the 07 that would be a lot more $ than a flash.

I don't know how the reviewer is shaped, but here's how the 09 and 07 compare on cycle-ergo.com with my height/inseam:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

These images match my impressions pretty well and kind of conflict with this report. :shrug: It'll be easy enough for folks to at least try out the fit for themselves once more 07's start hitting showrooms.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean the 07 peg location would stop me from buying it, just that's potentially something I'd change if I did buy it. Would need a lot of twisty miles to know.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't know how the reviewer is shaped, but here's how the 09 and 07 compare on cycle-ergo.com with my height/inseam:

These images match my impressions pretty well and kind of conflict with this report. :shrug: It'll be easy enough for folks to at least try out the fit for themselves once more 07's start hitting showrooms.
Based on a quick demo ride, I'd mostly agree with this with two exceptions:
If his 07 'leapt forward' from 2k rpm in 4th, he must've been going downhill!
I found the 07 less upright than a stock 09, not more.
Did the magazines get a differen't '09 than I did?

Mine doesn't have wave rotors.
Have a bit of notching at the edge

Side mount calipers.

I didn't look close enough to see if there was such a thing as side mount mono' s . :cool:

It's pretty shocking Ari Henning made all these mistakes in his review considering he has a long term FZ09 in his possession and has even quoted this forum a few times.
Then, I remember how they got it wrong when testing the KTM Duke 690 and a Husky Strada- where he pulled the fuse for the ABS to switch it off instead of switching it off from the dash (because he did not think it was there!) Maybe, they need to do their homework better? Maybe he got carried away?

The bike is pretty good and I probably would have picked it if up it came before the 09- makes the Ninja 650/Versys look too expensive now!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The Real Test for both '07 & '09 will be the Resale Market after they've been out a year or two. I highly doubt the '07 will Hold its value like the '09 IMO.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Local dealer may have come down to $ 8500 OTD on FZ 09 's.

That is what they wanted to sell me an FZ 07 for, cash money.

Got an FZ 07 a few days ago , financed @ 4.9 % , 72 months, 0 down, $ 133 a month from another dealer.

My connection in Oregon had one for $ 7650, delivered to San Diego, but only had white a couple of weeks ago.
Chris will you do a ride report and comparison to your 09 anytime soon?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts