Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply brilliant is all I can say. Installed the Akrapovic WITH the cat converter .. and WITH the baffle in it last night ...thinking that it would be too quiet and assuredly needing a re map. I have to say that I have NEVER installed a slip on or a full exhaust system on a motorcycle before WITHOUT needing re jetted or re mapped.....but not this one. Don't ask me why it works without a re map.... but there is more power...a nice sound....no popping at all on de acceleration....no flat spots.....no nothing. It just runs perfect and sounds perfect.
STOCK the FZ07 has way too much engine braking. Now it's normal. No more rolling off the gas and slowing down a lot quicker than you wanted to.
STOCK the torque curve was lower and felt good to ride at 3500 to 4500 RPM. With the Akrapovic the sweet spot is 4000 to 6000 RPM.
STOCK...the off idle response is sluggish. Now it revs quicker from idle.

I know from experience that all new bikes are lean at idle and low revs....so it will benefit from a map made specifically for the Akrapovic ...but you don't really need it and none are available at the moment anyway. Akrapovic claims that no remap is needed with their system and I thought they were full of crap like all the other exhaust makers....but in this case...I guarantee you that a map is not "required" to enjoy the Akrapovic the way it is right out of the box...IF YOU RUN THE CAT CONVERTER AND THE BAFFLE.
I did NOT try it without the cat and the baffle in it.

It costs $1300.00 plus the shipping....so it isn't cheap.....but it changes the whole character of the bike. Now it's full blown hooligan complete with nice crisp downshift throttle blipping.

After I ride it more i'll post if I find anything to complain about.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see if I can mount the go pro before the weekend ride and post a vid.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The only power related change you've made is the Akrapovic? I'm confused how a pipe change noticeably changed the engine braking.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only power related change you've made is the Akrapovic? I'm confused how a pipe change noticeably changed the engine braking.
I have no explanation....but the difference is massive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad it sounds good, but the engine braking on the 7 is just as I'd expect for a mid size twin, not excessive and nothing like an unflashed 9.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Running Akra with no CAT , nor have I got in there to block off exhaust / smog gizmos.

Even so, does not pop or backfire like the M 4 or Graves did before they were mapped

and had block off plates installed on my FZ 09 ' s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This post sold me on the Akrapovic Exhaust.
Also
Revzilla sells the Carbon Fiber one for $787.45, which is not too shabby.

Thanks for this thread and for the thread where you removed the baffle and found out how much that hurts performance.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UK and Italian vendors have them. Check E-Bay UK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts