Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every review says the FZ weighs 414 lb, wet. Then another moto writer says that's the dry wt???

Has anyone weighed their FZ? How did you make the measurement? All we have is a B'room scale that goes to 300lb but we could put the front wheel on it, then the back wheel and add the two numbers.... would that work?

thx.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A cheap way to get a much better reading would be to get a second bathroom scale and putting the bike on both at once.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Every review says the FZ weighs 414 lb, wet. Then another moto writer says that's the dry wt???

Has anyone weighed their FZ? How did you make the measurement? All we have is a B'room scale that goes to 300lb but we could put the front wheel on it, then the back wheel and add the two numbers.... would that work?

thx.
That doesn't sound like it would work. But I'm no physicist. I have a 10,000lb scale at work. I'll weigh mine tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
877 Posts

thx.
Mine weighed 417 with an absolute full tank.

The 414 used by the media and Yamaha is probably with 90 % fuel.

With some weight reduction parts it now weighs 402, full tank, and with 7 Lbs of T Rex frame sliders.

Would be 395 otherwise. Going from Graves to Akra took it back up 5 Lbs.

FZ 07 went from 402 to 384, no sliders, yet.

Reactions: taoshum and v2Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
49 state bikes are 414. CA bikes are 417 because of the evap canister. Theres a thread on this from late 2013 that explains it...

·
Registered
877 Posts
49 state bikes are 414. CA bikes are 417 because of the evap canister. Theres a thread on this from late 2013 that explains it...
I'm in Cali, but my FZ 09 is from Oregon.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
That doesn't sound like it would work. But I'm no physicist. I have a 10,000lb scale at work. I'll weigh mine tomorrow and let you know.
It will work so long as you raise the wheel that isn't on the scale to the exact same height. Just shim the other wheel with wood until level and keep the bike perfectly vertical and stable. Corner weighting cars happens the same way...but with four scales.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Interesting. I know my bike is ten or so pounds lighter, thanks to a small Shorai and Akro....but down from what? It's so damn light anyway, you know? Plus, I only weigh around 160, so it's not like it even matters. Hell, the wind blows and I fly all around the road. I'm a leaf in the wind....:highly_amused:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Our interstates have scales used for trucks, I weighed a trailer I modded (reinforced floor, raised sides...) on one to determine my new capacity. If you have a large animal vet near you then they may let you use theirs...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Interesting. I know my bike is ten or so pounds lighter, thanks to a small Shorai and Akro....but down from what? It's so damn light anyway, you know? Plus, I only weigh around 160, so it's not like it even matters. Hell, the wind blows and I fly all around the road. I'm a leaf in the wind....:highly_amused:
Is that a Serenity reference I see? Nice!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most large junk and salvage yards also have drive on scales for weighing in scrap metal delivers. They just weigh the truck before and after unload to determine weight of scrap. Might check there if you have one near you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts