Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for ya'll

Riding home today from Fresno after 2 weeks of digging in the in the yard, installing pavers and a retaining wall (would kill the average man)

On the ride I noticed that the right mirror vibrates about 3 times as much as the left one. Go figure.

I first noticed that the images in the right one are pretty blurry and the left are pretty clear. So I lightly touched each one to feel the vibration and that confirmed my suspicion.

Now this is really weird. Any of you rocket scientist or engineer type got a scientific explanation? :confused:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Maybe the throttle tube is vibrating on the handlebar.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I thought the left side would vibrate more than the right???

Because, there is more mass on the right side because of the hydraulic brake reservoir and brake line, throttle tube and two throttle cables.

The only other thought it the right side has a separate mirror perch, where the left side has the mirror perch is part of the clutch lever mount. This added weight of the mirror/clutch lever mount makes the left mirror more stable.

That be my guess. :p

On ride home from work last night, on the highway and quite windy, I found both mirrors were nice and stable with no vibration on either. :confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Cure is to add more Mirrors to the bike. I am thinking "Disco Ball'n" that Tank with Mirrors and that vibrating Mirror won't bother you anymore...

fzfunny.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I noticed that as well. Figured the right mirror was just loose from manufacturing. Have no idea what would cause it though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is scientifically proven that those who touch themselves more than once per day have a left hand that is 3x stronger.....:cool: Your strong left hand is damping the vibrations...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
As others have said the masses of the two sides are different, it seems the right with more mass would vibrate less.

But the different masses will change the frequencies at which the bars resonate, so it might be that at the RPM you were using the left mirror was calm and the right was going with the beat.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It is scientifically proven that those who touch themselves more than once per day have a left hand that is 3x stronger.....:cool: Your strong left hand is damping the vibrations...

Reactions: bigweb2001

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is the bike stock with stock bar ends....and is the bike in perfect tune with the throttle bodies synched correctly?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well Hawker, my joke went over like a fart in a cockpit, but seriously I would switch to the bar end mirrors. I have the CRG arrows with the Rhino bar ends and they are rock steady....

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Well Hawker, my joke went over like a fart in a cockpit, but seriously I would switch to the bar end mirrors. I have the CRG arrows with the Rhino bar ends and they are rock steady....
I also have this set-up. It looks Great, but I find it a bit "unnatural" to use them & sometimes get caught Not knowing who's behind or beside me. :(

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the way the wind brakes around the instrument cluster. The right mirror could vibrating due to the turbulence caused by the wind hitting the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the way the wind brakes around the instrument cluster. The right mirror could vibrating due to the turbulence caused by the wind hitting the instrument cluster.
Don't think this is the case. I noticed the right mirror vibrating before installing my puig touring screen, and it hasn't changed. I'm thinking it might have to do with the brake lines/cylinder... but that would make no sense as I never noticed that with my other bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts