Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi All. I'm struggling a bit trying to understand different types of handlebars. I didn't like the original ones (too high and too close) and got Woodcraft instead- sadly, after a year or so, I have decided to go back to something a bit more upright. However, just to be more difficult, not as upright as the original ones though and I'm in a pickle. I love Rizoma however, their website does not include pictures of all the types they sell and I struggle to visualise what the degree of sweep and inches of rise would actually look like. I was wondering if there is anyone here who has had their handlebars changed and would maybe be able to post a pic with the sweep/rise description so that I could see what it actually looks like on the bike? Any help appreciated :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried flipping them up, removed the spacers but when I go touring the position is still not as comfortable as I'd like it to be. Also, access to ignition is at an awkward angle so looking for a change.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
go to pro tapers website, look up the contour bars, click on the specs tab...this will show all of their models and dimensions along with a diagram. that should give you a better understanding of rise, height and pullback. Renthal also has specs sheets showing the same of theirs. I've had six different bars mounted on my '15 fz, Tag Metals, Buell clubman and CR high, Rizoma drag bar, pro taper carmicheal and universal low. for me the best were the clubmans, currently have the carmicheals installed.
20170620_174752.jpg Buell CR high
CAM00616.jpg Buell clubmans
CAM00575.jpg Rizoma drag bars
P6060067.JPG Universal low
CAM00504.jpg Tag Metal

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got the universal lows. I cut them to exactly factory bar width and threaded them for the stock bar ends. This leaves barely enough room for the controls, and if using the stock mastercylinder you will have to mod it to fit around the wires from the starter pod. you could just not shorten the bars. I also have mine rotated forward slightly
Mine cut to factory length with barends measures: 3 1/2 inches back from the center of the fork tube at the extreme end of the bar. And 2 1/8 inches up from the top of the triple tree to the middle of the grip.

I like the set up, it looks more aggressive, and it really helps on the highway. also much better body positioning when riding aggressive.
if I had it to do again I'd have cut them 1/8" wider on both sides, to fit the controls better.
EDIT: I was able to use the stock cables

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I went with Renthal McGrath bend trimmed 50mm each side and threaded for stock bar ends. They work great at all normal speeds.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start another.

I've never changed the bars on a bike I've owned however the stock one on my FZ just doesn't feel comfortable. It's especially bad when I'm on a longer trip.

Would any of you that have more experience in swapping bars have any recommendations for a set of bars that is friendly to being still upright and slightly closer together (more of a curve)? The bike is mainly used for day trips and commuting/cruising.

Another question as well. Are many of these bars threaded or do you have to do it yourself? The reason I ask is I have threaded Rhinomoto bar ends I'd like to keep using if I could.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recently ordered the PT Carmichaels in black and Driven grips in Red/Black. I want a bit more forward lean than stock and this should suit that. next up is Speigler braided brake lines in red.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Teesea,

Like you, I wanted lower and farther forward bars. I had the the lowest mx bars I could find as well but that still wasn’t enough. I machined the base of the clamps to be lower and also turned them around to move the bars about 5mm more forward. Had to make a new speedo bracket since the clamps were now backwards.

20BFD916-86DE-4F07-A506-45F67510FA31.jpeg

9031C7B9-EDFF-47F7-97E1-948C18950A30.jpeg

AEE4485B-35EA-46DF-A503-D317FD63B963.jpeg

You can do the Rizoma or LSL drag bars but you have to limit your lock to lock. Otherwise the controls will hit your tank.

-Shannon

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Teesea,

Like you, I wanted lower and farther forward bars. I had the the lowest mx bars I could find as well but that still wasn’t enough. I machined the base of the clamps to be lower and also turned them around to move the bars about 5mm more forward. Had to make a new speedo bracket since the clamps were now backwards.

View attachment 150638

View attachment 150642

View attachment 150640

You can do the Rizoma or LSL drag bars but you have to limit your lock to lock. Otherwise the controls will hit your tank.

-Shannon
with stock risers, the Rizoma drag bars work fine and have about 1/4" space between the switch housing and tank at full lock to the left and right. you may also look into the Gilles Tooling risers that are adjustable...can be found on their site or TST Industries.

·
Registered
414 Posts
with stock risers, the Rizoma drag bars work fine and have about 1/4" space between the switch housing and tank at full lock to the left and right. you may also look into the Gilles Tooling risers that are adjustable...can be found on their site or TST Industries.
I have the Gilles Risers and can say they are very nice units! They give about 1/2" of rise over stock, along with the front to back adjustment.

Reactions: thrstrmech

·
Registered
203 Posts
My bike is in storage away from my house so I can't check it but I'd like to order a tap for the bar ends on my new bar. Was the tap size 7/8" NF or 7/8" NC? If anyone remembers off hand I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My bike is in storage away from my house so I can't check it but I'd like to order a tap for the bar ends on my new bar. Was the tap size 7/8" NF or 7/8" NC? If anyone remembers off hand I'd appreciate it.
I am pretty sure it will be coarse.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,802 Posts
You talking about using the stock bar ends? If so, it's 16mm x 1.5 thread...

·
Registered
74 Posts
So If I have hand guards and I order new bars...I will need to thread them in order to be able to reinstall them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts