Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We know the FZ is quicker off the line, but there's more to Riding & Ownership than being the first to 60.....

image.jpg View attachment 9701

Comments/Opinions.....?????:sign13:

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
750 will smoke the S out of an FZ...

·
Registered
154 Posts
on these, 100 comes quick.

The 750 is almost .75 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
584 Posts
We know the FZ is quicker off the line, but there's more to Riding & Ownership than being the first to 60.....

Comments/Opinions.....?????:sign13:

View attachment 9701 View attachment 9696

GSXR looks like an automatic ticket; FZ looks like a "maybe" ticket; here, citation over 100 is automatic license revocation; wave as you go by.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting....... Here's a hypothetical:

Same money.....$9000 All in OTD.....for the 2014 either bike:

But NO plans to resell at a profit, lol

Who's Buying What.......??? And why....???

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
How can you compare a $12,299 four cylinder sport bike to a $8,999 three cylinder naked sports roadster???

What would happen after you added another $3,300 in performance upgrades to the FZ-09?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A race between a three legged donkey, a dog with two legs and a parrot with one wing. Oops! I thought this was the Penn & Teller show for a second.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can you compare a $12,299 four cylinder sport bike to a $8,999 three cylinder naked sports roadster???

What would happen after you added another $3,300 in performance upgrades to the FZ-09?
In theory, I'm comparing the total experience of a new FZ-09 with a few mods like ECU Flash and rear shock, with a Marked down New 2013 GSXR 750. Both about equal money......:)

I'm creating a sort of Apples to Apples with two different breeds. It's not too difficult. :cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm a little biased....

image.jpg
My 2014 GSX-R750 in the crate

They are two (different) machines at the end of the day. For myself, it came down to what I needed the bike to do. The 09 got the job done up to....errrrr...... Let's just say it was up there :)
The money I would've spent on suspension and ECU flash, etc, when added up, was more than what I paid for the gixxer - before taxes. So, really, for me it was an easy choice. I didn't base it just on money, it came down to performance and capability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 09!! But right now, the needs call for a SS bike and it wasn't reasonable, to ask the 09 to do what a gixxer was made to do.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm coming off a '07 gsxr 750 myself, just bought the fz-09 last month. They are each in their own, different beasts. I don't do track, even though I've always wanted to hit up a few track days. Mainly I commute and do the occasional weekend twisties with my buddies. A lot of the roads tend not to be ideal conditions for pushing the gixxer, so I was only riding about 50% of its capabilities.

In stock form, the fz is great for commuting and the cruiser pace around the twisties. Excellent around town, plenty of torque to wheelie and be silly. I couldn't push it at all at my gixxers pace in the twisties comfortably. It's a bit squirrely, the soft suspension really upsets the line. The throttle in A or STD mode is a bit too twitchy for fine adjustments. I just put in a zx10 rear shock this week and that has planted the rear significantly. Next is going to be the forks, then exhaust/flash. I'm hoping with those mods that I should be able to do the same pace as I did on the gixxer, comfortably within the fz's own limits. Just love the torque and power with the engine. The fz engine shines in < 100mph , where as the gixxer is made more for higher powerband revving and butthole puckering speeds.

Well that's my .02 cents. Like its been said... gsxr, made more for track. fz is made more for around town/occasional twisty ride. Now if you throw money at the fz, you can make it into a track bike no problem. Decide what kind of riding you like, and pick the ride that suits you best.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The gixxer 750 will smoke our fz09 pal... It will be close for about 4 seconds then its gone... Fz will beat the gixxer 600 off the line up til about 115 then the 600 blows past as well. Higher rpm, more ponies, extra cylinder, fairings for high speed stability.

We dont have a track bike, but its a badass torquey street bike

As far as which is more fun to ride, subjective...you have to ride both, i loved riding the gixxer but in my honest opinion i am happy to own the fz...

Im gonna go another season with the fz9... Then im thinking 1301 cc ktm superduke r, V twin for the win... Torque= happiness with a light weight bike

Kaiser

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would buy another gixxer but the cost of ownership is to high where I live and I have a house, two kids,cars,r.v...lol can't have everything!
The gixxer 750 is better on all points ...even for long distances rides(to me anyways)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My friend has a gsx-r 750 2006, from 0 to 200kmh the fz-09 has a half ahead ..... 200 + the gsx-r will be faster ... we tried rolling 30 kmh..et stop, I've always been ahead of 0-2000kmh

·
Registered
58 Posts
on the racetrack quarter times ..... I had better results than my friend, 11.010 with my fz-09 and my friends with 11,070 gsx-r 750

1 - 20 of 52 Posts