Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two snow days in a row, off from school, so I have been looking at motorcycles. Has anyone been on an FZ1? It seems like the FZ-09 is targeting a similar audience, but the FZ-09 is 2k less.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thats a tough one, isn't it? I'm surprised the fz 01 is still here as the 09 made it redundant. Hopefully, Yamaha will update th e01 and give us a reason to look a tit. The design of the 01 is from 2006. I still think its one of the best looking bikes ever made, but its outclassed by Yamaha's newest offering.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 1 is probably better for longer rides. The 9 isn't a lot of fun on major highways, atleast not with the weather.

The 9 encourages me to find a back road home and that's fun also. It is a low, down and dirty street bike.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Saw a 2013 FZ1 on the showroom floor. Has a small fairing. A very comfortable seat. Full instruments and a 4.5 gallon tank. all for $10700 plus freight/prep. Previous 2 posts are spot on. Sport touring with a heavy emphasis on the sport side. The rear passenger area has those metal grab handles. Had those handles on my FJ1200 and loved that feature. This dark blue fz1 is beautiful but wouldn't trade for my fz09.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Buzzy in-line fours might be a thing of my past compared to the triple.
Much more narrow at the knees on the FZ-9.
100 lb. weight difference.
Agree the FZ-1 probably makes a better Sport Tourer,though.
Also,I would like the radiator enclosure on the FZ-1

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had two snow days in a row, off from school, so I have been looking at motorcycles. Has anyone been on an FZ1? It seems like the FZ-09 is targeting a similar audience, but the FZ-09 is 2k less.
The FZ1 running with the FZ09 is a bit of a confusing line up. Almost like if Ford greatly improved the V6 Mustang and left the V8 to sit a year or two. There are still merits to the FZ1 but personally with the price and feature list on the FZ09 its a pretty sound bet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I owned four FZ1's before I moved on to the 09. Three first generation (2001, 2003, & 2004) and one second generation (2009). I loved the first generation FZ1; great power, smooth delivery, comfortable for two-up, etc, etc... However, they were a bit outdated and lacking a bit in the looks department; hence the upgrade to the 2009 Model. Sadly I never really fell in love with this bike. Power delivery not nearly as smooth as the first generation, it was much more suited for the "sport" aspect of sport touring out of the box, and really wasn't all that comfortable of a ride. I owned it for less than a year before I was looking for something else. Needless to say, my first test ride on FZ-09 and I was sold and will never look back!

Photos for fun!

2001 FZ1

2003 FZ1

2004 FZ1

2009 FZ1

·
Registered
957 Posts
the FZ1 is more of a sport tourer. It was made to comfortable cruise at triple digit speeds on the highway, with better fuel capacity. Because of its chassis and suspension it holds a line better than a stock FZ09 when cornering hard, but is not as nimble. They're two different bikes for two different purposes. I would say the deciding factor here should be how much of your riding time is going to consist of highway miles? If not much, FZ09 is the far better choice. If a good amount, FZ1.

·
Registered
659 Posts
...with better fuel capacity.
Just wanted to comment on this. Better fuel capacity, yes; But atrocious fuel economy (on the second gen anyway). I was lucky to squeeze 135 miles out of a tank taking it relatively easy. All signs point to a longer range on the FZ-09; I can't wait to be able to see this for myself!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, and for the pm!! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
The problem with the fz1 is low rpm performance. It sounds like there are ecu mods that will help, so its not a condemnation of the bike. As I said, in looks, I think its the best looking bike ever built. BUT>>>

Down low, it feels like a 600. Very little torque, or hp, until 9000 rpm. I've not checked, but up to 8000-9000, I THINK the fz09 is stronger. Maybe not in HP, but in torque. Factor in the 100lb weight savings, and the 09 is a REAL machine. The fz1 is very fun, and exciting to ride. Especially over 10,000 rpm. Under that, not so much...

I'd still love an fz1 to look at. Its far better looking than my Ninja 1000, but the ninja stomps it in hp thats useable in day to day situations. The Ninja makes power fz09 like, and thats perfect for a "street" bike.

Ride one, if you can. It feels insanely fast due to the low power and sudden climb at 9000 rpm. Very two stroke like, to be honest.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 1 is probably better for longer rides. The 9 isn't a lot of fun on major highways, atleast not with the weather.

The 9 encourages me to find a back road home and that's fun also. It is a low, down and dirty street bike.
Well stated. I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
About the longer rides.....I know, on paper, the fz1 is better. In real life, though, I dont think it would be. I've not ridden the 09 (yet) > The bars on the fz1 are horrible. Not sure if they are too low, too high, but they are for sure horrible. Cheap to deal with, since they are regular tube bars, but unless the fz09 has nails in the seat, liek you'd see at a carnival, I'll bet the 09 is as good, or better.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw an FZ1 for the first time today. It was huge, heavy, and nothing like the FZ-09. I could barely get the bike upright. I also saw an R6 for the first time today, a blue '09 R6. It was really nice. If I didn't have back issues, I would get one of those some day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The problem with the fz1 is low rpm performance. It sounds like there are ecu mods that will help, so its not a condemnation of the bike. As I said, in looks, I think its the best looking bike ever built. BUT>>>

Down low, it feels like a 600. Very little torque, or hp, until 9000 rpm. I've not checked, but up to 8000-9000, I THINK the fz09 is stronger. Maybe not in HP, but in torque. Factor in the 100lb weight savings, and the 09 is a REAL machine. The fz1 is very fun, and exciting to ride. Especially over 10,000 rpm. Under that, not so much...

I'd still love an fz1 to look at. Its far better looking than my Ninja 1000, but the ninja stomps it in hp thats useable in day to day situations. The Ninja makes power fz09 like, and thats perfect for a "street" bike.

Ride one, if you can. It feels insanely fast due to the low power and sudden climb at 9000 rpm. Very two stroke like, to be honest.
FZ1 wet weight = 486 lb
FZ09 wet weight =414 lbs

I get a 72 lbs difference.....where does the extra 28 pounds of weight savings come from?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I should have dug out the calculator and ended up at 71.684 pounds...My error. Sometimes THE POINT is worth as much as an actual, 100% accurate value. Seriously, though, th efz09, with an aftermarket exhaust will have closed the horsepower gap up some and gotten close to being 100lbs lighter. That amazing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I love my FZ1. It is a much improved upgrade from my FZ6R. It is a bit of a dog in the low RPMs, but it has a lot of torque. I actually find it is better in slow maneuvers than my 600. I am not into dragging knee, but the FZ1 is nice in corners. I can't say that I have ridden an FZ09, but I can imagine that it would be easier in the twisties. I think the FZ1 is a good all around bike though. If the FZ09 was out when I went to buy the FZ1, I most likely would have gotten that though. Here is my FZ1:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts