Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to the forum and this is my first post. I traded my 2012 gsxr600 in for my fz-09. I was missing the speed of my GSXR. So ever since I wanted to race a 600 and beat one so I could get over it and learn to appreciate the FZ-09s torque. So today, I finally did that.

I rode out to US27 with a few buds and found a 2006 gsxr 600 to race. The outcome was what I had predicted. I got him until ~110 and he let me have it after.
This is the video i posted on my channel. Check it out guys and let me know what you think. Any race stories from you guys?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dope. You had him pretty good where it counts. What's up with the speed wobbles? I never get those from what I can tell. Maybe a bad wheel bearing or unbalanced wheel?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Damn! If he's not going to wear a jacket for his own protection, at least wear one to protect us from having to look at that lame bicep tattoo...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
US27 is probably the safest road in south florida to race. This was my first "race" so I tried my best. There were no cars ahead of us or behind us.
Ya, that's a better place to do it. I rode there once to do few good 3rd gear pull to tune the FZ6R. I'm right down the road from you... sort of. Should come to Homestead on Sept 7th.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't do that to my new bike with just 270 miles, but that's just me. If you need insane speeds, FZ is not your bike. It is a fast bike for sure, but hardly any naked bike is designed to go over 100 mph. Can it go over 100? Yes. Should you? No. For triple digits speeds, you need fairing for wind protection, agressive riding position for handling and control, and a race track so you can somewhat predict road safety. Also I doubt that FZ brakes are as good as any 600 CC super sports.

People buy 600CC for light handling and twisty roads. For lame drag races like this one, just get a used Hayabusa on Craigslist and call it a day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jeez, that gixxer took off like a bullet. My buds got an R6 and I can't believe the acceleration in the upper range. It's astonishing!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That speed wobble is unnerving... I noticed your glove strap was loose. Not sure if that would be enough to do it thou. Loose gear can be a factor if you have no windscreen to hide behind.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was riding in a highway last weekend with my buddy on his 2014 Street Triple and I decided to open it up a bit, at the fastest I was doing 185 km/h which is roughly 115 mph. I didn't feel confident going any faster mostly because of the po-po and the risk of losing my license and bike, but the bike was still pulling hard and was very solid with zero wobble. I think I could have easily got another 40-60 mph out of it without much effort.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That's the best way to run it in, wind it out through the gears and use engine breaking to slow down.
And naked are designed to go fast, I used to take my streetfightered 711 to 250kph often enough with no stability issues. Track and sometimes street during spirited sports touring with the boys.
The mt09 has the same brakes as the r6, but maybe smaller rotors.
No idea about the wobble, it's never happened to me.
Maybe you need more weight over the front end.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I get the speed wobbles sometimes too. I would imagine a steering damper would cure that issue, but I don't feel like spending the $ on it right now :)

I have a 2012 ZX6R and this is about the same outcome. The FZ smokes it low end through the mid, but once we get up top the Ninja pulls on me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love winding up the wife's Gixxer 750 but the little [email protected]#$er goes 80 mph in first gear. I too fear the Poe Poe I need my license for my job. So while I love the engine in an SS the realities are hard. Plus the riding position kills me. I almost stepped up to a Super Duke but I'd probably be dead or in jail. And I love doin' wheelies and at that the FZ09 is a gem. Insurance for my FZ is $177 and the Gixxer is $800. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The fz09 has more street-able power and torque. It is at home on the streets. Contrasted with the 600cc SS that are at home on a race track. I still love the long gearing of supersports, even for the street. But it is simply not practical.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe one of the tuners or engine guys can comment on this. One of the British magazines...I dont remember who, or the context, but it mentioned it was harder to get top speed out of the triples as opposed to the fours. Is this true, and if so, why?

I'll guess its soemthign to do with not having a 16,00 redline? But even then....

If you took an r1 and lobbed a cylinder off, you'd be close to the same displacement of an fz09. The r1 rev limiter is right at 14,00 rpm. If you removed oene cylinder, would this no longer be possible?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Max rpm has nothing to do with cc's or number of cylinder... it's about stroke (aka piston speed) Anything over 22 m/s is not recommend... @ 11250 the FZ09 is about max out. It get more technical than but its an easy way to explain it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts