Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love twisties and track days as much as the next guy, but one of my main reasons for going back to a nimble, torquey streetfighter/standard-style bike from a supersport was because of the fact that getting TO the twisties sometimes makes those weekend rides just a chore. I wanted something that was equally at home tearing up urban backroads as it was hitting the track. Being able to enjoy commuting to and from work in a densely populated urban area, and being able to enjoy riding on roads that would make supersport riders groan in misery, is what makes this bike amazing to me. Was wondering who else got theirs for that reason, for use as an urban assault weapon =)

·
Registered
187 Posts
well, thats why a few years ago i bought my fz1 and did what i did to it to be able to handle all those options. that's what the FZ series is for. it aint the best at anything but its pretty ok at everything!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, my bike is used for commuting 75% of the time, usually one day during the weekend I get up into the mountains. I happen to live in the Rockies so Mountains aren't that hard to find. One of my favorite parts of the day is my ride home after work, I almost always take the super long way through the back roads.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I did too. To commute to work, run chores, get groceries (like that milk ad :p), go out on weekends and do week-long (or longer) trips- and enjoy while at it. (otherwise I could have just got a Honda, no?)
The UJM is back!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Living in E. TN, my bike was bought to ride the twisty stuff and I will almost never commute to work on it. Part of that reason is that because I live 42.5 miles from work and I leave at 4:20 or so in the morning. Too many deer/animals/stuff in the road.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am having a blast riding my FZ around town commuting to work, then taking it out for weekend rides up and down the mountains in the twisty stuff on Mt. Palomar here in SoCal. Best all around bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The area I live is a mixture of urban, country winding roads and straight interstate. I bought it because it does all this well.
I really loathe the pure sport track style riding on the street. The laid down position is rarely good form on the street... Well for me anyway. The 9 has a do it all riding position. As soon as I saw one, I knew it would be fun on all of the roads I haunt.
Nothing like a fully crossed power slide to affirm the ergonomics of this bike. Good morning Vietnam nam!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I live about 3 miles from downtown Nashville and I love the bike for city use. My partially squared off back tire doesn't agree, but my ability to park damn near anywhere as well as have fun in town is a great reason to own one. I definitely have more fun with it when I get out of the city though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine is mostly a commuter. As others have said, makes going to and coming from work fun. I. Have a 16 mile one- way commute. Az desert so I ride about 300 days/ year. I love the light weight and power. I ride conservative about 90% of the time and the rest...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lets put it this way... I don't think I've ever rode the bike without getting yelled and cursed at by drivers on my way to work. Splitting lanes with my 2 brothers exhaust when people are on the phone seems to really piss them off... And for some reason it's just so much fun:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wheelie to work and back om a daily basis. Having fun between the lights is more fun than doing flat out runs on a SuperSport

1 - 13 of 13 Posts