Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a very long thread, but first let me introduce myself to the forum. My name is Scott Soper and I’ve spent pretty much all of the last 45 years or so involved with motorcycles in one way or another. So you know where I’m coming from, here’s my pertinent background information:

• Riding more than 45 years
• Owned more than 60 motorcycles – over 30 at one time…
• 13 years as an MSF instructor
• 15+ years road racing in the Northwest with a dozen class championships in multiple classes
• Retired from racing (for the LAST time) in 2003 with the OMRRA #4 plate
• 15 years (and counting) as a track day instructor for PSSR, 3 years with 2Fast.
• 20 years experience building championship winning motors
• I also have the distinction of having the most laps on a motorcycle at Portland International Raceway

Oh, and one more thing, the Stoltec flash tunes are developed on the dyno that was originally owned by Wayne Chan of Dynoworks who just happened to be my race team partner which is how I accumulated hundreds, if not thousands of hours of hands-on dyno time. I truly believe that having complete access to a dyno for testing components was the key to my engine building and racing success. To give you one example, back in the 90s FZR400s were a popular race class. Stock they put out about 50 HP, with a pipe they might hit 60 and in typical restrictive supersport trim they would be around 62-63 HP. Our FZRs were always 67-69 HP and others couldn’t stay in our draft.

I picked up my FZ-09 back in July with 3000 miles on it. Believe it or not, I’m the third owner. Of course the first thing I did was take it to the next track day (I do almost 20 track days a year) along with my R6. I discovered just how bad the suspension was – that will be a whole other article. The motor was great of course so I began my quest for more power.

My ultimate goal may not be for everyone but I plan to document each step for those that want to choose how far they want to go. But first let me state this – I intend to build a powerful FZ-09 STREET bike that also works well on the track. Because it’s a street bike and because I don’t have the mentality of an 18 year-old, the bike needs to remain quiet enough to ride down my street at 6:00 AM without waking the neighbors. If you’re running one of the cut-off short pipes with no baffle on the street, you’re not doing the sport any favors. Yes, I’m talking to you with the hacksaw.
My goal is to build a motor that puts out 125 HP without a baffle and somewhere over 120 with a baffle. These are the steps I plan on documenting:

Step 1 – Exhaust and ECU flash – more on this later
Step 2 – Velocity stack and airbox modifications
Step 3 - Valve timing and adjust modifications
Step 4 – Porting and compression increase

The steps are arranged in logical sequence so that they build on top of each other. The first step may be one of the most expensive but the build certainly has to begin there. Step 2, if successful, will not require much investment and I expect a 2-4% gain. The stock airbox is very well made and so there may be little if anything to reap from this. Step 3 should move the power curve up at the expense of a little bottom end and gain 3-5% on top. The motor has so much bottom end I don’t expect this to have much impact down low. Step 4 should produce about a 5% gain in my experience depending on how well the original valve seat to port area is shaped.

Step 1 Exhaust and ECU flash
From my experience on the dyno with hundreds of different pipes I feel that I can somewhat tell by design how a pipe is going to work. The problem with the FZ-09 is the “shorty” pipe configuration. Motors don’t scavenge efficiently through a short path which is why the stock pipe “can” is baffled to lengthen the exhaust route. You can check MotoGP bikes or others to see that they tend to run pipes longer than 30 inches even on high revving motors. My 2004 R1 had very long Graves pipes out the tail and it produced 172 HP at the rear wheel – amazing Nels to this day.

So after studying the various pipes available I went with the clear choice – an Akrapovic Carbon exhaust with the loop under the swingarm. I had to wait a month for it to arrive but it was well worth it. Once mounted and placed on the dyno it produced 113 HP without the baffle BEFORE the flash and 111 HP with the baffle. Nels flashed the ECU with the full Arrow map and found it to be TOO RICH! That's only logical because the short pipe isn't holding the pressure wave as it should and so it requires more fuel. He leaned it out about 10% and did some further tweaking to end up with 116 HP without the baffle and 114 with the baffle. Nels said that my pipe without the baffle was quieter than many of the pipes he’s tested with a baffle. That’s one of the advantages of the looped pipe. More importantly, Nels told me that it’s the only pipe that makes more than stock power with the baffle inserted. As a matter of fact, my pipe with a baffle makes almost as much power as most pipes without a baffle. Akro knew what they were doing when they built this pipe. The fact that I got it for about $700 is just icing on the cake. I cannot recommend this pipe highly enough – it’s just fantastic. If you’re worried about it weighing 3 or 4 pounds more than a Ti pipe, skip a couple of cheeseburgers and get over it. BTW, when you open the throttle and in second and it hits 9,000 rpm it lofts the front wheel and carries it through third gear. That’s WITH the baffle in it.

So taking 116 HP into step 2 I hope to add 2 HP on top giving me 118 HP. Step 3 hopefully will gain another 3 giving me 121 HP and step 4 should add another 5 or 6 HP giving me a solid 125 HP without the baffle and since the pipe flows so well I don’t expect to lose more than 3 or 4 HP with the baffle.

I don’t pull these numbers out of the sky, these are logically predicted gains that I have found in the past from countless hours of development. I will post my results of step 2 by the end of the month if my velocity stacks come in from Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
:happy1:

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing your results.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I like quiet street bikes and plan on keeping the stock exhaust. But I'd like to see the results of an outdoor, real world decibel comparison of the Akrapovic Carbon with baffle and the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum Scott and congrats on the new/used FZ. It sounds like you have a plan and I too will be interested in following your progress on the bike. I don't use my FZ for the track, that is relegated to the 07 600RR, but I'm out there close to 20 times a year also. My wife and I are Instructors with Sportbike Track Time down in the Southern Region. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Welcome, looking forward to your results.

curious, how close do you plan on getting to this FZ-09?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Reactions: Sopers

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
giggity - sounds like an epic build - welcome

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome to the forum Scott look forward to your build.I had Nels do my dyno tune on my arrow exhaust and I can occur with baffle no gain vs stock but 116hp 65 ft lbs with out baffle.I live in the Puyallup area next year I'd like to take a course out at Pacific Raceways to be a better rider.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome to The MACHINE, chief! :icon_salut:
Anticipating a thread with torque throughout.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nels told me about you while flashing my ECU at his shop a couple weeks ago. Cool. Cheers, and good luck, Greg.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts