Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
They both sound pretty positive to me. So far every single review has pointed out a "twitchy" throttle and too soft front end. So some fork work might be in order, but I can deal with that :D I can't wait to get mine... All the reviewers are saying they want the bike, so that's confidence inspiring! Get here already :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure we are reading the same thing... They're 'all' saying they 'want' the bike?

Poor throttle response
Poor range - 120miles per tank
Poor Front suspension possibly rear too
Sensitive rear braking
Seat comfort appears to be 'ok' but I've read reviewers starting to notice it's thinness after a 150 miles. You could argue thats a pretty good chunk of miles but they are also selling accessories to make it into a sport tourer so you would expect it to be a little better in that regard.

There are definite pro's to the bike but one of the major ones is the price. If you add up what it takes to get the front and rear suspension right alone you are talking a different price tag.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure we are reading the same thing... They're 'all' saying they 'want' the bike?

Poor throttle response
Poor range - 120miles per tank
Poor Front suspension possibly rear too
Sensitive rear braking
Seat comfort appears to be 'ok' but I've read reviewers starting to notice it's thinness after a 150 miles. You could argue thats a pretty good chunk of miles but they are also selling accessories to make it into a sport tourer so you would expect it to be a little better in that regard.

There are definite pro's to the bike but one of the major ones is the price. If you add up what it takes to get the front and rear suspension right alone you are talking a different price tag.
I disagree with one thing you say. I really don't see the suspension costing much to sort out, a new set of springs and the proper weight fork oil should be plenty for most of us. Just my opinion though, we'll have to wait and find out. But despite the flaws that everyone has pointed out, pretty much every review has said it's the best and most exciting new bike out of Japan in years, that's high praise considering how many bikes it competes against.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I disagree with one thing you say. I really don't see the suspension costing much to sort out, a new set of springs and the proper weight fork oil should be plenty for most of us. Just my opinion though, we'll have to wait and find out. But despite the flaws that everyone has pointed out, pretty much every review has said it's the best and most exciting new bike out of Japan in years, that's high praise considering how many bikes it competes against.
That could be the case, I hope it is, I want it to succeed. I have the FZ6R and it's been a great, reliable machine for me so I know Yamaha makes quality stuff. On this one I'm going to sit on the sidelines though and wait for the next revision. It kind of seems like they are looking past the flaws even though they mention them in the reviews so maybe they aren't as big a deal.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It kind of seems like they are looking past the flaws even though they mention them in the reviews so maybe they aren't as big a deal.
all bikes have flaws. owners either learn to live with the imperfections, find fixes for them, or get different bikes.

your fz6r for example. a 65hp bike that weighs 470 pounds with a steel tube frame, two piston front brake calipers and non adjustable suspension. its biggest flaw is probably that its msrp is only 2 benjamins shy of the 09's.

but you're happy with your bike. you've gotten used to its imperfections. maybe you put a pipe on it for more power, upgraded the brakes with stainless lines and aftermarket pads, had the suspension redone, etc. whatever the case, you were able to overlook/fix its flaws to your satisfaction.

it's no different with the 09. or any other bike for that matter.

all of the reviews of the 09 have mentioned the abrupt throttle and soft suspension, but all of them have also concluded that in spite of its flaws, the bike is a whole shitload of fun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
all bikes have flaws. owners either learn to live with the imperfections, find fixes for them, or get different bikes.

your fz6r for example. a 65hp bike that weighs 470 pounds with a steel tube frame, two piston front brake calipers and non adjustable suspension. its biggest flaw is probably that its msrp is only 2 benjamins shy of the 09's.

but you're happy with your bike. you've gotten used to its imperfections. maybe you put a pipe on it for more power, upgraded the brakes with stainless lines and aftermarket pads, had the suspension redone, etc. whatever the case, you were able to overlook/fix its flaws to your satisfaction.

it's no different with the 09. or any other bike for that matter.

all of the reviews of the 09 have mentioned the abrupt throttle and soft suspension, but all of them have also concluded that in spite of its flaws, the bike is a whole shitload of fun.
I agree with you that all bikes have compromises but when you compare price points on machines you have to take into consideration where the compromises were made. For example, the Street Triple has been one model that is being compared to the FZ-09, if you just compared price tags you'd say the 09 beats it hands down. But when you take into consideration the suspension, throttle response, hp, range, etc.... then the 09 doesn't look to be as clear a winner. I'm not saying it won't prove to be a better bike but these are the compromised areas that add up in cost savings to manufacture that make it more affordable for the consumer that need to be swapped out to even get it close to on par with a competitors stock version.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For example, the Street Triple has been one model that is being compared to the FZ-09, if you just compared price tags you'd say the 09 beats it hands down. But when you take into consideration the suspension, throttle response, hp, range, etc.... then the 09 doesn't look to be as clear a winner.
i get what you're saying and i don't disagree. but consider...

the standard street triple is about $1400 more than the 09. the strip has non-adjustable suspension. $1400 can get the 09's suspension sorted and dialled in perfectly for you and you might have enough left over to fix the throttle response. with the strip, you're stuck with whatever suspension settings triumph decided was best. unless you bought the r version of the street triple which is only $600 more and has fully adjustable suspension and radially mounted brake calipers, but then that's a $2000 price difference between it and the 09. and for 2 large, you'll be able to get both the 09's suspension and fuelling spot-on.

but the street triple won't have the 09's bigger motor. even if they both end up with the same peak power, the 09 makes more torque which usually means that you'll have more power everywhere else. torquey motors are fun. it's why everyone praises the triumph's 675cc triples over the japanese 600cc fours - that extra 75cc's is what makes most of the difference. the street triple is down 175cc's to the 09.

in another post i mentioned triumph oem parts prices - the larger parts (i.e. things other than consumables like bulbs, spark plugs, filters, etc.) are substantially more expensive. often twice as expensive, sometimes even more. and you won't get the parts for weeks. so that factors into the total cost of ownership.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im liking that the CW rider is 6'2" as am I and he didnt complain about being cramped or that the bike is too small for him. A positive for me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What most defines the essential character of a motorcycle?

I think it's the motor.

And Yamaha has created what is possibly the best motor ever made for a street bike. (One tester reported revving easily from 1K to redline in sixth gear!)

Suspension is a non-issue. Relatively easy upgrades.

My only concern is the throttle.

Apparently B mode is good. But I will still try to make it perfect for the ultimate riding experience. And since all my previous bikes were carbureted, I'm getting up to speed on engine management systems.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes the motor is the heart, but the basic chassis is there too, the 09 engine in a Bolt chassis would be expensive to turn into a naked sport bike lol.

I'm maybe 5% concerned about the frame flex issue, but chances are it will be fine for non-podium sport riding.

Coming from the SV650 upgrading the 09 suspension is fine with me.

This will be my first ride-by-wire or FI bike too, I think my throttle skills are reasonably good, but I'll want the sport or at least the standard mode to be smoother than the reviews make it sound.

Maybe a Power Commander will be the way to go, but their site doesn't list one for the FZ8, so will/when there be one for the 09?

OOPS! lol, looked again, there is a Commander for the FZ8
Welcome to Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module
So how long does it typically take Power Commander to offer a unit for a new bike?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Won't be long I'm sure, a Power Commander or equivalent is pretty much required once you change the exhaust for example, because it affects the engine's volumetric efficiency. And I'm sure there will be lots of exhaust options pretty soon after its release.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Won't be long I'm sure, a Power Commander or equivalent is pretty much required once you change the exhaust for example, because it affects the engine's volumetric efficiency. And I'm sure there will be lots of exhaust options pretty soon after its release.
Yea, sometimes you can get by without a Power commander if you are only doing a slip on type exhaust, but even that is not ideal. A full exhaust system almost always requires some type of fuel management system or a reflash of the ECU so that you are not running in an extremely lean condition. I've read that Graves Motorsports will be making a system for the FZ 09 and that one will be top quality and make decent additional HP if they do like they usually do with all of their other exhausts. Since the FZ 09 is a one piece unit from the headers all the way to the exhaust tip, it looks like a full system is going to be required unless someone gets creative.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Yea, sometimes you can get by without a Power commander if you are only doing a slip on type exhaust, but even that is not ideal. A full exhaust system almost always requires some type of fuel management system or a reflash of the ECU so that you are not running in an extremely lean condition. I've read that Graves Motorsports will be making a system for the FZ 09 and that one will be top quality and make decent additional HP if they do like they usually do with all of their other exhausts. Since the FZ 09 is a one piece unit from the headers all the way to the exhaust tip, it looks like a full system is going to be required unless someone gets creative.
I intend to take a stock muffler and split the case along the welds, modify the baffling inside, and then TIG weld it back together. I'm only looking to get a bit more sound though, not doing it for any power gains... The only problem will be getting my hands on a spare muffler to work on :)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My Honda CBR954RR had a snatchy throttle issue from the factory, which is more the result of making the bike EPA compliant by leaning out the initial rev range. I put a Power Commander on the bike, plugged in my laptop and modified my map to richen up the mixture all the way into the mid range, which totally cured the jerkiness. I will do the same with the FZ, but might go to a Bazzaaz this time after I see what Graves has to offer in a full pipe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ivan at Ivan's Performance will have it sorted in a few months, just like he did with the 06 FZ1. Decent bike from Yamaha, an ABSOLUTE beast after spending a few bucks at Ivan's.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
So who is Ivan....and where is he located?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts