Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shortened the tail a few weeks back by taking about 2" out of the rear bracket. Supplemental brake light added with a modulator two weeks back. While waiting for my ECU to come back from Nick, I installed rear running lights using sockets from stock front signals. Before/after of the tail mod, and a video of the running lights and modulated supplemental brake light.

FZ-09 12-29-13 Tail Compare.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
sturarth, your gettin it done. making those changes to you new bike. those turnsignals and the added lower light should watch your back good I hope. they look really bright in the video but outside in the sun they will be just like the front so a good thing for sure.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Stuarth,
Thats a great mod- I have been looking to increase tail visibility as well without adding too much on there.
Can you tell us the process of how you made the rear signals running? Did you get new sockets? How do you install them? Do you know of any LED blinkers that will do the same front and back?
Which brand of supplemental tail light is that one? Are they bright enough in daylight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Stuarth,
Thats a great mod- I have been looking to increase tail visibility as well without adding too much on there.
Can you tell us the process of how you made the rear signals running? Did you get new sockets? How do you install them? Do you know of any LED blinkers that will do the same front and back?
Which brand of supplemental tail light is that one? Are they bright enough in daylight?

Thanks!
I know there are blinkers with a taillight section and a blinker section.
Don't know the brand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's the modulator that I bought- works great so far, and it's tiny so it fits almost anywhere. I have it set to blinking option 3 in the video- rapid initially, then slowing to full on after about 5 seconds. Video doesn't quite show it properly due to the video frame speed, but it's basically 5-6 very rapid flashes, then progressively longer ones to full on.

I bought some front signals from someone else on the forum which are identical to the rear except they have a three wire hookup for running lights. I used the stock rear wiring. I removed the rear license/signal assembly for ease of access but you can do it without removing the assembly if you don't mind some neck craning and contortions... Long story short, I clipped the sockets out of front and rear signals leaving enough wiring to make a splice inside the housing.

It's easiest to remove the turn signal completely and separate the rubber mounting sleeve from the signal itself by removing the nut that holds them together. That way you can pull the wire through the housing end for more working room. You'll need an extra wire for the center wire on the socket/bulb holder which is for the running light. You'll then need to pierce the rubber grommet and feed the new wire through it. You can then feed the wire all the way through the sleeve to the end and hook into the running lightwire there which would be the cleanest install.

I tapped in to the license bracket light wiring under the seat and ran a single wire down, then added two bullet connectors for the running light wires. A bit more suseptible to water there so if I were to do it over again, I'd run individual wires up in the original sleeves under the seat. Sometimes it pays to think things through a bit more....

The supplemental stop light I bought from Cycle Gear for $25. I don't recall the brand. They make it in clear too, but only had the red lens version when I was there. It's quite visiblein the daylight, but is most visible if it's not angled up too steeply. I've never neen rear-ended but am paranoid about it. particularly in this day and age with so many distractions. I've seen enough people looking at their cell phone, or GPS, or their passenger, and if it helps just one person see me that might not, it's worth it. I have running lights and the supplemental brake light on all of my bikes, and will be adding the modulator to the two that don't have them yet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks, I'm following along with this thread and really like what you have done. Your explanation helps a lot. I was having trouble believing there was a running light wire going to the rear turn signals but the socket wasn't set up to use it. As it turns out, there is no such wire, so your explanation about installing an extra wire from the former front turn signal / running light (which is now installed at the rear of your FZ-09) to the license plate light wire made your plan very clear. Nice.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's the modulator that I bought- works great so far, and it's tiny so it fits almost anywhere. I have it set to blinking option 3 in the video- rapid initially, then slowing to full on after about 5 seconds. Video doesn't quite show it properly due to the video frame speed, but it's basically 5-6 very rapid flashes, then progressively longer ones to full on.

I bought some front signals from someone else on the forum which are identical to the rear except they have a three wire hookup for running lights. I used the stock rear wiring. I removed the rear license/signal assembly for ease of access but you can do it without removing the assembly if you don't mind some neck craning and contortions... Long story short, I clipped the sockets out of front and rear signals leaving enough wiring to make a splice inside the housing.

It's easiest to remove the turn signal completely and separate the rubber mounting sleeve from the signal itself by removing the nut that holds them together. That way you can pull the wire through the housing end for more working room. You'll need an extra wire for the center wire on the socket/bulb holder which is for the running light. You'll then need to pierce the rubber grommet and feed the new wire through it. You can then feed the wire all the way through the sleeve to the end and hook into the running lightwire there which would be the cleanest install.

I tapped in to the license bracket light wiring under the seat and ran a single wire down, then added two bullet connectors for the running light wires. A bit more suseptible to water there so if I were to do it over again, I'd run individual wires up in the original sleeves under the seat. Sometimes it pays to think things through a bit more....

The supplemental stop light I bought from Cycle Gear for $25. I don't recall the brand. They make it in clear too, but only had the red lens version when I was there. It's quite visiblein the daylight, but is most visible if it's not angled up too steeply. I've never neen rear-ended but am paranoid about it. particularly in this day and age with so many distractions. I've seen enough people looking at their cell phone, or GPS, or their passenger, and if it helps just one person see me that might not, it's worth it. I have running lights and the supplemental brake light on all of my bikes, and will be adding the modulator to the two that don't have them yet.
That's a great mod- thank you for the detailed instructions- hopefully during installation time, I can follow! Definitely would like more visibility even though never been rear-ended either. Hopefully someone can donate/sell off their fronts to me but I can ask the dealer to get me some too. Or Yamabits should have them I think.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks. I would post a thread on the for sale section- that's what I did, and I had two hits quickly. Paid $20 including shipping. Now I have spare housings/lenses, just in case...

I have a friend who lives in Phoenix who was rear-ended at a stoplight while on his Harley a couple of years ago. Took him a year before he was able to get back on a bike after having his pelvis broken in the crash. Not likely a blinking stoplight would have helped, but I figure a red helmet, jacket, supplemental blinking stop light and running lights make me about as visible as can be when riding. Knock-wood...

This is the brake light that I bought. Should have been more patient and bought the clear, but patience has never been a strong suit of mine.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...S/Stopper-Brake-Plate-LED-Light/p/33981_59435

1 - 10 of 10 Posts