Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of either selling my FZ-07 or just adding an FZ-09. I rode both at the local Yamaha dealer and loved both but the snatchy on off throttle response made me coose the 07. I'm told that the mapping for the 2015 FZ-09 has eliminated this nuisance. Can anyone enlighten me as to wweather that is in fact the case. Thanks!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, Yamaha has provided an ECU flash from factory.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
the new factory flash is supposed to be a lot better but I have not tried it so I can't say for positive from personal experience.

In either case, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix so it is not anything to worry about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking of either selling my FZ-07 or just adding an FZ-09. I rode both at the local Yamaha dealer and loved both but the snatchy on off throttle response made me coose the 07. I'm told that the mapping for the 2015 FZ-09 has eliminated this nuisance. Can anyone enlighten me as to wweather that is in fact the case. Thanks!!
I have the 2015 FZ09. I also ride a 2006 FZ6, and a dirt bike.

The throttle on the FZ09 is not grabby or snatchy at all. It's very, very torquey, but the torque comes on smoothly. The FZ6, for instance, is very snatchy and annoying. Fortunately the low end torque on the FZ6 is so low that you can manage and then eventually ignore the snatchy throttle.

In B mode, especially, the 2015 FZ09 is very well behaved. We'll, except for the suspension, of course. :-/.

RTW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. There are several used ones available, can the local dealer reflash if I buy a used one and are they doing it as a warranty situation?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep can confirm 2015 map has no snatchiness that I can detect.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is a recall on the 2014 FZ-09 for the headlight harness which they fix for free with a new longer wiring harness.

Yamaha FZ09 motorcycles recalled

I do believe the snatchy throttle issue / ECU flash, is a service bulletin which Yamaha will fix if you complain about it. There is also a service bulletin for the (CCT) cam chain tensioner, if people complain about it Yamaha will also fit it. For the ECU and CCT, they may only do something while the bike is under warranty??? I haven't heard of anyone being denied the fixes because their bikes were past the warranty period. So it might be something worth checking into with Yamaha if it is a used 09.

p.s. - I just emailed Yamaha Canada to see if their have anything in writing about the 2014 ECU reflash and noisy CCT replacement. If I get something I will post it.

Yamaha Canada got back to me already and this is what they had to say about the ECU flash and headlight recall. They did not say anything about a noise (chattering) CCT, so I get a feeling that one is a being dealt with on a case by case basis, up to the dealers discretion. In other words if you complain enough about a noise CCT they'll probably fix it so you stop bugging them, lol

The rely from Yamaha

Hello,

I've checked in my Yamaha system with the VIN provided and I do see a outstanding recall M14-072 about the Headlight that needs to be done on your unit. and I do see the bulletin M14-073 about the throttle.

I would suggest to contact or go see the nearest Yamaha motorcycle dealership, provide your VIN number and they will be able to provide you more detailed information attributed to the recall and bulletin.

Regards,
Remi

YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA LTD.
480 Gordon Baker Road, Toronto, Ontario, M2H3B4

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just request the dealer do the factory reflash on any 2014 models. If you buy the bike from the dealer, they should include that and the headlight recall into the sale.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a recall on the 2014 FZ-09 for the headlight harness which they fix for free with a new longer wiring harness.

Yamaha FZ09 motorcycles recalled
There is also a service bulletin for the (CCT) cam chain tensioner, if people complain about it Yamaha will also fit it.
What would be the complaint for the CCT? Is it just the noise? Would that be the squealing I hear when the bike is cold (yes, I have searched the archive)?

RTW

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
What would be the complaint for the CCT? Is it just the noise? Would that be the squealing I hear when the bike is cold (yes, I have searched the archive)?

RTW
Some people are reporting a noisy chattering sound from the automatic CCT. Some people have had it fixed by their dealer and they replace it with a slightly modified version under warranty. Others are choosing to just replace it with an APE manual CCT.

Yamaha Cam Chain Tensioners

I am not sure if this is where everyone is ordering it from? or off a different site???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure how much riding you will be doing on the 07 if you have both bikes...I can't see the point in insuring both, but that's because insurance here is through the roof. If it were me i'd sell the 07 and get the 09.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure how much riding you will be doing on the 07 if you have both bikes...I can't see the point in insuring both, but that's because insurance here is through the roof. If it were me i'd sell the 07 and get the 09.
You're probably right. Could just keep both till I figure out which one to keep!

·
Registered
65 Posts
No snatchiness on my '15, just instant torque.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts