Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will own one of these bikes when released in September. Just wanted to get others opinions on what I believe is the only major problem, as far as I'm concerned anyway... The exhaust is one complete unit, which means there will be no slip-on options... this translates to over $1000 for a "complete" system, including fuel management of some sort, PCV, etc... The Yamaha FZ6r has a similar setup, and when replaced with a full exhaust system, it is ridiculously loud. As I must have an after market exhaust on my bike (for the "improved sound"), not having a slip on available is going to be a major hurdle for me... Some FZ6r owners modified their exhaust setups by drilling out, or gutting a portion of the rear section. On the youtube videos, they sounded good and not too loud. This is an option, but I would hate to chop up a brand new bike. I dunno, maybe someone can make me feel better about this one piece exhaust issue... any thoughts? :confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
I will have to wait until I take delivery of the bike before I'll be able to decide whether or not the stock exhaust is going to work for me. I would be willing to bet that a full system would lighten the bike enough that it would be right at 400lbs even.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Yea, pretty much what WERA689 said. I won't be choppin' up or hacking away on the stock exhaust. But, when the aftermarket exhausts start hitting the market, and a power commander is available for this bike, then it might be time to do a couple of mods. Akropovic, Graves, and some of the others will surely jump in the market, it's just a matter of time. And yes, full systems are usually very expensive, but the buyer not only pays high dollars for the top of the line quality that they make, they also pay for the manufacturer spending the R&D time to build and tune an exhaust that "works" with that particular motor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For me, i will let it stock until I seen a full system that I like. Anything stock that i will replace i will need to keep it (i can be told to work anywhere in canada, so inspection in different province) so I won`t cut or modify the stock one. Also I think like some others that if it`s not designed and tune for it it will not be good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Prefer a quiet stock pipe. I don't want to hear the racket. I wear ear plugs, legal in CA. I'm pretty sure my neighbors don't want to hear it at 7AM Sunday morning either. I have one bike with an aftermarket pipe, off road, it's not obnoxious, and it doesn't melt textile pants like the stock pipe. Still not a fan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I"m one that believes that trying to "re-engineer" a stock exhaust is stupid, cheap, and bound to make the bike MUCH worse. They may be heavy and quiet, but the stock stuff is surprisingly effective. Do it right, or leave it alone, IMHO.
No doubt about it!! Great advice, was told the same thing talking to one of my AF Crew Chief buddies years ago who was also a motorcycle mechanic, "Stay Stock, Stay Happy" They are worth more down the road too when its time to sell if they remain stock.

Minor appearance mods like signals and rear license plate mods to suit taste work real well though. But WTF mod away, as long as done right and the $ are not considered, cause if your having fun then its worth it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will own one of these bikes when released in September. Just wanted to get others opinions on what I believe is the only major problem, as far as I'm concerned anyway... The exhaust is one complete unit, which means there will be no slip-on options... this translates to over $1000 for a "complete" system, including fuel management of some sort, PCV, etc... The Yamaha FZ6r has a similar setup, and when replaced with a full exhaust system, it is ridiculously loud. As I must have an after market exhaust on my bike (for the "improved sound"), not having a slip on available is going to be a major hurdle for me... Some FZ6r owners modified their exhaust setups by drilling out, or gutting a portion of the rear section. On the youtube videos, they sounded good and not too loud. This is an option, but I would hate to chop up a brand new bike. I dunno, maybe someone can make me feel better about this one piece exhaust issue... any thoughts? :confused:
Not sure what you mean by "improved sound"? Just for reference... I had 2 Triumph Street Trip R's, and 3 other street bikes, and the Triumph's were the only bikes with stock exhausts. I hated the looks of the stock Triumph pipes, but they sounded great, and were pretty loud in the mid to upper rpm ranges, much like (to me) the FZ-09 sounds on video. I like the looks of the stock FZ-09 exhaust (many don't), so I plan on keeping it, provided it sounds good stock like my STR's. It's also nice to have that stealth factor as well when wanted, the last ticket I got (this spring, on a bike), the cop said he heard me coming, and it was pouring rain. Although it would be nice to get to that 400lb mark, and an exhaust would put you around 404lbs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Home modifying an exhaust? .. Worth every dollar you put into it....

Which come to think of it.... Drill bit ... Couple bucks .... Electricity ... Under a dollar ... If you want to go high tech and paint the edges of the drill holes .. Then maybe a dollar or two more ...

... So yeah ... Home exhausts ... Worth .. Under $10????? ..

Sounds about right..... And sound exactly like a home job too!

W

·
0 Posts
I"m one that believes that trying to "re-engineer" a stock exhaust is stupid, cheap, and bound to make the bike MUCH worse. They may be heavy and quiet, but the stock stuff is surprisingly effective. Do it right, or leave it alone, IMHO.
These days that's good advice. And it looks like a fuel injection remap and some suspension work should be first on the list to get the thing shaped up. Exhaust systems are very expensive because it's well-known that's what most people feel adds a little more glamour and a personal touch, thus the mark-up. But when building a budget bike, which the FZ-09 is, unit construction is going to be applied wherever it can save money. Ironically, unit construction was not applied to the frame design but was used in building the exhaust, just the opposite of what we'd see on more expensive machines in most cases.

I don't mind a little bit of engine growl but after having added plenty of noise pollution to the atmosphere myself over the years I've adopted defensive riding and a little conspicuity instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SV650's had a full 1 piece system, so you had to cut the pipe for any slip on. I would guess that someone will make a slip on that requires you to cut the exhaust. I don't mind the stock pipe, I certainly wouldn't be willing to separate myself from a Stack of Grants just for looks, so if a little drilling helps...otoh
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've looked at the stock exhaust closely, what I found is that there is a heat shroud around the tip that is bolted on. I don't see why anyone couldn't swap out that shroud for something more aesthetically appealing, granted its not a true slip on, you could slip something on it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I haven't looked yet, but has anyone found a drain hole in the bottom of the giant collector can?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Pretty much what I did. Cut off the headers from the big can and fitted this exhaust. First one and so many I hope. Easy DIY thing that should not take more than about 1 from start to finish. I should be ready for production within 2 weeks and have a fuel controller ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pretty much what I did. Cut off the headers from the big can and fitted this exhaust. First one and so many I hope. Easy DIY thing that should not take more than about 1 from start to finish. I should be ready for production within 2 weeks and have a fuel controller ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

That's not a danmoto exhaust is it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts