Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to be "that guy," what with this being my first post. I've been lurking on this forum for a bit and finally registered. My question, since this forum seems more accepting that their bikes are not made of pure gold and can do no wrong, is this;

Locally there's a 2012 Triumph Triple for sale at an identical price to the FZ-09 (which the dealer also carries). I've asked about test rides, but dealers are always wary of that and I don't want to push that issue until I'm ready to put money down that minute! Ideally I'd ride both bikes back to back.
Both bikes are new, and from what I've heard they're comparable. People keep describing the Triumph as "more well rounded." The suspension would likely be better for starters, but the FZ-09 trumps it in the engine departments (displacement wise, anyway).

Anybody ridden both? Any recommendations? I'm normally a local rider, but I'd like to plan some trips to my dad's house about 3 hours away. Looks like both would be alright for that comfort wise. Thanks for any advice!!
-Jay

·
Registered
601 Posts
People keep describing the Triumph as "more well rounded." The suspension would likely be better for starters, but the FZ-09 trumps it in the engine departments
-Jay
You summed it up right there.

Triumph (standard or R) is better out of the box. FZ-09 pulls way ahead after suspension upgrades due to amazing engine.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'd buy the FZ09 based on forum, community support, and dealer support alone. Not to mention the cost of parts/accessories is about half that of a Trumpet.

I liked my S3, but that being said, I will never own another Triumph. I sold a 2011 S3 for the FZ09, and wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Aside from price, the Speed triple is more of a competitor for the fz-09 than the street triple is.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody! Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. It's not the R model, just the basic. I'm a modder by habit, so the suspension would end up being upgraded eventually anyway. Plus the FZ-09 hasn't been sitting still in a showroom for 2 or 3 years!

And that picture is one hell of a Triumph ad! But, if I read the listing correctly, she does not in fact come with the bike.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The base Street Triple isn't really worth looking at because it's plagued by the same suspension woes as the FZ09 (not quite as bad, but almost). If you're comparing the R to the FZ09, it really depends on whether or not you are looking for something you plan on riding as-is or modifying. The Street Triple R comes with relatively high end suspension, which addresses the main concern of the FZ-09 (its god awful stock suspension components). However, for less than the price difference between the two bikes, you can take the FZ09 (which has a much better engine), replace the rear shock with a Penske, add stiffer springs + oil up front, flash the ECU, and what you end up with is something that is better than the Street Triple R in every way.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The '13 STRs were notorious for countershaft leaks that would spray oil on the rear wheel. But, it wasn't a problem to the Trumpet faithful... It wasn't a Triumph problem, but a problem with a "supplier".

I like keeping my oil in my motor :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
LOL... me too. People laugh that I safety wire my oil filter on my street bike. I say what's the diff? Engine vibrates on the street as much as it does on the track...

·
Registered
60 Posts
As stated before Standard or R. Still would go with the FZ. Not a fanboy...meh yesh at this point I am. Also this forum makes owning this bike a pure pleasure as well! Not a whole bunch of stuck up, hot pocket munching douches. Really a fun place to come for a nice level headed response!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the 09 has plenty of character. the rattling cam chain tensioner, bouncy suspension, snatchy throttle, fake air scoops, lopsided instrument cluster....

the street triple was on my short list, until yamaha announced the 09. when i saw the msrp, the local yamaha dealer had my deposit the next day.

if you simply want an out-of-box bike that's refined, the 09 will fall a bit short of the street triple. the 09 is rough around the edges, but polish them and you'll see the brilliance underneath.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had an '09 and a 2011 Street Triple R's. Great bikes out of the box. Had coolant leaks on both that kept popping up, the '09 had Regulator/Rectifier issues, and on the '11 I replaced the stock (rattling) cam chain tensioner with a manual one. And yes I'm aware some FZ's have a cam chain tensioner issue as well.

That being said, with a few mods (suspension and ECU) that can be done cheaply, the FZ is the way to go in my opinion. Glad I sold both the Triumphs before the values went down. I can't imagine why anyone would pay the same price (or a couple grand more) for the Triumph, as for the FZ.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts