Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dealer today asking about my bike on order (dealer name withheld). No news, but he did say there was graphite one in back with 73 miles on it and that it was totaled out. They did not sell the bike originally but got it for the insurance adjustor to review. Seems the owner finished his motorcycle course and wanted his first bike. After looking and asking about different bikes he settled on just weighing what he got for his money (which apparently was his selection criteria) so he got the Fz-09. As the story goes he fell over at 3 miles on the odometer and scratched one side (not real details). Then at 73 miles did not negotiate a turn and hit the curb and flipped (only details I got). Anyway, shop might buy salvage and fix forks as they now make a clicking sound.

The owner clearly embarrassed did not hang around when bike was hauled in (as I was told). I got no pictures just the story from the dealer. It has been said before on this forum that the FZ-09 is not a beginners bike. This example demonstrates that to be true. We both agreed this newbee is very lucky he has all his body parts and he had more money than brains.

so my opinion is this. Never ridden but passed the courses. Get a used Rebel 250, Ninja 250 or comparable small bike (under 40HP) and after 3000 miles with no wrecks step up if motorcycling is for you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wow. If the owner is only embarrassed, he is fortunate indeed. Each rider is a bit different and I have owned an FZ-09 for just over 24 hours after riding maxi-scooters and 250cc motorcycles for five years. Perhaps I could have handled a motorcycle with the FZ-09's power with less than five years of experience, but certainly not upon completion of the basic course. You're right, and I wouldn't recommend an FZ-09 to any beginner.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
while that is a compelling story, and it's a warning to folks like me, the logical conclusion is NOT that Beginner + FZ-09 = crash. Sounds like an overconfident idiot to me. He probably didn't even know about the different modes on the bike. Not all beginners are the same.
Not entirely true, an inexperienced or under-confident rider can also get into trouble with an aggressive bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mode A is not forgiving of poor throttle / clutch work for many, not just beginners. Mode B is a state of ignorant bliss lol

I was nailing it off a light last week was somewhere mid 3rd gear when the most minute clutch ride/release lofted the front WAY UP. If that happens to a beginner and they panic, wonk the bars and snap the throttle shut (as seems to happen unless you have the rear brake covered) then there will be scratches, expensive ones.

Can't make my mind up on this, on the one hand the bike is so dam easy to ride with the confidence inspiring body position and tame throttle mode B - on the other hand press the wrong button or get too happy too fast and you are eating dirt. That said when the fireblade first came out I had no clue how to ride it, didn't stop me :)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
while that is a compelling story, and it's a warning to folks like me, the logical conclusion is NOT that Beginner + FZ-09 = crash. Sounds like an overconfident idiot to me. He probably didn't even know about the different modes on the bike. Not all beginners are the same.
I agree.... Sounds to me that the end result would have been the same, regardless of what he chose for his first motorcycle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just joined this site but had to respond to this, being that I am the owner of this bike based on what I've read. I was not embarrassed at the dealer for any reason. I was told I should leave it there for the insurance adjustor to take a look at it and because the policy was so new it has taken them a while to get around to it. I am a new rider, and yes as a new rider I am bound to make mistakes on the motorcycle. I just wanted to say that it had nothing to do with the bike being overpowering that caused me to go down on it. I drove it home from Yuba City, 45 miles away with no issues and I'm not a cocky rider or someone who will act like an idiot while riding. I had no issues with the throttle and was riding it in B mode when I went down on it at about 15 miles per hour. Coming out of a 4 way stop I shifted from first to second gear and the bike didn't initially respond when I turned the throttle. Then, when it did respond it did it in a way that was herky jerky while I was taking an easy corner and instead of grabbing the clutch like I should have I tried to keep control and went into the curb. I did make a noob mistake with it but overall riding had not been an issue and I was leaving it in B mode being the noob I am. I just wanted to say that even being a beginner, the power hasn't been an issue as I've been very careful with my right wrist but what happened was unfortunate and could have happened on any bike I would have bought. What matters now is I learned a lesson on how to react since it takes time for all the reactions to different situations to become muscle memory.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mode A is not forgiving of poor throttle / clutch work for many, not just beginners. Mode B is a state of ignorant bliss lol
Perhaps, but I haven't used anything but mode B yet. I'll use Standard and Mode A only when confident that all of my other control inputs are appropriate to the FZ-09's handling characteristics.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Guy gives a bad name to beginners. Sounds like the didn't know what the [email protected]& he was doing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I have learned that some people have no business riding motorcycles. They will never get it. They just don't have the balance, coordination, mental timing, etc.. I have an adventure touring friend that totaled a bike before my very eyes panicking in a turn, falls over in slow tight stuff, and drops his bike. He loves motorcycles, but I don't have the heart to tell him that he will never, ever get it. I just encourage him to take more courses and riding schools because he loves the sport. Luckily he rides slow.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have learned that some people have no business riding motorcycles. They will never get it. They just don't have the balance, coordination, mental timing, etc.. I have an adventure touring friend that totaled a bike before my very eyes panicking in a turn, falls over in slow tight stuff, and drops his bike. He loves motorcycles, but I don't have the heart to tell him that he will never, ever get it. I just encourage him to take more courses and riding schools because he loves the sport. Luckily he rides slow.
That was clear with the one person that dropped out of the class. At least she had the wisdom to recognize it.

I plan on utilizing a large nearby vacant lot for a lot of practice of different sorts.

...from my phone...

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Foot in mouth. I gave my wife a CBR600F2 after completing her MSF. Not a beginners bike. I gave her an accelerated speed course, had her follow me, mimick my lines, body position, braking points, look through corners, etc. Each ride I would go faster. She is an athlete, never waivered. Runs with the boys now. What took her long was slow parking lot maneuvers , etc. I tend to forget that I was thrashing minibikes when I was 10 and racing by 11, some 43 years of riding experience. My first street bikes were hyper fast 2-strokes, so I am not in a position to talk.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So how many people here think that the horsepower of a motorcycle makes absolutely no difference when you make a mistake with the inputs?
It makes a difference. a huge difference. take my WR 250. once rolling, you can whack the throttle open as hard as you want in any gear and it won't buck you off. Try that in 1st or 2nd on the FZ and you'll end up on your head.

Venom: Welcome to the forum, Sorry to hear about your accident - hope you weren't hurt. I'd rethink the grabbing the clutch in a turn thing though. I have found that typically, you'll want power engaged while you're turning instead of coasting through turns.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts