Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched the videos, read the reviews and looked for a bias comparison on the Interwebs. The questions I have go deeper that what has been previously covered. Considering that I don't have any personal experience with either Yamaha or Triumph, I hope to get some answers based on your personal experiences. I will be using my past & present motorcycle experiences as a reference point.

Comfort - how does it feel after a couple of hours on nonstop highway? I have floorboards on my Harley, this allows me to shift my foot position to give me at least 3 to 4 hours between stops. The Ducati Monster 620 on the other hand, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Feel at higher speeds - how stable does it feel at highway speeds? Some days on the Monster, I feel like I'm being tossed around like a rag doll when I am on the highway doing 75 - 80 mph (120 - 130 kph).

Maintenance cost - time between service intervals, parts & labor cost? I do a lot of my own work but this is more for a baseline between the two models.

End of life support - how long is the support (parts availability from both factory & aftermarket) once a model has been discontinued? This will have to be based on older models of course.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I owned a Street Triple for over a year and now own a 09.

Comfort - how does it feel after a couple of hours on nonstop highway? I have floorboards on my Harley, this allows me to shift my foot position to give me at least 3 to 4 hours between stops. The Ducati Monster 620 on the other hand, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. In my opinion the Street Triple is more comfortable.

Feel at higher speeds - how stable does it feel at highway speeds? I have had no issues with stability on the highway with either bike. Some days on the Monster, I feel like I'm being tossed around like a rag doll when I am on the highway doing 75 - 80 mph (120 - 130 kph).

Maintenance cost - time between service intervals, parts & labor cost? I do my own service. After market parts for both bikes are about the same. I do a lot of my own work but this is more for a baseline between the two models.

End of life support - how long is the support (parts availability from both factory & aftermarket) once a model has been discontinued? No clue here, since both bikes are being manufactured at present. This will have to be based on older models of course.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the S3R. It is one of the nicest bikes ever IMO. You will want to ride both of them. I will tell you though that the FZ-09 will probably be your favorite in the test ride, but probably not in an objective way. The FZ-09 runs like a m-fer! So, u will initially realize the power of the FZ-09 and be like hell yeah! BUT, the stock S3R in real world riding is , a better bike. If you see some of the threads in this forum, ppl(me included) are spending upwards of several $K to improve the FZ-09 b/c there are things that flat out stink on it. After that, the FZ-09 is a freaking bad mf-er.

comfort - I test rode the s3r and I think it is probably more comfortable. even so, a couple hours on highway may get ya..ha ha.
higher speed feel - S3R has a bug screen. only went up to 70 on s3r, but other than the bug screen, the two bikes are probably similar
maintenance costs - jap bikes are cheaper, in general, to maintain - FZ-09
end of life support - I would say the FZ-09 probably wins this

I love the FZ-09, but if u can get a good deal on a s3r..I would take it =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jmcghee41 - why did you decided to go from the S3 to the FZ-09? More power, different riding style, felt like a change?

I found a dealer out by me that has both bikes available for test rides.

Spoke with the service guy at the dealer and said that service for both bikes cost the same.
Price for the S3R w/ ABS is 1000- more than the FZ-09 w/ ABS. S3 (non-R / non-ABS) same price as the FZ-09. Same price everywhere unlike the USA where there is room to negotiate :(

It seems like all the pros & cons for each bike cancels out the cons & pros for the other bike. I will have to let my body make the final decision...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Just keep in mind...these are not quite the same bike...to the tune of about 175cc's
FZ-09 is a faster, badder, gruntier bike. Will you need all that grunt?....thats up to you, but FZ-09 has more grunt for the buck, hands down.

As for Yamaha, I've always had Yammi's, love the way they ride...true blue all the way

·
Registered
176 Posts
S3R as its easier to ride faster.

FZ09 after at least the snitchy throttle is corrected and cheap capable aftermarket shocks.

big power on too soft suspension is asking for trouble from my own experience...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I was able to ride both bikes back to back more than once. Cold, wet, rain on & off most of the day so I couldn't really get on with either of the bike but slowly rolling on the throttle when I could - AMAZING!!

The price difference was minimal enough for me not to let it be a deciding factor. I did not let the whole bigger motor vs. better suspension argument (for the lack of a better word) did not apply to my test rides. In fact, I was so cold & wet by the time I arrived there, my mind was more pre-occupied on getting some coffee in my system.

Looks - both bikes were next to each other outside in the parking lot. I someone said: I will give the one that you think is the best looking only if you give me your answer in the next 3 seconds without thinking about it - the only words out of my mouth would be I can't decide.
Sound - at one point, the moment that one was shut off, the other was started. Almost like it was planned but it wasn't. Even though they both sound different, they both sounded great.
First Rides - both were day and night to the Ducati Monster 620 in terms of comfort and throttle response. When I finished both test rides, the only thing I was sure of is I needed another test ride.
Ultimately, my decision wasn't based off of any reviews or manufactures' specs...

Oddly enough, it was how my legs felt against the tank.

The FZ/MT-09 felt very narrow compared to the S3R. It was almost like I had to concentrate just to keep pressing my legs against the tank at all times. I am sure that if someone took a measurement, the difference would be less than 2 inches but for me, it felt like 2 miles.

If it wasn't for that, I would have had to flip a coin to decide :eek:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I love the look of the Street Triple R, but I just don't trust Triumph build quality, reliability and long-term parts availability. If I felt they were the equal of the FZ-09, and I could get an STR for around $9000 I would go for the Triumph. But instead I am waiting for FZ-09s to show up next spring...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've owned two Street Trip R's, and much prefer my FZ. I am able to move around far more on the FZ's flatter seat, than the "locked into" one position of the S.T. I think the leg room (seat to peg), is greater on the FZ as well. It's easier for me to do a couple hours in the saddle on the FZ, than it was on the Triumphs.

Stability, as far as I can tell is the same.

Huge difference in maintenance ( I do my own). Triumph requires a valve check/adjust every 12,000 mi. Yamaha every 24,500 mi. Triumph also had regulator/rectifier problems on the S.T., my '09 had problems. Also timing chain adjusters were a known problem. I replaced the factory automatic adjuster on my '11 S.T. with a manual adjuster at around 1,200mi. because the chain would rap the case for a bit on cold start. And they both had weeping from a few of the radiator hoses, a few different times, each. For some reason the clamps would loosen up over less than a couple thousand miles, and need tightening. I always knew to look for a little coolant on the floor under the engine, the next morning after a ride. Neither of mine used oil, but it was a problem for some.

The Street Trip is a fantastic bike, that's why it always won the magazine "shoot-outs". But I much prefer my FZ, and after a few mods, it will be as good or better than the S.T in every way.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I can't speak to the Triumph triple, or magazine tests that can possibly be biased.

I do know there is some pretty stiff competition within my own garage.

I have a rather large collection , though I haven't bought a Jap bike since 2004,

or have been this jazzed about one ( The FZ 09 ) since 1999 when I got a Hayabusa, which I drag raced.

The FZ 09 is about the most bang for the buck I have seen , and has a lot of potential .

The real world test, of sorts , is the degree of difficulty the camera bike had in keeping up with different

bikes I have run on Palomar. It pretty much would leave the Ducati 1100 Hypermoto recent camera bike, for dead.

The following may just seem like bragging, but is posted to show the worthy company the

FZ 09 has in the garage............

2007 Duc 1098 s Tri Colore, 2008 Bimota Tesi 3 D, 2008 BMW HP 2, 2010 BMW S 1000 RR, 2010 Aprilia RSV 4 Factory,

2010 Duc 1198 R Corse, 2010 Duc 1100 S Streetfighter ( for sale ) 2012 Aprilia Tuono RSV 4 Factory, 2012 Duc Panigale 1199 S Tri Colore, and

just for good measure, a 1977 Yamaha TZ 750 :cool:

Given the chance, buy the FZ 09, which may be an even bigger cult classic since the SV 650.

Most of which have been on You Tube along with the FZ 09.

·
Registered
730 Posts
End of life support - how long is the support (parts availability from both factory & aftermarket) once a model has been discontinued? This will have to be based on older models of course.
I am still able to get many OEM parts for my 90 FJ1200....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Given the chance, buy the FZ 09, which may be an even bigger cult classic since the SV 650.
As a owner of a 1st gen SV650. I can see this happening.
The truth will be told once more guys do up the legs, clip-ons, and pads to hit the track. If its capable it can be runner up league to the SV650 unless they make a racing class it can dominate.

·
Registered
207 Posts
More grunt and soooo much quicker. I was hooked the minute I pulled out of the dealers lot. My dealer knew I was interested in the 09 so when the Yamaha rep showed up on the dealers lot back in September with a 09 in tow he called me and two other guys to come down and take a look. I wasn't expecting to get to ride the bike but when I showed up on the Triple the rep actually suggested I ride the 09. So you know the saying, "Don't threaten me with a good time". So away I went on the 09. Needless to say I rolled back into the lot with a big smile on my face and placed my order for the 09.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts