Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Why would you post that it's FZ09 "killer"? Two different bikes for two different purposes....plain and simple.

Reactions: VERSYS8 and marthy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you post that it's FZ09 "killer"? Two different bikes for two different purposes....plain and simple.
yeah the title is very opinionated, but I guess lots of people having FZ-09 can agree that the bike lacks fairing and fuel tank capacity. We can see that there are lots of wind screens on ebay for FZ09, at least thats what i am missing in my bike...

·
Registered
883 Posts
...the report of the FZ-09's death was an exaggeration...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think the FJ-09 would hurt fz-09 sales. Not sure about killing em tho.

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wish I had the fj-09 on my roadtrip this past summer, but other than that fz-09 all the way. Plus the fj is certainly going to be heavier and with all that extra weight I hope they did something different with the forks and shock! It does look really nice though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I like that the tank is larger, but not that it's because it is taller. I like that the fairing is frame mounted, but not really liking the styling - and it and the larger subframe all add more weight above the center of gravity. If you like the stock suspension then you probably won't notice the steering being heavier and slower - but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks to me to be very similiar to what Suzuki used to do with the Bandit vs. Bandit S. One was naked, one had a half-fairing. Both sold really well.

I have to be blunt-honest. I think the FJ-09 looks like ass. I've NEVER been a fan of hand wind-deflectors, the screen looks goofy sitting up so high, I hate the side rails for the passenger seat (even if they are racks for luggage, maybe??), and the list goes on and on... If I wanted a sport-tourer, I would have bought one. This won't be a true sport-tourer, nor does it have the clearance to be an endo. It really looks, to me, to be a FZ-09 with a lot of factory accessory parts I'd likely just take off or replace if I bought one.

BUT THAT'S OK!!! It's great that Yamaha has come out with this bike, for those that want this style and would like to have all the "extras" rolled into their purchase. The extra fuel capacity will be a benefit for longer rides, too (though I would debate this, to be honest... I've had sport-tourers before, have done cross-country rides, and anything more than about a 180 mile range is too much; need to stop every 2 hours or so on longer trips to beat fatigue).

Different bikes for different folks. This will pull sales more from the enduro/sport tourers than it will the Nekkid FZ-09. It's a completely different type of riding style, in my experience, and there's room for both.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Really??? If I wanted a bike with a big gas tank and a fairing I'd have already bought one instead of the FZ. To each their own but to declare the porkier version an FZ killer seems a bit premature to me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with triple this bike will only increase sales of the 09 platform, and it will sell very well IMO alot of riders are dying for light weight low cost easy to own quality built motorcycles. With the average touring bike at 16 to 25 grand and all the extra stuff that you realy don't need to have a great time riding I think the 09 platform in naked , touring, and adventure will be a huge hit for yamaha. RR :cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't think it'll cut into FZ-09 sales, but rather FZ1 sales. That being said, I'm not 100% sure whether or not everyone who wants the FZ1 would want the FJ-09. That R1 sourced 4 cylinder may not be as chunky down low, but it has an appeal for people who like revving it high that the FJ-09 may not necessarily be able to match.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
This will pull sales from the other, costlier, heavier sport touring bikes.

I don't see it affecting purchases from people who really wanted the FZ to begin with.

Yamaha will sell plenty.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
agree - 2 separate bikes for 2 different purposes. Not sure the FJ1300 crowd will switch to this but someone looking for any type of touring capabilities probably doesn't even have the FZ09 on their radar.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why design a bike without adventure capabilities like an adventure bike? I don't understand.

I was hoping they would but the FZ9 engine in a sport-touring design like the Honda VFR. That would be perfect.

The FJ will have some nice features like center stand, larger tank, windscreen, and maybe ABS. Two-up and longer range capabilities improved. The trade-off is that it will be around 40lbs heavier and 2-3K more expensive.

That would still make it much lighter and less expensive than the Italian and German bikes in its class.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts