Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Okay I'm joking but hear me out.

I like my FZ-09, but it just doesn't really give any acceleration thrill anymore. I can redline all gears without blinking an eye. The culprit? The linear torque is too good! You just get so used to that predictable torque/power. I almost think I should have purchased a slower bike. Living in the greater Toronto area, there are very few great/curvy roads in the area. I keep thinking I should have purchased a supermoto or adventure. I always seem to get this way with bikes, I always want the other grass ;)

I hop on the bike... traffic, traffic and more traffic. I go outside the city and I pass two radar traps in the middle of nowhere. Going out even farther I start hitting dirt and gravel roads, which I wouldn't recommend on the FZ09.

Does anybody else constantly battle with this? I love motorcycling but I never seem to be satisfied with MY bike. I Keep eyeing the DRZ400 and KTM690.

Brain works like this:

Dirt Roads -> OMG I should have purchased a DRZ400SM/KTM690
Long high stretches -> Sweet Jesus why didn't I buy a touring bike
Around Town -> Oh man this is great. Nevermind this traffic is killing me

I miss the days when I first started riding. I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed on a few fronts. Lackluster suspension, poor seat (I went the Seat Concepts route and made no noticeable difference), annoying throttle and I certainly miss the scream of the GSXR.

Patiently waiting for the Sargent seat... I think my girlfriend will strangle me if I do any more upgrades besides the seat lol

Summer Purchases:
FZ-09
Shoei QWEST helmet
Rev'IT Tornado jacket
Rev'IT Dirt2 gloves
Sena SMH10
Ermax 33CM Windscreen
Oxford Premium Heated Grips
Seat Concepts
Ogio Saddlebags

Unfortunately a secondary bike is not an option.

Ah well, RANT over :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the thrttle cable? Takes barely a minute and makes an absolute world of difference. I feel ya though, I live and work in downtown Little Rock so getting out to decent roads is a pain with miles of traffic to deal with. If I can get back to San Diego the '09 will be perfect for the area I used to live (north county). I would prefer a supermoto for the city and the FZ for backroads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand what you mean. I'm 2k miles in and nothing but first and second gear are amusing now. First gear in the sense of popping the front wheel up and second gear considering the nice acceleration to redline.

I used to ride at the pace but now I find myself braking when entering corners to find some adrenaline. It's too bad there are so few twisties in the area you live. To help you out, I'll record one of my rides and you can watch it with the volume turned up, LOL.

You really need to get another bike. Right now I'm thinking of a dual sport, so I can rip up trails near my area or getting another sport bike... I sorta miss the aggressive seating position. Just take a step back, don't ride for a few days then get back. I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lemme get this right. You have a brand new bike that has received countless praise from the media, has won bike of the year from a few sources, and most riders would love to have. But you're not happy with it. Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Lemme get this right. You have a brand new bike that has received countless praise from the media, has won bike of the year from a few sources, and most riders would love to have. But you're not happy with it. Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled.
Obviously he didn't get the "Rapid Red." I know he wouldn't be frustrated if he had....

Reactions: DreamFZ

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think we got two different bikes. I agree that the linear torque curve makes the bike predictable, but HARDLY boring. I find first gear useless to "play in" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th though. This thing is a blast. I do NOT like riding the highways on this bike, but I don't like riding the highways on any bike. Back country roads or anywhere the cops aren't looking, I can't help but ride like an a-hole. I find this bike to be perfect for short comuting, I would not want a 45min one way commute.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I am spoiled. The praise of the media, bike of the year, yada yada does not concern me. I am simply discussing the grass is greener on the other side conundrum.

"Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled." Extremely douche comment. Seems like you skimmed over my post, deduced some bike complaints and went on the defensive.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Drop the front sprocket 1 tooth u dont need the top end , just more hang on to ure arse acceleration

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
No reason to get nasty, just because the handful of posts weren't up to your expectations. Perhaps the bike itself isn't able to meet you specific expectations, but there's No justification for lashing out here.

No one here can manically change your FZ into another bike more to your liking. If you don't like it simply advertise it and move on -- life it too short to hang on and continue to be frustrated. It's just a bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No reason to get nasty, just because the handful of posts weren't up to your expectations. Perhaps the bike itself isn't able to meet you specific expectations, but there's No justification for lashing out here.

No one here can manically change your FZ into another bike more to your liking. If you don't like it simply advertise it and move on -- life it too short to hang on and continue to be frustrated. It's just a bike.
Who's getting nasty? I never said the posts were not up to my expectations. Where am I lashing out? Some of the comments have actually been quite helpful.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ive seen this alot talk about getting another bike to fit their needs, but have no intentions on doing it. Im never totally happy but at least i do have two wheels to hop on and thats better than not having one.

FZ 09 is a very good bike for the money and dont believe you can find a better bike for at its price range.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Brain works like this:

Dirt Roads -> OMG I should have purchased a DRZ400SM/KTM690
Long high stretches -> Sweet Jesus why didn't I buy a touring bike
Around Town -> Oh man this is great. Nevermind this traffic is killing me
You need more bikes.....and maybe an ATV or 2

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Maybe I am spoiled. The praise of the media, bike of the year, yada yada does not concern me. I am simply discussing the grass is greener on the other side conundrum.

"Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled." Extremely douche comment. Seems like you skimmed over my post, deduced some bike complaints and went on the defensive.
This is nasty -- Not acceptable on This Forum.

Signed,

Mod in training:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Uberwrench: Perfectly OKAY
"Lemme get this right. You have a brand new bike that has received countless praise from the media, has won bike of the year from a few sources, and most riders would love to have. But you're not happy with it. Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled."

Chasem: NASTY According to Steve101
"Shall I call you a Wahmbulance? Man are you spoiled." Extremely douche comment. Seems like you skimmed over my post, deduced some bike complaints and went on the defensive."

........ *rolls eyes*

He contributed absolutely nothing to the post, asked if I wanted the Wahmbulance and called me spoiled. I said that was a douche comment. Reading comprehension goes a long way.

This is nasty -- Not acceptable on This Forum.

Signed,

Mod in training:cool:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's all good guys. Different strokes for different folks.

I still believe Yamaha has more plans for the 09 and 07 platforms. Probably a sport/tourer 09 and an adventure 07.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts