Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Been keeping up to date with site for a little while now getting excited about the FZ. Just wanted to post up that I picked up my bike today and was able to go for a short (15 mile ride) in the pouring rain. Bike felt great. Ergonomics felt good (6') and tons of power. REALLY strong feeling motor that pulls well no matter where in the rpm range you are. Throttle is "touchy" in my opinion, but no more than my previous R6, and a non-issue for me, and in B mode it handled wet roads and heavy traffic great. Does feel softly sprung for my 190lbs, but stayed stable hitting bumps through corners. Was able to wheelie easily in standard mode by rolling on the throttle in 3rd, so no shortage of power or torque.

For some background on riding I have been riding for 15 years on a wide range of bikes from an SV650, R6, GSXR-750, XS850 Cafe racer, KTM SX450 supermoto, and Duke 690, and to me after my first impression, it feels like the Duke with a GSXR-750 motor stuffed inside!

Super fun and I cant wait for the rain to stop so I can give it a proper test!

photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats Jedgar!! Welcome to the site. Thanks for the ride review. Really like what I’m hearing! Keep us posted. God Speed & Ride Safe.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Congrats brother! Let us know what you think of the bike! I think that is the first red one out there! Lucky man!

W

·
0 Posts
For some background on riding I have been riding for 15 years on a wide range of bikes from an SV650, R6, GSXR-750, XS850 Cafe racer, KTM SX450 supermoto, and Duke 690, and to me after my first impression, it feels like the Duke with a GSXR-750 motor stuffed inside!

Super fun and I cant wait for the rain to stop so I can give it a proper test!

View attachment 359
Sounds like you got exactly the right bike for your needs! The wheelie part of it sounds about right, too. Think that's what Yamaha might have been going for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
jedgar
I have a quick question about the riding mode options. Do you have to reset or toggle through the A, B, Std modes after each ride and upon the next start-up? Or does the controller "remember" the last setting, and make it unnecessary to repeatedly choose your preferred mode setting with each new ride; lets say "B" mode. Thanks.

I know the rain you're talking about, I am in Bellingham, Wa., and we have been soaked all day. :-}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jedgar
I have a quick question about the riding mode options. Do you have to reset or toggle through the A, B, Std modes after each ride and upon the next start-up? Or does the controller "remember" the last setting, and make it unnecessary to repeatedly choose your preferred mode setting with each new ride; lets say "B" mode. Thanks.

I know the rain you're talking about, I am in Bellingham, Wa., and we have been soaked all day. :-}
It jumps back to standard mode as soon as the engine is turned off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jedgar: Upon your initil ride and first experience with the "B" mode, did you experience any "jerkiness" at slow speeds? I'm of the mindset that you did not---based on your comment about how well the bike handlede in the rain while in the B mode. But I just wanted ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jedgar: Upon your initil ride and first experience with the "B" mode, did you experience any "jerkiness" at slow speeds? I'm of the mindset that you did not---based on your comment about how well the bike handlede in the rain while in the B mode. But I just wanted ask. Thanks!
B Mode was definitely was smoother but the "jerkiness" didn't bother me in any mode. That being said 15 miles in the rain/traffic on a bike I have never ridden is not a great test. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
B Mode was definitely was smoother but the "jerkiness" didn't bother me in any mode. That being said 15 miles in the rain/traffic on a bike I have never ridden is not a great test. :)
Thanks Jedgar! Very much appreciate it. Just to clear my conscience before considering a power commander when one becomes available (should I even need one at all after my initial ride)....Are you saying that there was "no" jerkiness in the B Mode per your initial observation? Thanks again, and stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jedgar! Very much appreciate it. Just to clear my conscience before considering a power commander when one becomes available (should I even need one at all after my initial ride)....Are you saying that there was "no" jerkiness in the B Mode per your initial observation? Thanks again, and stay safe.
There was no jerkiness in B-Mode. Been pouring here for three days so I have not been able to ride again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts