Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a liquid graphite model yesterday afternoon from DHY Motorsports in Deptford, NJ. Becky, Bill and Brian were great and gave me a great trade-in on my 09 ER-6N. That was one of the best bike buying experiences ever and I've owned 9 other bikes in the last 22 years of year-round riding (my bike is my car). They tell me they're getting several more FZ-09s in next week and say rapid red and orange are on order. If you live in the NJ, PA, DE area and are having trouble finding one, DHY is the place.

As for the bike, I couldn't be happier. It's really fast and the acceleration is addictive. This in no way a beginner's bike, regardless of your personal level of maturity. If you are considering this bike as a first bike due to the low price, don't do it because you're going to get hurt. The mirrors are easy to use at any speed and the upright riding position is really comfortable.I took my wife on a short ride and she probably won't be doing that again. The passenger seat and pegs are far too high for comfortable riding. The rider's seat is a bit hard and makes you slide forward, but not into the gas tank. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. The only modification I'd consider is a lowering link to get both feet flat on the ground. Please post links for lowering links when they're available. The bike has no throttle issues whatsoever in all modes. Power delivery and the gearbox are seamless. I'll post again with more comments after racking up a few hundred miles.

Here's my pic. FZ-09.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess you were the guy that had a deposit on it? I called the other day they said the got one graphite in but it was sold already.

Can I ask what you paid, freight, setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wastegate- the bike sold for 7,990 and the total was 9,300 and some change. That includes setup, 8 percent and shipping. The plus is that they gave me a few hundred over KBB value which we all know is incredibly objective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I am the only guy that had a deposit as of June 21st. My bike was the first invoiced as of last Monday and the only one received thus far. Sorry, meant to include that in the previous post.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Just curious Pete, how tall are you? Only ask because you say you can't get both feet on the ground, and I'm curious how it fits everyone. I bet you'll be all right without lowering it, it's so lightweight and you only need one foot down anyway :) I would have thought the ER6N was taller than the FZ, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just curious Pete, how tall are you? Only ask because you say you can't get both feet on the ground, and I'm curious how it fits everyone. I bet you'll be all right without lowering it, it's so lightweight and you only need one foot down anyway :) I would have thought the ER6N was taller than the FZ, or am I wrong?
Not Pete, but I am 5'9", but have a short inseam. I can't get both feet on the ground. My wife is 5'7" with long legs:)encouragement:) and can get both feet on the ground.

·
Registered
555 Posts
inseam tells the story. wear 29 length jeans. can only put balls of feet on floor in dealership. looks like I could lowere the preload front and back so my fat ass lowers the bike more so my feet touch better. If the front of the seat was not narrow and the bike narrow, it would be even worse. I am checking into lowering links because I am getting this bike even if I have to go find a cobbler to put platform soles on my boots.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You are in luck!

These are less than $50 at a halloween supply store.

Shifting might be tough though :p

·
Registered
555 Posts
You are in luck!

These are less than $50 at a halloween supply store.

Shifting might be tough though :p

they will work, just auger a large hole on the side of the left sole for the shifter to fit into... good to go. just move foot sideways to set on ground...lol nice find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, so it's not easy getting both feet on the ground at once. I've never ridden a bike that I wasn't able to flat foot and fear that the one good foot with a contact patch might slip in the rain. The ER-6N has a 30" seat height. You may be thinking of the much taller Versys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts