Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my new FZ09 home from dealer today, about 22 miles.
What a rush!! This thing is awesome! Way more than the SV650 I have upgraded.
Excellent riding position with more room and comfort than SV and way more power. I love the SV650, but this is another level for sure.;)
IMG_1452-3.jpg [ATTACH

·
Registered
881 Posts
Congratulations on your new FZ-09. Not that anyone's biased around here, but what a great choice! Looking forward to your ride reviews. Your profile shows you're from the Hudson Valley; I have become a regular visitor to the area, just not yet with a motorcycle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eolith, its on there, thanks.
So first day I finished with 61 miles. Weather getting kinda rough. about 43 to 45 degrees today and we actually had snow and rain showers. Anyway love the bike. very comfortable seat height. I am 5'8" and 205. Bike is very comfortable with room in cockpit. Definitely feels like riding dirt bike or super motard. SV650 is more compressed feeling leaned forward even though I have the naked version. The FZ has way more power. I have read that some people think throttle is "kinda jerky" well the fuel injected SV650 is very similar. I don't have an issue with it. You get used to it. Have to be smooth with clutch, throttle, shifting combination. I have had only 3 bikes with fuel injection, 2 sv650's and now the FZ-09 and so far they are the same as far as how the throttle works. But FZ is very powerful and torquey compared to the SV650 so throttle is sensitive. Just be careful. I also wear glasses for reading and computers (not driving) and thought the instrumentation would be hard to read while driving. Not so. I can read the whole dash just fine(even though it is small and off to the right). I love the FZ-09. It is going to take a while to fully break in. Tires are slick (Dunlop Sportmax) need to scuff them up. I have Conti Road Attack 2's on my SV and they have traction right away when they are new. Anyway, if you have experience with powerful bikes like 1000 cc 4 cylinders the FZ-09 will not be a problem if you use common sense. If you have never had anything bigger than a 650, be careful. This bike has a lot of torque and HP and is very light as all the reviews tell you. I particularly like the rear tire size, 180/55. My brother has a ZRX 1100 Kawi and it has the same size rear tire. Once the weather gets better and the tires are scuffed in I think I can really ride this bike as aggressive as I do on the SV650 but I have to get used to the power of the FZ. Example: SV650 6th gear 5k RPM is about 66 or 67 MPH. FZ-09 5th gear 5k RPM is 70 or 71 MPH! I am not going above 6k RPM until 600 miles and I change oil and filter. The FZ-09 is fast and only slightly bigger in physical size than the SV650. A huge difference for me.
ok, I have rambled on enough for now. Cant wait for spring ...:)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
welcome and grats! Would you please put your info on our VIN thread? (see my sig for a link)
Eolith, I updated my vin a few days ago, but it's still not on the front page...feeling left out :(

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have 110 miles on FZ now. Hit reserve on gas. The gauge is cool, it starts flashing and a new trip meter starts automatically counting miles since you hit reserve. The bad is I only went 108.8 on 3.055 gallons and I am on reserve. Thats 35.6 mpg's. So right now my FZ would only go about 130 miles max on a tank of gas. Hope it gets better after it breaks in. I got 48 to 49 on my SV and it has a 4.5 gallon tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts