Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rode eighty miles on my FZ09 first fast ride in the curves.
Engine performances is perfect, smooth controllable power delivery (thanks Nick, Stoltec Moto)
Bike is over eight pounds lighter than stock with battery change, zx10 shock, removed fender extender, buddy pegs and a few other things (waiting for AKRO exhaust)
Riding straight up on the rode the bike's suspension is ok with my zx10 shock and mod fork settings and proper sag settings
I've been riding R1 Yamahas, I was surprise that the FZ09 is almost scary on 40 to 80 mph twisty roads compared to the R1, the turn in feel is unsettling not sure if the front wheel is going to stick or slide.
I like the bike, I know I did not buy an R1, the torque of the engine and no vibration from the engine and lightweight of the FZ09 is great, so now it's up to me to make the bike work for my 150lbs and riding style, the challenge to get the handling working better should be fun

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds like you've got most of it sorted... what tires are you running?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just rode eighty miles on my FZ09 first fast ride in the curves.
Engine performances is perfect, smooth controllable power delivery (thanks Nick, Stoltec Moto)
Bike is over eight pounds lighter than stock with battery change, zx10 shock, removed fender extender, buddy pegs and a few other things (waiting for AKRO exhaust)
Riding straight up on the rode the bike's suspension is ok with my zx10 shock and mod fork settings and proper sag settings
I've been riding R1 Yamahas, I was surprise that the FZ09 is almost scary on 40 to 80 mph twisty roads compared to the R1, the turn in feel is unsettling not sure if the front wheel is going to stick or slide.
I like the bike, I know I did not buy an R1, the torque of the engine and no vibration from the engine and lightweight of the FZ09 is great, so now it's up to me to make the bike work for my 150lbs and riding style, the challenge to get the handling working better should be fun
Try sliding the fork tubes up, a little at a time, I went in 1/16" increments, until I settled at 3/8".
That is how I got the frontend planted, the way that I like it.
My guess is, that many others will eventually be doing this, sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Been playing with the front ride height too. 8-10mm lowered seems to be the sweet spot to me too. I reset ut back to 0mm with the ZX-10 & 9.7kg/mm spring but most than likely will lower it back dowm again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Been playing with the front ride height too. 8-10mm lowered seems to be the sweet spot to me too. I reset ut back to 0mm with the ZX-10 & 9.7kg/mm spring but most than likely will lower it back dowm again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I was waiting to see, how long it would take others to do this.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Rayminator wrote:
Try sliding the fork tubes up, a little at a time, I went in 1/16" increments, until I settled at 3/8".

Personally, before I raise the forks in the triple clamp to help bias the front end a little more, I'll deal with the front forks and the lack of adjustability by doing some re-valving or the cartridge setup from Stol-Tec Moto. The bike already turns in incredibly fast and raising the forks will make it turn in even faster and most likely more twitchy, not to mention some lost of lean angle. That option just isn't for me, but do whatever you want to make it work for you! I also changed out the factory Bridgestone S-20s as soon as I got the bike and put a set of the Q3's on it. The track day that I did at Road Atlanta showed me that the tires were a very good choice for this bike....and that was even before I got the Penske double-clicker on the rear and got the front springs and fork oil changed out.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rayminator wrote:

Personally, before I raise the forks in the triple clamp to help bias the front end a little more, I'll deal with the front forks and the lack of adjustability by doing some re-valving or the cartridge setup from Stol-Tec Moto. The bike already turns in incredibly fast and raising the forks will make it turn in even faster and most likely more twitchy, not to mention some lost of lean angle. That option just isn't for me, but do whatever you want to make it work for you! I also changed out the factory Bridgestone S-20s as soon as I got the bike and put a set of the Q3's on it. The track day that I did at Road Atlanta showed me that the tires were a very good choice for this bike....and that was even before I got the Penske double-clicker on the rear and got the front springs and fork oil changed out.
Fair enough, you did a track day with adjusting the stock suspension, and the Q3's. Great tire choice.

Let's say, that you switched bikes at the track day with one of your fellow Instructors............but he is heavier than you by 35#.
That additional weight might lower the bike by the 10mm / 3/8", that I am proposing. Do you really think that it will be a factor in
ground clearance / lean angle? We are not talking about the additional weight causing the bike to nose dive under braking, corning clearance only for purpose of conversation.

I have watched many of the early you tube videos, of road tests on the FZ 09 / MT 09. some of these editors are riding pretty hot, on the street.
This is with stock suspension, adjusted most likely, to full preload.

Frankly, most forum members, probably don't ride as hard, or as well, as most magazine testers. Amazing what can be done with the stock suspension. I am well aware that the springs are on the soft side, and that dampening could be better. It just cracks me up that, that many, with not much riding history, have to do all these changes.

I am not in the least, against modifying bikes. I have been doing it for 40+ years.

Carry on, and enjoy riding, and modifying these bikes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was the first on the forum to record pulling the forks up in the triples (10mm), and would have kept it that way if I didn't change the height in the rear. But the O.P. of this thread says he has the ZX10 shock mod, as do I, and that raises the rear of the bike. My FZ is currently around 15mm I believe, higher in the rear, so I dropped my forks back to stock. The O.P. will have a similar rear ride height increase.

Here is my "first week review"

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/420-fz-09-first-week-review-comparo.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
I weigh 260 and look forward to bitching like an old man as soon as things warm up.
I am right there with you knobby. A healthy or hefty 250lbs. After two oil changes and 800 miles I can say that I enjoy the power of the FZ09 and I am looking for suggestions; what is the best way for me to adjust the settings of my suspension? I have caught on that I am on the heavy side of riders around here, and even lighter riders complain about the factory suspension. What are my options for adjusting the stock parts for a better ride?

as far as riding style: I am a new rider, I commute through city/town; with 10 to 20 mile freeway blasts daily but also mix it up with fun/adv/sport rides on the weekends. Anyway, I think I know what others were talking about when they say the turn in feel is strange... mostly because I'm on my first sportbike. Hoping I can smooth this out as to help gain confidence in corners.

Any advice is appreciated and will be considered for sure! Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Fair enough, you did a track day with adjusting the stock suspension, and the Q3's. Great tire choice.

Let's say, that you switched bikes at the track day with one of your fellow Instructors............but he is heavier than you by 35#.
That additional weight might lower the bike by the 10mm / 3/8", that I am proposing. Do you really think that it will be a factor in
ground clearance / lean angle? We are not talking about the additional weight causing the bike to nose dive under braking, corning clearance only for purpose of conversation.

I have watched many of the early you tube videos, of road tests on the FZ 09 / MT 09. some of these editors are riding pretty hot, on the street.
This is with stock suspension, adjusted most likely, to full preload.

Frankly, most forum members, probably don't ride as hard, or as well, as most magazine testers. Amazing what can be done with the stock suspension. I am well aware that the springs are on the soft side, and that dampening could be better. It just cracks me up that, that many, with not much riding history, have to do all these changes.

I am not in the least, against modifying bikes. I have been doing it for 40+ years.

Carry on, and enjoy riding, and modifying these bikes.
I'm approx. 220 with riding gear......leather suit, helmet, gloves, back protector, boots. I did do the track day with stock suspension, adjusted for approx. 28mm of loaded rear sag and about 35mm of loaded front sag. The stock suspension basically has no damping to speak of and coming into a corner and braking to set up entry speed causes the front end to dive beyond belief. Of course, that was expected and I dealt with it for sure, but every corner that I encountered, I had to reduce my lean angle because of the peg feelers scraping hard. Since it isn't my track bike, I just wanted to try it out on the track and check out the Q3's (first set of them I've ever owned). If I were going to keep tracking the bike, the peg feelers would come off for sure. Body position off the bike of course will help with decreased lean angle (to keep from touching down on the peg feelers), but the bottom line is that before I change the geometry of the bike with adjusting fork height/rear ride height, my feeling is that I will improve the suspension (already got a Penske on the rear) and better forks up front to be able to get the sag that I want and then let the compression damping take care of eliminating the front end dive with the the proper adjustability and valving.

I think that in your scenario above, adding another 35 lbs or so to the bike would probably not be able to get the sag numbers that I want for it.......29-30mm in the rear and 34-35mm in the front.

Here is a stroll through Deals Gap, at a much "slower" pace than on the track......

This picture was taken right after the right peg feeler had touched down and I slightly adjusted my line a bit with a very slight amount of additional throttle.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was the first on the forum to record pulling the forks up in the triples (10mm), and would have kept it that way if I didn't change the height in the rear. But the O.P. of this thread says he has the ZX10 shock mod, as do I, and that raises the rear of the bike. My FZ is currently around 15mm I believe, higher in the rear, so I dropped my forks back to stock. The O.P. will have a similar rear ride height increase.

Here is my "first week review"

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/420-fz-09-first-week-review-comparo.html
That is a great review.
Basically you came to the same conclusion, with the rear ride height, vs. the front.
The bike seems to like that front to rear, ride height change, using the stock suspension, or modified Shock / fork combination is used.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm approx. 220 with riding gear......leather suit, helmet, gloves, back protector, boots. I did do the track day with stock suspension, adjusted for approx. 28mm of loaded rear sag and about 35mm of loaded front sag. The stock suspension basically has no damping to speak of and coming into a corner and braking to set up entry speed causes the front end to dive beyond belief. Of course, that was expected and I dealt with it for sure, but every corner that I encountered, I had to reduce my lean angle because of the peg feelers scraping hard. Since it isn't my track bike, I just wanted to try it out on the track and check out the Q3's (first set of them I've ever owned). If I were going to keep tracking the bike, the peg feelers would come off for sure. Body position off the bike of course will help with decreased lean angle (to keep from touching down on the peg feelers), but the bottom line is that before I change the geometry of the bike with adjusting fork height/rear ride height, my feeling is that I will improve the suspension (already got a Penske on the rear) and better forks up front to be able to get the sag that I want and then let the compression damping take care of eliminating the front end dive with the the proper adjustability and valving.

I think that in your scenario above, adding another 35 lbs or so to the bike would probably not be able to get the sag numbers that I want for it.......29-30mm in the rear and 34-35mm in the front.

Here is a stroll through Deals Gap, at a much "slower" pace than on the track......

This picture was taken right after the right peg feeler had touched down and I slightly adjusted my line a bit with a very slight amount of additional throttle.
With Deals Gap in your back yard, you are more dialed in to it, more than most, that's for sure. I have only ridden it a half dozen times in the dry, and a few in the wet.

Would you say, that the average rider would run his new FZ 09 down Hwy. 129, at the same pace that you are doing?
Probably not, if the photos are of you on the stock suspension, that is most likely, better than 80% or more, of what anyone else would do on the FZ 09, on that road.

I guess after road racing for 3 years, at 9 different tracks. Dangling it on the street, has lost it's appeal to me. Not that I have not done it. Every one has to ride their own bike. I may swap out the shock, and do the fork mod. eventually..........just have not felt the need to do so, just yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am right there with you knobby. A healthy or hefty 250lbs. After two oil changes and 800 miles I can say that I enjoy the power of the FZ09 and I am looking for suggestions; what is the best way for me to adjust the settings of my suspension? I have caught on that I am on the heavy side of riders around here, and even lighter riders complain about the factory suspension. What are my options for adjusting the stock parts for a better ride?
I'm about 265#. The best you can do with the stock suspension is dial in all of the pre-load on both ends, and crank in all of the damping that is available. It will be a long way from perfect, but it works OK until you get around to changing the suspension with heavier springs and something to get more damping. I've got a Penske on the way and am holding out for Nick's 25mm cartridge fork setup.

Mike

Reactions: 3OFAKIND

·
Registered
300 Posts
That is a great review.
Basically you came to the same conclusion, with the rear ride height, vs. the front.
The bike seems to like that front to rear, ride height change, using the stock suspension, or modified Shock / fork combination is used.
Thanks, I like it set up that way.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
With Deals Gap in your back yard, you are more dialed in to it, more than most, that's for sure. I have only ridden it a half dozen times in the dry, and a few in the wet.

Would you say, that the average rider would run his new FZ 09 down Hwy. 129, at the same pace that you are doing?
Probably not, if the photos are of you on the stock suspension, that is most likely, better than 80% or more, of what anyone else would do on the FZ 09, on that road.

I guess after road racing for 3 years, at 9 different tracks. Dangling it on the street, has lost it's appeal to me. Not that I have not done it. Every one has to ride their own bike. I may swap out the shock, and do the fork mod. eventually..........just have not felt the need to do so, just yet.
Ray, just so you know, I really don't ride the hill very agressively.....too many things to go wrong up there and if the feces hits the oscillator, there are generally only two scenarios....
1. You go over the side of the mountain.
2. You go into the side of the mountain.............neither of them have a happy ending most of the time, so I pretty much save my hard riding for the track.

Reactions: Jen and BlueRidge09
1 - 20 of 45 Posts