Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Yall..

I finally finished my first "mod" on the FZ-09 and installed a HID lighting kit. Because our bikes use a H4 dual filament bulb i went with a Bi-xenon setup which will retain the Hi/Low function. This setup required an extra controller box and harness so finding a place to put both that and the ballast was a challenge.

I ended up sourcing a "Mini" HID ballast that would work:

IMG_3779.JPG

I also had to cut up and rewire the harness and controller box to work with the bike. I ended up mounting both the ballast and the control box on the inside of the frame:

Controller Box:
IMG_3850.jpg

Ballast:
IMG_3852.jpg

The Bi-Xenon Bulb in action:

Light Pattern:

So far everything works great. I really like the light it puts out. I think i might change the bulb temperature to be less blue. Currently they are 6K.

What do you guys think? Also, i wanted to get a feeler if anyone would be interested in a kit. It would include all the necessary components, modified harness, and instructions/locations to mount. I contacted the place i bought my components he said he would get us a good price if we got enough people together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4300-5000 at the highest
I agree. I'm going to try 5k.

Thanks whistle. I was actually surprised how controlled the light beam is. Good design on yamahas part. Of course not as controlled like a projector, but not unsafe for other drivers.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Doing a projector retrofit on this bike is very easy! The housing is designed for a halogen, not an HID, so the light output would be optimized with a projector. I got a mini projector, D2S bulb (5000k), and a relay harness from theretrofitsource.com. Since you already have the wiring done, which is the hardest part, taking apart the housing is as simple as putting it in the oven at 200 degrees for 12 minutes and it comes apart like a clam shell. Put the projector in, reheat the housing, and stick it all back together. It literally took me 45 mins to do the retrofit. This was my 1st attempt at doing a retrofit like this and came out perfect. I painted the inside of the housing and shroud flat black and it looks sick!

Reactions: mozsipahi

·
Registered
298 Posts
In order to do a proper retrofit, there are many things that come into play. Alignment, mounting, and longevity are just a few. I generally put 5-6 hours into each retrofit more there are extra accessories. Lots of factors most don't consider is what I specialize in. My services will always be available, and even offer discount retrofit kits from the retrofit source for the DIYers.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Yall..

I finally finished my first "mod" on the FZ-09 and installed a HID lighting kit. Because our bikes use a H4 dual filament bulb i went with a Bi-xenon setup which will retain the Hi/Low function. This setup required an extra controller box and harness so finding a place to put both that and the ballast was a challenge.

I ended up sourcing a "Mini" HID ballast that would work:

View attachment 2065

I also had to cut up and rewire the harness and controller box to work with the bike. I ended up mounting both the ballast and the control box on the inside of the frame:

Controller Box:
View attachment 2066

Ballast:
View attachment 2067

So far everything works great. I really like the light it puts out. I think i might change the bulb temperature to be less blue. Currently they are 6K.

What do you guys think? Also, i wanted to get a feeler if anyone would be interested in a kit. It would include all the necessary components, modified harness, and instructions/locations to mount. I contacted the place i bought my components he said he would get us a good price if we got enough people together.

Hey where exactly did you put the ballast? And what did you have to cut?? I orderd a hi/low kit and have been trying to figure out where I can put it all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My HID setup:
uploadfromtaptalk1425944212087.jpg

Here's the ballast; mounted to the horn's bracket with custom plate - close enough to fit in with the original manufacturer's unextended power plug, far enough to avoid interference with the instrument panel:
uploadfromtaptalk1425944351196.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425944366054.jpg

Following photo belongs to @FJRider:
uploadfromtaptalk1425944391122.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Los
My HID setup:
View attachment 14196

Here's the ballast; mounted to the horn's bracket with custom plate - close enough to fit in with the original manufacturer's unextended power plug, far enough to avoid interference with the instrument panel:
View attachment 14197
View attachment 14198

Clean set up man. I ended up doing the same thing with the hi/low kit I had but the HIDs ended up going out on me. I thought it was from being damp underneath my bike cover..I just installed a low beam kit yesterday so hopefully this one doesn't go out. I wanted to ask how your HID set up has been holding up and if you have been in the rain or wet conditions with it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a noob. Where or how do you guys attaint this custom plate for mounting? And how do you mount the horn onto the plate and the plate onto the bike?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doing a projector retrofit on this bike is very easy! The housing is designed for a halogen, not an HID, so the light output would be optimized with a projector. I got a mini projector, D2S bulb (5000k), and a relay harness from theretrofitsource.com. Since you already have the wiring done, which is the hardest part, taking apart the housing is as simple as putting it in the oven at 200 degrees for 12 minutes and it comes apart like a clam shell. Put the projector in, reheat the housing, and stick it all back together. It literally took me 45 mins to do the retrofit. This was my 1st attempt at doing a retrofit like this and came out perfect. I painted the inside of the housing and shroud flat black and it looks sick!
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts