Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am currently doing some research for a new motorbike and trying to narrow down the options to a select few.
After doing some reading I noticed that the FZ-09's tank is on the smaller side at around 14L.

The majority of the time I will commute with the motorcycle with around 1/2 highway 1/2 inner city riding.
The tank range is quite a big deal for me as my current bike gets around 200km at best before the light comes on and a frustration.

Can you guys share how far you generally go before the fuel warning light comes on?
I have read a figure which suggests around 220km range on a tank however I am not sure if this was a real world number or a best case scenario that the manufacturers tend to quote.

The more people that respond the better idea I would get as not everyone rides the same way or under the same conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That would be 3.7 gallons and 136 miles for us non-metric types.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My F-Trip usually arrives around 110-115 miles, depending on how I drive. I've gone up to 130 without refueling, though my only goal at that point was to find a gas station. I find I rarely go further than 120 without a stop at the station.

·
Registered
380 Posts
between 120 and 130 depending on how I ride. Only 3.7 gal tank about 42 mpg's. Fuel gauge is conservative like my Rav4 it's on E but still gas in tank. I usually still have just less than a gallon when I fuel up

Reactions: jkmoto-x and voytek

·
Registered
418 Posts
I fill up at 100 miles give or take. I know the flash will begin around 105-110, and by 120 there's barely a 1/2 gallon left. For me 130 is MAX mileage out of a tank.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
637 Posts
For my commute, which is 150 miles for 5 days worth, I can go the whole distance without filling up, but the light is usually flashing and the count up mileage has turned itself on. My commute is mostly 70 mph freeway with 20% mostly free running city streets.

·
Registered
583 Posts
fill up req'd at 216.6 km... or if you are very conservative with the throttle, 235.1 km

·
Registered
734 Posts
Also the tank neck can be modified to get just over 4 gal in it . There's a post about it .mine is done

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Hi all, I am currently doing some research for a new motorbike and trying to narrow down the options to a select few.
After doing some reading I noticed that the FZ-09's tank is on the smaller side at around 14L.

The majority of the time I will commute with the motorcycle with around 1/2 highway 1/2 inner city riding.
The tank range is quite a big deal for me as my current bike gets around 200km at best before the light comes on and a frustration.

Can you guys share how far you generally go before the fuel warning light comes on?
I have read a figure which suggests around 220km range on a tank however I am not sure if this was a real world number or a best case scenario that the manufacturers tend to quote.

The more people that respond the better idea I would get as not everyone rides the same way or under the same conditions.
The FZ will get close to the same as your current bike. Sorry, but I get 193 Km before the light comes on under normal conditions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've only measured it once so far but my light started to flash after 146km's, roughly 87 miles I think, granted that was a very spirited ride and fuel economy wasn't a priority. I was just checking as we have a ride locally where you have to get 156km's between gas stations so I wanted to see if I could make it even if the pace was a little hot. Turns out I can if I get another 35-35km's after the light starts to flash.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't tried to figure it out exactly, but I'm thinking the low fuel indicator starts flashing when you have 1 gallon left. I have filled up shortly after it started flashing and it's been apx 2.5 gallons to fill each time. Depending on your riding your avg mpg should be close to the distance you can go after it starts flashing.. Although I would probably not push my luck that far..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty much all highway, can almost get to 250km before it starts flashing. I need a stretch about then anyway.
250km, nice... How much fuel are you using when you fill up? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of mileage you are getting. Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also the tank neck can be modified to get just over 4 gal in it . There's a post about it .mine is done
I too, have done the filler neck mod.
Taking it easy, with no performance riding, I average 46-50 MPG routinely, in warm weather where you will always get your best mileage.

Running hard and aggressive, mileage drops to 42-43.

One more thing, I have switched to 87 octane, and the bike has never pulled harder. In the past, I have run many bikes that "require premium fuel"
and never had any issues with detonation. This is when using 87 octane / 10% ethanol too.

More than a few of my bikes have made more RWHP on 87 than 93. Tested, and proven, many times by me and others.

Flame on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nothing flameable about that - lower octane gas has more energy in it - all good, unless you're getting knock.

Just found today I have averaged 55mpg (imperial). That's insane! And all due to my local roads and not my advancing age, obviously..

·
Registered
111 Posts
With mixed ridding, that is some slow traffic, some 120kph highway and some very, very fast blatts I get 250ks to empty.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I rarely let it get to flashing. But I did the other day at 148 miles. With gentle commuting I get almost 50 mpg. On weekends that drops to about 40.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts