Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bah! Got cutoff on the freeway at about 25 mph... Locked up front wheel. FZ-09 on the pavement. For the most part not too bad. I'm fine, just a little sore. Over 10 year of riding and no issues with my FZ1, and less than a month with the new bike... :crybaby2:

Only damage is to the right bar end, rear brake lever broke, and some scratches to right side engine covers. Minor scratches to the mirror and turn signal. Should have gotten those frame sliders!!! Bah!!!

Also, though, the clutch isn't engaging, but it's just due to the cable being very loose rather than (I hope) damage to the actual clutch... I think when it hit the pavement, the spring-loaded lever on top of the clutch cover got whacked out of place.

Could someone post a close up of the spring-loaded lever where the clutch engages, right above the clutch cover so I can check if the angle is off?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you and the bike are relatively ok. I snapped a few pics of the clutch actuator arm on my bike. I hope they help.

Clutch_Actuater.JPG Clutch_Actuater1.JPG Clutch_Actuater2.JPG Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you and the bike are relatively ok. I snapped a few pics of my the clutch actuator arm on my bike. I hope they help.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Sorry Bro, all it matter is that you're fine. I had a very close call this week too. Saved it at the last minute... fkn dog!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Crap man, to bad. Well you got crashing out of the way now so smooth riding from now on.
My last 25mph crash was eleven day hospital stay and five month recovery then a new hip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did the driver who cut you off pull over? They should be paying for the repairs.
I disagree. He locked up his wheel went down and still didn't hit the car in front of him. Not saying the car was in the right but it's not his fault the OP locked his wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the driver who cut you off pull over? They should be paying for the repairs.
No I didn't think the person even knew... But as someone else said, I locked up the front wheel... Also, in that area there was actually a good amount of debris in the freeway. It's possible that as I braked, I also hit some of the debris...

I think that because for the life of me I don't think I hit the brakes extremely hard... But it all happened so fast. I'm up and everything is fine, the next second I'm skidding across the pavement with the wind knocked out of me unable to breath..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far, the damage:

Front brake lever $47
Brake pedal $98
Oil pump cover/gasket $46/$6
Crankcase cover/gasket $91/$14
Total $302

And extras:
Bar ends
Frame sliders (why didn't I get these already?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

So, overall not too bad. Plan to do all the work myself. Will probably wait to change the covers until the 600 mile service as all the oil needs to come out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So far, the damage:

Front brake lever $47
Brake pedal $98
Oil pump cover/gasket $46/$6
Crankcase cover/gasket $91/$14
Total $302

And extras:
Bar ends
Frame sliders (why didn't I get these already?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

So, overall not too bad. Plan to do all the work myself. Will probably wait to change the covers until the 600 mile service as all the oil needs to come out.
Not too bad.

If it makes ya feel any better, my wife dropped my FZ-09 within two hours that I had it. She wasn't moving when it happened, but her jeans got caught on the right foot peg at the stop sign at the end of our street. It dropped gracefully, but still has a couple scratches. Frame sliders would have helped, but I dunno how much actually. The engine sticks out a lot on the bottom and is the first place it hits underneath.

I will have some pics tomorrow of FZ-09 fit frame sliders from T-Rex racing. Should be available to order next week.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Not the kind of trophies you want on your shelf, at least you're ok and it wasn't that expensive to replace the bits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So... I replaced the broken brake lever today. Went smoothly.

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why the clutch won't disengage... The bike won't start if it's in any gear, and as soon as I shift into gear from neutral with the clutch engaged, the rear wheel starts moving and it dies.

The clutch felt a little loose, which I adjusted, but no luck... There's definitely a good amount of resistance when I depress the lever. It feels normal, but something just isn't happening. When I compare the travel to the clutch on my FZ-1 (I know, not apples to apples), it looks about the same.

I sat for about 5 minutes just depressing the lever over and over as I read sometimes right side crashes can cause clutch issues related to pressure, but no change.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try before tearing off the clutch cover??

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Does the lever on the case cover move smoothly and is it in its normal position (close to 90 degrees) in relation to the cable end?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts