Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
In my humble opinion, Bilt products are junk! I survived an 85 MPH low side back in 2005 wearing a set of First Gear leathers and ended up with three broken ribs and a messed up shoulder and a concussion, but not a scratch on me and the leathers were slightly damaged....but able to be repaired. I've still got them today and they are in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Built products?
Cycle Gear sell them, as well as some other places.........they are, lets say, extremely cheap entry level, make you feel good that you're wearing something, riding gear. Not for me!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I walked away from 2 wrecks with the same pair of diesel jeans and AGV sport leather jacket. I had different AGV helmets and combat style timberland boots. I still wear the same jacket since it held up well both times. Eventually I will get a new jacket. I replaced the helmet with another AGV and switched from AGV gloves to Alpinestars. As for boots, I switched from the Timberlands to a pair of track style Dianese. Little by little I upgrade my gear, but I have to say AGV makes a solid helmet so I will most likely stick with that brand.

I've seen the bilt brands up close and I'm not impressed. What I haven't seen is any professional track rider where Bilt, there must be a reason for that.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bilt is what it is. Cheap gear. Better than nothing but you get what you pay for. That said I will not but another pair of Alpine Stars street gloves. My last two pairs have torn from merely putting them on and taking them off. They are over priced junk. Never had a real spill in my textile jacket so don't know about that. My Teknic one piece that I posted all of $400 for came along for a high side last year and merely was scuffed. Was impressed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey, the gear did what it was supposed to. If it works once, that's enough. So what if it's cheap (disposable). At least he was wearing something. It's better than road rash. I wouldn't keep any helmet after a crash either.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In my humble opinion, Bilt products are junk! I survived an 85 MPH low side back in 2005 wearing a set of First Gear leathers and ended up with three broken ribs and a messed up shoulder and a concussion, but not a scratch on me and the leathers were slightly damaged....but able to be repaired. I've still got them today and they are in good shape.
Riding leather based on various studies is really the best material that resists tearing and ripping associated with crashes. The downside is for sport-touring riding in rain, leather does not hold up too well or can be a bit hot in steamy 100+ degree days. Riding leather gear can vary dramatically in quality including, the type, age and diet of the animal it came from. The best way to tell if the garment is made of good leather is to look at the price tag. Good leather costs more and the cost is passed on to the consumer. There is also Kevlar and certain grades of nylon that are more resistant than others. I think Bilt gear is probably constructed with a lower grade of nylon. If you want high-end (cough, cough) Aerostich is the cat's meow.

The cost of good gear is worth the price to save you from injury in the event of a mishap. It's your body and life. I have had good luck using Craigslist to pick up slightly used gear in good condition on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
BilLT = Ballarpur Industries Limited (From India). The Cycle Gear stores sell their stuff. The rider's jacket was made by BiLT.
I would never buy a bilt helmet. But I did buy bilt cool weather pants and gloves and crashed with them. Barely damaged and not a scratch on me. I definitely wouldn't say it's good quality, but my body isn't complaining.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah Zloikish, but your crash was a low speed one. In some crashes almost any protective gear will be enough, even a cheap pair of cloth gardening gloves etc. At higher speed (but still far less than race speed) it is a completely different situation. Or say your leg is caught under the bike so just one part of you and your gear takes all the grinding, that is what happened when I hit the 70mph fawn, I'd just started wearing race quality one piece leathers, without those I'd have been hamburger. Or if you high side you need the best impact protection you can get.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
161 Posts
Why do folks find the need to post on the internet about their crashes?? I don't get it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Why do folks find the need to post on the internet about their crashes?? I don't get it.
This is actually a pretty good question. The Internet has changed the nature of relationships, perhaps forever. People date and marry as a result of Internet interactions. (My sister and brother-in-law met that way, and so far as I can tell they're happily married after many years and raising my niece.) It's different, but it works. YamahaFZ09.com isn't a dating site (unless the FZ-09 is your date; that's understandable), but it's a place where different people meet to discuss a similar interest. We often learn we're not really much different, too.

Many people have a desire to share their successes and disappointments with others who understand what they're experiencing. The Internet provides a venue for sharing. To be fair, some web forums are more subject-oriented than people-oriented; others are more people-oriented. Nothing wrong either way; I am a member of both types of forums. This forum is new, but I perceive a growing people-oriented component that nicely complements the original subject-oriented component, the awesome motorcycle about which we post so much.

Helping people who have experienced some misfortune and supporting them through the recovery-to-success process is something I admire about human nature. That such people are willing to share their misfortunes in hopes of helping others learn, recognize and hopefully avoid the same or similar misfortunes represents a higher level of existence, in my opinion.

Just a few random thoughts...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts