Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A thread for naked middle-weight bikes with approx. 700-900 cc displacement. These are bikes that we can compare to the Yamaha FZ-09 (MT).

I'll start with the newly announced 2015 Ducati Monster 821.

Specs are not yet published. The New Monster 821 will be available with a retail price of $10,995 MSRP. It looks to be a strong rival to the FZ-09 though. Powered by an 821cc twin cylinder Testrastretta 11° engine with 4 valves/cylinder the new Monster 821 delivers 112hp with 9,1kgm torque.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That's really nice. The Ducati is more forward leaning. I wasn't a fan of it in that respect. The bike I was comparing the FZ-09 to was the Triumph Street Triple R. I would have gone for that but I couldn't touch the ground. Seriously. I'm able to put both feet flat on the ground with the FZ-09. I couldn't do that with the Triumph. So, new Yamaha.

·
Registered
957 Posts
IMO it depends on what you use the bike for. The only bike in the FZ-09's class that also has the practicality and reliability needed to be able to function just as well as a commuter as a play bike is the Kawi Z800, which we don't get in North America anyway. And it weighs a significant amount more. I don't think the European brands are really in the same class or can really be compared because they just don't have the reliability or practicality (in terms of maintenance intervals and costs) to be able to compete with a Japanese-build bike for day to day use. Now, if we're talking a pure play bike that will only see occasional/weekend use? That changes things. I'd say the Ducati Hypermotard 821 is a strong contender.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO it depends on what you use the bike for. The only bike in the FZ-09's class that also has the practicality and reliability needed to be able to function just as well as a commuter as a play bike is the Kawi Z800, which we don't get in North America anyway. And it weighs a significant amount more. I don't think the European brands are really in the same class or can really be compared because they just don't have the reliability or practicality (in terms of maintenance intervals and costs) to be able to compete with a Japanese-build bike for day to day use. Now, if we're talking a pure play bike that will only see occasional/weekend use? That changes things. I'd say the Ducati Hypermotard 821 is a strong contender.
With the 821 service intervals now extended to 18,500 miles that's much better than before.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nothing competes when you talk price. The MV? Ducati? Pretty, but what are you getting for all those thousands of dollars...?

Fewer dealers? Less reliability? Higher priced and less plentiful aftermarket choices?
Agreed. That's what this thread is for, comparing all aspects of naked middle-weights to the 09.

But the new 821 Monster price isn't outrageous compared to many European bikes and to me it is very stunning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree Fiz, I plan on keeping my FZ even if I purchase another bike in the future. My FZ will stay all stock except for the sliders and wind screen. I will continue to put MAD miles on her, (6200) so far, I keep the services up to date according to the manual and will continue to do so. I might be the first to a valve check, and I will keep the forum updated about any issues I may run into. This is my first bike, and glad I chose the FZ.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The MV is just dead sexy.....I love the looks of that bike. The Ducati.....not so much. The side shot of the bike's exhaust pipes remind me of a Bighorn sheep.....full curl Ram!

Both are out of my price league, but the MV would definitely be the bike of choice between those two. Part of the problem with some of these bike brands are what I faced when I owned my Aprilia DorsoDuro.........very limited dealer network and lots of miles to get to one. No thanks, as much as I would love to have that MV sittin' in the garage, it's not happening unless the old lottery ticket number line up!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The MV? Ducati? Pretty, but what are you getting for all those thousands of dollars...?

better suspension, better brakes, and an all around more polished product.

dont get me wrong, i ditched my speed triple for the fz09. but you cant argue that there arent legitimate reasons the European bikes are priced more than the fz09. whether or not it is with it....well thats up to the individual.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
ducati didn't release too many specs for the 821, but you can extrapolate somewhat from the 1200. for example, ducati's dry weight claim for the 821 is only 6 pounds less than their claim for the 1200, and the 1200 ends up being close to 480 pounds fully fuelled. do the math and the 821 comes out a bit of a porker. maybe it's got a 10 gallon gas tank. wheelbase is also longish, maybe a bit shorter than the 1200's 59.5 inches.

ultimately though, if a bike pushes your buttons, it pushes your buttons....regardless of what the spec sheet says.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Due to my height which is 6'7" I've been looking round and besides the FZ09 I've been thinking of the BMW f800r and the ducati Hypermotard 1100s. But after reading a lot in this forum and see some valid points as far as cost of maintenance and long term owner ship I think I will go with the FZ09. However I'm in love with that Beemer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
That ducati looks awesome, and while you're comparing the two, I was out with a buddy on the weekend with the monster 796 and in strictly a speed comparison, the 09 walked all over it. Monster sounded badass, and was comfy to ride, but ill stick with my bike

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Due to my height which is 6'7" I've been looking round and besides the FZ09 I've been thinking of the BMW f800r and the ducati Hypermotard 1100s. But after reading a lot in this forum and see some valid points as far as cost of maintenance and long term owner ship I think I will go with the FZ09. However I'm in love with that Beemer.
Dude,forget the Beemer- I was also looking at it apart from the Striple and a KTM SMT. The F800R is probably the worst Beemer I have come across- I had read that they were vibey at around 60 and when my uncle got a loaner for a few days, it was proven true. The engine lacks the energy and in general, it just feels lethargic. It is beautiful but it won't excite your senses.

And for your height,I am surprised you aren't looking at more adv bikes like the Wee or even a KLR which is so damn tall- the FZ would be tiny under you. If budget permits, I will suggest a KTM SMT though...its like a FZ but a KTM outfitted to be a Supermoto and Tourer at the same time!

The Europeans are great bikes- my favorite being the KTMs (if you couldn't tell) but they are too narrowly focused in what they do and the category they slot the bikes in (except maybe the Diavel & the SMT ofcourse). I like the FZ because it does everything without being boring- the UJM of the 21st century.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dude,forget the Beemer- I was also looking at it apart from the Striple and a KTM SMT. The F800R is probably the worst Beemer I have come across- I had read that they were vibey at around 60 and when my uncle got a loaner for a few days, it was proven true. The engine lacks the energy and in general, it just feels lethargic. It is beautiful but it won't excite your senses.

And for your height,I am surprised you aren't looking at more adv bikes like the Wee or even a KLR which is so damn tall- the FZ would be tiny under you. If budget permits, I will suggest a KTM SMT though...its like a FZ but a KTM outfitted to be a Supermoto and Tourer at the same time!

The Europeans are great bikes- my favorite being the KTMs (if you couldn't tell) but they are too narrowly focused in what they do and the category they slot the bikes in (except maybe the Diavel & the SMT ofcourse). I like the FZ because it does everything without being boring- the UJM of the 21st century.
Thanks for the input bud, I'm in love with the KTM super duke 690 and it has the same numbers as 09 does when it comes to seat height and knee and lean angles per cyclergo so it's down to if I want to pay the extra $ for the ktm or just spend that on modifying the 09. I'm still leaning towards the yamaha due to the fact that it's Japanese and more reliable and less costly when it comes to everything but the ktm will be expensive to maintain as I imagine. I don't know about the bikes you mentioned but I like the sporty/naked look so that's why I'm interested in the 09 and the others I listed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts