Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cold starts aren't that cold, I live in Florida. When I fire up the bike for the first time in a couple hours, it makes a clicking sound on idle that goes away after about 30 seconds or so. It runs great, I always warm it up and take it slow at first, etc. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but I noticed it after my oil change. Stood the bike up and checked the oil level, its right at the halfway mark. Used the correct viscosity, correct filter, no leaks, etc. So... Paranoia?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Where is the sound coming from? This sounds like a few other threads of people worried about the same thing. It's likely the CCT self adjusting. If it goes away - it's fine - if you continue to hear the clicking around 4-6k RPM range - your CCt may be shot.

Check out "I got a tick" thread for more info.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds like the cct symptoms to me. Maybe the new oil has different "non operating temperature" properties so the sound is more prevalent on a cold start.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine does this as well for about 5 seconds on a cold start. Does not seem like its coming from the right side of motor. Sounds like the top front left to me. Goes away pretty quick through.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's valve ticking. Basically, the oil drains to the pan, so when you cold start it, it takes a few seconds for oil to get to the top of the engine. This is very common for ALL engines on pretty much anything that has an oil pan.

A good quality oil filter with a working backflow preventer is usually the only way to reduce this.

Yet another reason to use a high quality motor oil that will stick to the top of the engine better, rather than down completely overnight.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The CCT will tick for 5-10 seconds on startup as it is oil pressure assisted. Pressure needs to build in order for it to place proper tension on the cam chain.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Completely normal when cold.... cct is hydraulic and needs oil pressure to adjust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts