Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
knowing my luck my first post on this forum will be in the wrong section apologize to the admin in advanced if this should go in a different section: my Buddy just showed me an article in motorcyclist where they advise that the 5-15 mm of chain slack advised by the manufacturer IS NOT enough slack for the suspension to move freely, they stated that they found with 30mm of slack, the chain only had 10 mm of free play with the suspension fully compressed. additionally, 30 mm of slack will not contact the frame under any riding conditions. Use this info however you see fit, if you would like a scan of the article please pm me your email address and I will email a scan to you (im not going to post a scan here because I don't want to violate any forum copyright rules or etiquette)

Fatnelly: you and I were discussing this very subject on saturday during the ride, you kept saying how the chain was "as tight as a banjo string" guess what the article is called: "learn to play the banjo" : )

My friend also gave me a scan of the wrap up of the long term test bike review of the fz-09, they talk about some of the issue with suspension fueling and cct, overall i would say it is a pretty fair synopsis, again pm me with email address if you are interested in reading the article.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I saw it too.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I started taking Yamaha's recommendations with a grain of salt after the manual told me to inflate the tires to 42PSI and torque my oil filter and drain bolt to some insane ft lb #.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When I picked up my bike new for the first time I noticed the chain had virtually zero play. I mentioned this to the shop owner and he said it was "within spec". After trailering the bike home I adjusted the chain to 0.75" freeplay and checked everything else before riding. You would think a shop would use their experience and common sense over "spec". I trust no one with my bikes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I forced the technician (I use that term in kindness) to re-adjust my chain when I felt its bow-string tightness upon buying it, and before riding it.

No way in hell I'd run the claimed tension by Yamaha. That's just insane. I look forward to reading the article.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please, send me an scan, i´m over 240 pounds and found hilarious the factory´s free play. From start it was irrational and feel bad, now with 3-3,5 cms of free play its feels perfect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The issue of chain tightness as well as oil drain plug torque has been known since the beginning. That the purchasers have to be subjected to these "damned if you do, damned if you don't" decisions is deplorable, especially as the dealers (usually not the sharpest knives in the drawer) must adhere to this insanity, or else they are subject to lawsuits, is nuts. I love my '09, but going through both idiocies as one of the first owners still leaves a bad taste in my mouth....ESPECIALLY since they still have not admitted that they are wrong, as evidenced by the Motorcyclist reveal.
I'm a very logical guy, and paid no attention to the manual. But how about the guys who decide to follow the manual to the letter?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yea 35 ft lbs on the drain plug is crazy, 18 to 20 is the norm on every bike I've owned . Hope nobody has stripped there's , 12lbs on the filter seems ok because of the gasket. The chain specs was so far off the rear felt like it was bound up on my ride home. RR. :cool

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yea 35 ft lbs on the drain plug is crazy, 18 to 20 is the norm on every bike I've owned . Hope nobody has stripped there's , 12lbs on the filter seems ok because of the gasket. The chain specs was so far off the rear felt like it was bound up on my ride home. RR. :cool
+1, the drain plug torque on my DR650SE is only 17.5 ft lbs, and that thing hasn't really changed since 1996.

the numbers I get in the 09 service manual I have are as follows, but are still to high.

Engine oil drain bolt M14 43 Nm (4.3 m-kgf, 31 ft-lbf)

Oil filter cartridge M20 17 Nm (1.7 m-kgf, 12 ft-lbf)

Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror Auto part Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
555 Posts
I started taking Yamaha's recommendations with a grain of salt after the manual told me to inflate the tires to 42PSI and torque my oil filter and drain bolt to some insane ft lb #.
Haha this exactly. And how many CCT versions did they try?

Maybe they should have just asked the forum in the first instance. But what do we know.

:p

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please, send me an scan, i´m over 240 pounds and found hilarious the factory´s free play. From start it was irrational and feel bad, now with 3-3,5 cms of free play its feels perfect.
im not sure how to attach a PDf to a pm, send me your email and ill send it to you

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I picked up my bike new for the first time I noticed the chain had virtually zero play. I mentioned this to the shop owner and he said it was "within spec". After trailering the bike home I adjusted the chain to 0.75" freeplay and checked everything else before riding. You would think a shop would use their experience and common sense over "spec". I trust no one with my bikes.
I bought my bike from a guy who worked for yamaha usa (corporate) and he had the chain to about 0.75" freeplay, I thought it was weird that he had let it go so far out of the manufacturers spec, guess he new what he was doing all along.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Around 30mm is the sweet spot for me too, no idea what emagineer come up with 5-15mm? Probably got fired... LOL Probably easier for Yamaha to put a bike out there and wait to have some people like us sort it out. I call it the Microsoft approach. Don't spend too much time doing R&D and put it out there unfinished... some wingnut will buy the product anyway and if we're lucky a few of them will sort it out for us. $$$ saved! :)

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Hey Marthy,
You're a smart guy so what's your opinion on the drain bolt and oil filter torque numbers in the Yamaha books?
31 ft lbs seems really big but who here really knows for sure. 12ft lbs for the filter sounds high but at least believable. I have always sworn by service manuals but we have all seen some blatant foo foos in the 09 books.
I had read elsewhere on the forum about stripped drain threads and the guy got ragged on for not having a torque wrench.
I noticed some other aggressive torque values in the manual (fork pinch bolts) but the drain bolt, to me, is the most critical.

(Sorry about the thread hijack)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
31 ft lbs seems really big but who here really knows for sure. 12ft lbs for the filter sounds high but at least believable.
i flipped through a couple of service manuals for some other bikes (suzukis, hondas). the torque values for the oil drain bolts range from 16-25 ft-lbs, and for the oil filters from 14-20. so in comparison the 09's torque spec for the drain bolt is higher, but for the filter it's actually lower. some of the other bikes may be using m12 drain bolts though, so the lower torque is understandable (09's bolt is m14).

personally, i torque the drain bolt to 20 ft-lbs and hand tighten the filter 1/2 turn past the point where the gasket first touches metal, and haven't had any issues.

even with the lower torque on the drain bolt, it still makes that loud cracking sound when i undo it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts