Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I have a question, I've riding big scooter for almost a decade now, to be more specific, Yamaha T-max 500cc, I've owned 3 so far, I'm a big fan. ( those of you who are not familiar with the Tmax, It's a 500cc scooter, lot of fun, very comfortable, reaches 120mph easily), and i realize a motorcycle offers different experience and requires different skills. My question is, is it riding a motorcycle so much different than a maxi scooter that i should get used one to learn how to shift, etc, or should i just go ahead and get a new fz-09 since i really like it and learn on it.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You're better off than some who have bought this bike with 0 experience. Personally I'd go fz07 or similar first to get your feet wet then step up to a bike like this.

Take internet advice with a grain of salt - at the end of the day you're in charge of your life choices - the 09 has a lot of torque and raw power - it's much different than riding a scooter.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think the answer depends on you. if you have the self control to respect the power and leave it in B mode for a while you may be alright but a bike with 2-3 times more engine than its suspension can handle is definitely not the ideal bike to learn on. if you do go this route, upgrade your suspension & tires imidiately

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had maybe 6 hours of seat time on an NX250 before buying my FZ09. As long as you are responsible and keep it in B mode for a while so you can adjust to the power you'll be fine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had maybe 6 hours of seat time on an NX250 before buying my FZ09. As long as you are responsible and keep it in B mode for a while so you can adjust to the power you'll be fine.
Amen brotha! I rode friends dirt bikes (YZ & CR 80/125/250's) as a teen but never owned a bike, then last year I decided to get my self a mid life crisis present at age 44 and I picked up a 2014 FZ-09. I was very nervous the day I was picking up the bike but after riding it for an hour or so in B-mode I felt fine with it even though it was raining when I left the dealer.

I spent maybe 2 weeks in B-mode then I started experimenting in STD and A modes and by the time I hit the 1 month mark I pretty much only rode in A. That was 17,000 kms ago or around 10,000 miles. Now the bike feels like an old comfy pair of very fast jeans.

The main thing is to have a very and I mean VERY! Healthy respect for this bike in the first few hundred miles, because make no mistake if taken lightly it can and will buck you off or flip you clean over backwards if you're not fully on in control.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not convinced this bike could ever be a good first motorcycle. I suspect that people who have a year or so on the bike are likely to gain confidence in skills that they have not made fully reflexive which could lead to some scary situations. I've ridden well over 150,000 miles on bikes and find that the FZ-09 is the most challenging bike I've ever ridden (and that's after a Penske shock and re-mapped ECU). For example: two weeks ago, I was riding on a road I've ridden many, many times before. I was leaned over hard in a nice curve in 4th gear and the front wheel started to come off the ground under hard throttle. No matter how hard I ever rode my SV650, it never, ever tried to bite me. Not in 90,000 miles. If I got a little handsy with the gas, it'd say: "dude, I'll tolerate that, but you may want to rethink that approach for next time." The FZ doesn't abide. My 07 CBR600RR was a more forgiving and gentle tool. It'd bear it's teeth in the mountains at 10,000 rpms and warp you into the next corner, but when you got there, the brakes would haul you down safely and the fork could take it. The FZ, feels all the world like a SS until you find yourself trail braking into a bumpy descending radius corner. It's only when you really need it to be, that it reminds you it isn't a SS. That isn't a huge problem, unless you a) weren't aware of the bike's limits and b) don't know how to deal with them when you approach them. Sure it can be done as a first bike, but there's that saying that goes something like your next bike won't be your last unless it is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not convinced this bike could ever be a good first motorcycle. I suspect that people who have a year or so on the bike are likely to gain confidence in skills that they have not made fully reflexive which could lead to some scary situations. I've ridden well over 150,000 miles on bikes and find that the FZ-09 is the most challenging bike I've ever ridden (and that's after a Penske shock and re-mapped ECU). For example: two weeks ago, I was riding on a road I've ridden many, many times before. I was leaned over hard in a nice curve in 4th gear and the front wheel started to come off the ground under hard throttle. No matter how hard I ever rode my SV650, it never, ever tried to bite me. Not in 90,000 miles. If I got a little handsy with the gas, it'd say: "dude, I'll tolerate that, but you may want to rethink that approach for next time." The FZ doesn't abide. My 07 CBR600RR was a more forgiving and gentle tool. It'd bear it's teeth in the mountains at 10,000 rpms and warp you into the next corner, but when you got there, the brakes would haul you down safely and the fork could take it. The FZ, feels all the world like a SS until you find yourself trail braking into a bumpy descending radius corner. It's only when you really need it to be, that it reminds you it isn't a SS. That isn't a huge problem, unless you a) weren't aware of the bike's limits and b) don't know how to deal with them when you approach them. Sure it can be done as a first bike, but there's that saying that goes something like your next bike won't be your last unless it is.
I agree completely. There is something to be said for a having a bike with less power that you can full throttle under any circumstances. I don't have experience with a lot of different bikes, but my old Honda Hawk 400 was a lot of fun. A little wimpy at times but you could whip it around like a madman with no worries.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Nice to see a NEW subject being discussed here.:cool::p

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I think the answer depends on you. if you have the self control to respect the power and leave it in B mode for a while
This....it depends on you. Are you responsible? Do you understand your skills and limits? And are you a mature driver? Just because its an FZ does not mean you have to be going around a tight curve under full throttle in 4th gear. I know I wouldn't be doing that...at least not under full throttle. Again, it depends on how you think you will ride and the skills to handle that. The FZ will go down a 45 mph speed limit road at 45 mph just like any other bike. The question is...will you?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This....it depends on you. Are you responsible? Do you understand your skills and limits? And are you a mature driver? Just because its an FZ does not mean you have to be going around a tight curve under full throttle in 4th gear. I know I wouldn't be doing that...at least not under full throttle. Again, it depends on how you think you will ride and the skills to handle that. The FZ will go down a 45 mph speed limit road at 45 mph just like any other bike. The question is...will you?
Mine can go down that same road at 40, but it's crystal clear she'd Much rather be going 60+ than 40 -- it's a real chore to restrain her, but then again, she's one of the original 2014's Rapid Red.:p

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think I would classify it as your first motorcycle since you owned a TMax (a 45hp 500cc twin). The suspension on the TMax I rode actually worked better in corners than my 2014 FZ-09 did before I upgraded it - but the smaller wheels didn't handle road imperfections as well. Just remember that it has over twice the power and weighs 60 pounds less. Throttling up from idle is where your biggest difference is going to be - don't pounce on it. Respect that throttle because where you could full throttle away from a stop or slow speeds - the FZ-09 flip you in an instant. It will also get you into trouble at higher speeds just by getting you going way faster in otherwise familiar settings. I would compare the jump from a TMax to the FZ-09 to being like the jump from a 175/200cc scooter to the TMax. The FZ-07 would be a closer upgrade, and it's a great bike too - but if you want the 09 then it's what you should get. Of course, my opinion is only worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Start with a used Ninja 250 or Ninja 500. I say used because it's not if you go down, it's when you go down. Nothing hurts more than dropping a "new" motorcycle. Scooter are gas and brake as far as controls go. Motorcycles add two more to the mix, shift and clutch. It takes some time for the neurons in your brain to make the connections which allow you to acquire the new skill set. Once the skills are acquired it becomes reflex and you're ready for the power of the FZ09.

I say used Ninja because they're a dime a dozen, and always able to resale to another novice who is generally less informed about buying motorcycles and willing to pay a steeper price. The few Ninjas I've rebuilt have always been able to sell for more than blue book and the buyer is just happy to have new wheels. Also motorcycles are not just about riding, it's about maintenance and the zen that comes from making your steed trusty and safe, Ninjas are EASY to work on!

HTH

·
Banned
739 Posts
IMO this isn't a new subject. I haven't ridden scooters but I don't think they're anything like a full sized motorcycle.

Get a used Kawasaki Ninja EX250. Learn on that for a year. Then you can sell it and move up. Stay away from and FZ-09/FZ-07 for a first bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fz09 is my first bike, though I've spent time on a motorcycle before. I've also driven exclusively manual cars for the last 10+ years so I don't have to waste much mental effort thinking about shifting. I consider myself a mature and safety conscious rider. It's all about your self-control and attitude. An fz09 is just as dangerous as a ninja 250 if you're going 100mph down a crowded highway. The real difference is that the FZ has the overhead capability to be ridden harder and faster and poor throttle control can yield worse consequences. With that said, I've found that it's very easy to ride within my limits and comfort zone as I work on developing the skills I need to progress. And having a bike that I'm really excited to own just makes me that much more excited to go out and practice and ride and enjoy the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first bike was FZ09 (MT09). Never ride a bike before. Got my licence and get the bike the day after. I used the B mode for 2 months to get used to the bike. Then started to use A mode. I have the bike for 1 year, and made 9500 miles.

I think every bike can be dangerous depending on how you ride it. The FZ09 is not an exception. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
My first bike was FZ09 (MT09). Never ride a bike before. Got my licence and get the bike the day after. I used the B mode for 2 months to get used to the bike. Then started to use A mode. I have the bike for 1 year, and made 9500 miles.

I think every bike can be dangerous depending on how you ride it. The FZ09 is not an exception. :)
Kudos for being a responsible rider. The price point of the FZ09 is very enticing to riders seasoned and novice, and I've seen both go down. Even the pros crash.

Point being, crash something else that's cheaper to fix and keep the FZ09 insurance rates low!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I never rode anything but a klr650 prior to my fz. Don't be stupid, don't ride with young sport bike riders, and watch twist of the wrist 1 and 2 before you even think about getting on the seat

1 - 20 of 119 Posts