Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Corey,

First thank you for your report. I don't think it's crazy to consider this a 'sport tourer' at all. If someone can go cross-country on a single cylinder thumper, this definitely will offer more comfort to do the same.

I'm planning a fly & ride next year and this is one of the bikes that I'm eyeballing. ~21 days and ~7,000 miles starting in Illinois and heading up to Maine, down to FLA then over to AZ and this is a bike that I'm keeping a very close eye on. Luggage-wise I was just going to throw my existing great basin on the bike and treat it much the same as my KLR, maybe with an extra gallon of fuel strapped somewhere on the rear.

Are you aware what the max load currently is for the bike? I'm worried at ~260 with gear that throwing on luggage may overload it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is great! Definitely on my 'to do' list for the FZ-09. Can you share a closeup of the bags and how you rigged them on the bike?

·
Banned
161 Posts
Corey, I've gotta make sure to keep track of your bike and it's mileage!! I am thinking I will wait until next year's model comes out, and I was hoping that there will be a few FZ09's out there with a good amount of miles before September/October, to see if there are any small issues to be dealt with really. It looks like yours is a good candidate. Keep rackin' up them miles!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Corey, I've gotta make sure to keep track of your bike and it's mileage!! I am thinking I will wait until next year's model comes out, and I was hoping that there will be a few FZ09's out there with a good amount of miles before September/October, to see if there are any small issues to be dealt with really. It looks like yours is a good candidate. Keep rackin' up them miles!!
It's a Yamaha. Nothing will go wrong with it.
I have a 2011 Super T with 40xxx hard km's on it. No reliability issues.
Buy it, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great story + pics, looking forward on your opinion aka pro and cons such as;
- seat position and comfort?
- tires, especially in the morning under colder temps -how did they OEM feel?
- suspensions feel, where did the stock ones bottom out?
- power distribution, which mode was the modest comfortable?
- others observation

How did you powered your accessories? Thanks for sharing your touring inputs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm so glad I found your review! We are planning a 1100 mile multi-state trip in May- I'm on the hunt for a windshield now. I would love to know more about your luggage. Thanks for all the info- looks like it was a beautiful trip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in your school of thought, I need to fab up a bracket for my zero gravity windscreen I kept after selling my FZ1 and hopefully Yamaha will release the rear cargo rack so I can put my GIVI luggage rack on and I am going to tour, commute and do track days with this bike! oh yeah and I have my air hawk seat for my tender butt!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Corey,

This is an inspiring story! Way to go. This is just the kind of trip most of us fantasize about. Congrats for doing it. Please send more details and pics.

Hope to see you on my own big road trip one day soon.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Brother! Nice work!!! Cool.
Thanks for sharing the expedition.
This inspires me all the more... already making plans for next season (late May '15)... going to do a 1,000 mile ride in one day. Got the route mapped.
Welcome to the Machine! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very well done!! Riding such a distance is not as easy as it seems. I once rode a fully-loaded Yamaha TW200 from Texas to Nevada in 40-50 degree weather and it almost killed me. My FZ-09 is much easier to ride but the farthest I have taken it is about 350 miles/6 hours in a day and that really wore me out!

I gotta ask, did you wear earplugs? My FZ is really noisy which is not bad for short jumps but can really wear on you for long trips. How about the hotel, were you able to wheel the bike into your rooms along the way? Thats what I did when I rode cross country before. Much more peace of mind. On a side note, I had planned on camping but was sooooo glad I decided to get a cheap motel. A shower and a good night sleep do wonders when you're on such a long and demanding ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have been doing a 10 day trip for the past 5 years. I ride a fz1 and my buddy rides a fz09, both bikes are a very capable sport-tourer. I recently bought a fz09 as a second bike and would not hesitate to use it on a long trip, with a windshield and bags of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done 2750 miles trip in 5 days Jun-30 to Jul-05 2019 from Montreal, QC Canada to ride through Tail of the Dragon on my fz09 '2017.
So far the only small improvement I did for this bike was Seat Concepts Foam and Cover Kit for OEM saddle pan: https://seatconcepts.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-2017-fz09-mt09-gp
Being 6ft tall I felt not so much of improvement for my boney butt. Still it is somewhat better than the stock saddle is. The need to stop for refuel every 140 miles does also help. So it was ok.
I must tell that wind noise was less annoying on the naked (I have no windscreen) than it used to be on my past FZ1 '2001 which had windscreen but it was never enough for me. That windscreen was causing only more turbulence in my head area. So having good Arai helmet and earplugs makes possible to do 500...600 miles a day on fz09 as is without windscreen. I can hardly imagine the look of this bike with a windscreen which would be tall enough to be useful for me. From the other side, those bikes with more touring comfort are of less interest for me for one or another reason. And yes it was total joy and fun riding fz09 through twisties of Tail of the Dragon. I've done three passes. Two of those were after rain in evening time right before sunset. There was water vapour raising over hot asphalt after the rain and hot summer day. :) Totally terrific scenery, experience and memories for life.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts