Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping I wouldn't hate my 09 after the first long trip, especially with no windshield, but we both did great. I left 10/24 at noon and got home 10/28 at 3pm. Total mileage was 2280 miles! 3 days were over 500 miles. The bike has 5278 miles now! Do I get a prize for highest mileage in the first month?

I don't normally ride nearly this much, but the new bike has just been so much fun. At least maybe this shows that there probably aren't going to be any major new bike issues, as nothing has gone wrong. Even the chain has just finally stretched enough to need adjustment.

I went through Owens Valley, CA, a lot of northwest Nevada, northeast CA, and a little bit of Oregon. Also a little bit of Death Valley. Temperatures were from 28 to 78 degrees. I had a lot of wind at times, not much fun, and some rain with 39 degree temps with wet gloves, really not fun.

I was using my Tourmaster heated jacket liner and heated chaps. The bike seemed to be able to power all that no problem but the charging system probably wouldn't keep up below 3500 rpm or so. I need to check what rpm it takes to break even.

This really is a comfortable enough bike for 10 hour days, at least for me, although the seat got painful but not unbearable. With a windshield and seat mods it will be almost perfect. I do need to build or buy a rear rack of some kind so I can carry a larger seat bag.

The bike ran great the whole time, started immediately every time, even on 25 degree mornings. Gas mileage averaged 52.7 mpg. Mostly I was just cruising 65-70 mph and then twisting on the throttle a lot in appropriate twisty sections. I was checking the mpg gauge on the bike every fillup and found that it is really inconsistent. Pretty disappointing as I was using it to estimate how much fuel I had left, since I don't like to trust fuel gauges on bikes.

It doesn't seem to use any oil. The synthetic Spectro 10w40 I put in at 1200 miles hasn't gone down at all in 4k miles.

The small tank, 4.1 gallons after mods, wasn't really a problem except the time my GPS swore there was gas in Denio, NV. They hadn't had gas in over a year. My low fuel was already flashing and it was 98 miles to gas in Winnemucca and it was almost dark. And getting really cold. A really kind soul who worked in the restaurant there offered to drive 5 miles home to get a can of gas for me. I hate to put people out but I had no other options. She tried to charge me 7 dollars for 2 gallons but I made her take a 20, she didn't want to take it though. Saving me from freezing to death was worth at least 13 dollars.

I know some of you will think I'm nuts for thinking this is some kind of touring bike, especially since Yamaha kind of ruled that out, with the small tank. I just really like the bike and tend to do what I want with my bikes even if it takes a little creativity to get the details right. I'm so picky and I've rejected so many bikes in the past, that when I find one I really like I try to get it to be my do everything bike. No regrets so far.

I got a bunch of photos on the trip, I will post some up when I get more energy.

I'm already thinking about a 9-10 day trip late next spring. With windshield!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Very impressive! Awesome (hindsight right?) story about the gas..lol

You are on course to put 100K miles on that bad boy! =)

Looking forward to your pics. Rest up man!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hindsight definitely has taught me to fuel up when I can, in remote areas like that.

I did do about 100 miles at 79 mph on I-80, in 30 to 40 degree temps, kind of brutal with no wind protection.

Normally I leave it in std mode, but have been using A mode in the twisties, I like the extra response and at higher elevation, it seems like it hasn't lost as much power as it really has. After a really long day, when I don't have the muscle control I used to, B mode is really helpful at slower speeds, or in towns.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Every bike is what you make it to suit your likes and use. Most of us have changed things on our bikes. It just natural. I like it naked but I have some throw over tourmaster bags and will be looking for a windshield for the 500 mile trips that I can put on and then take off easy once home. I don't need to fight the wind and care less how it looks when I am in that travel mode. It is tough knowing when to gas up if you don't know the area. technology is often wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coreytrevor, sounds like a wonderful trip, Nevada is great state to ride in hardly any cars on most roads, few gas stations though. I use to ride between Reno and Las Veges on a Kawasaki Mach III and always ran out of gas between Hawthorne and Tonopah ,as that MC would get 25MPG and at 19 years old slowing down was out of the question,especially with no speed limit back then. Someone would always stop and help, usually an old guy in a pickup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coreytrevor, sounds like a wonderful trip, Nevada is great state to ride in hardly any cars on most roads, few gas stations though. I use to ride between Reno and Las Veges on a Kawasaki Mach III and always ran out of gas between Hawthorne and Tonopah ,as that MC would get 25MPG and at 19 years old slowing down was out of the question,especially with no speed limit back then. Someone would always stop and help, usually an old guy in a pickup.
That's my favorite thing about the desert: everybody is somewhere else. Even though a lot of the roads are straight and boring I still love it and there is always some great scenery in the distance.

Do you still have any 2-strokes? A few of my projects are in that category, if I ever get around to finishing them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I miss the deserts expansiveness, Washington is more closed in, big trees give you a tunnel effect, beautiful in it's on way. Also hides deer and the LEOs so a slower pace is required. No 2stokers any more the last was a YZ 250, long ago, still have a fondness for them, I miss the lightness,the smell of the blue smoke but time marches on. Down to 3 MCs C-14, KTM Adventure 950, and FZ 09.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
i miss the deserts expansiveness, washington is more closed in, big trees give you a tunnel effect, beautiful in it's on way. Also hides deer and the leos so a slower pace is required. No 2stokers any more the last was a yz 250, long ago, still have a fondness for them, i miss the lightness,the smell of the blue smoke but time marches on. Down to 3 mcs c-14, ktm adventure 950, and fz 09.
nothing like the smell of bean oil in the morning, it's like the smell of victory.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Awesome pics man! Did you camp out on your trip?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys! No I stayed in motels, I could barely carry enough in my bag to do that, with cold, cold weather gear and whatnot. I need some kind of rack to get a much larger bag on there. I also love that deer have nowhere to hide, one of my phobias. I had more photos but could only post 5. They might all start looking the same anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what I call a "perfect release" of a new bike!

Nice pics and excellent way to enjoy both gift's, nature and machine.

Max

·
Registered
347 Posts
This makes me happy. I was hoping to do a shorter trip similar to this not long after I get the bike. I hope the weather agrees.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Nice write up and it sounds like you had a great time. I probably can't imagine doing the kind of miles that you did on an FZ 09, but next spring/summer there will be some 300 plus mile days on mine......E. TN, North GA, North Carolina, etc. I am going to get the seat re-worked though, my arse doesn't like it that much.......and when the arse is happy, I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You deserve an ironbutt award for that trip (nice shots btw). :thumbsup: Sure, I can take the cold, but that seat... I'm going to order the alternate seat from Yamaha over the winter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts