Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was an interesting opportunity, a photo done previously with a prior motorcycle. In the foreground is my Rapid Red FZ-09. In the background is a retired US Navy F14 Tomcat fighter.

Nice view of the F14 from the front.

This fighter deployed aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75).

Originally an F14A model, this aircraft received an upgrade at some point (probably late 1980s) with F110-GE-400 jet engines. Not sure if Nick reflashed this F14's ECU to smooth a twitchy throttle ;), but the F110-GE-400 engines provided almost 45% more thrust than the 'stock' TF-30 jet engines (if I'm reading the source correctly, 30,200 lbf vs. 20,900 lbf maximum thrust) making it an F14B upgrade model. The squadron for the F14's final cruise in 2005 was VF-32, the "Swordsmen."

The previous pictures are at the VFW in East Berlin, Adams County, Pennsylvania.

This picture appears to be the same aircraft, operating from the now inactivated aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-65) in 1998.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very cool!! Love F-14's... I credit Top Gun mostly for that ;)

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
is the F14 the one where the wings sweep out depending on if its going high speed or not?

neat pic!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the F14 the one where the wings sweep out depending on if its going high speed or not?

neat pic!
Thanks! You nailed it, Luke. Variable geometry aircraft. I believe the only similar aircraft in the US military is the B-1 bomber.

F-14 with forward sweep...

... mid sweep...

... full sweep.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are all of the F-111's out of service now ?
I believe so. Australia was the last user of the F-111 and planned to retire them in 2010 which I'm fairly sure they did. The F-111 left the US inventory by the end of the 1990s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts