Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i the only one who thinks the fz-09 would make an excellent platform for an adventure bike? it's lighter than my former klr650 & has 3 times the horsepower. mine feels like a big dirtbike to me when i sit on it. has anybody tried modding their fz-09 for adventure duty? taller suspension, skid plate, bar risers, crash guards, dirtbike footpegs, small windscreen, TKC80 knobbies...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fj-09 is heavier & leaves me cold. i don't know, i just don't like it nearly as much as the fz-09. i guess i like naked bikes better.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The FZ doesn't habe the suspension for spirited adventure riding, there have been pics on the forum several times of FZs with cracked cases after taking a curb poorly. You'd have better luck stripping the FJ over building out an FZ

·
Registered
539 Posts
It can be done, but don't expect to be doing anything but dirt roads. Hitting any rock/or small jumps will leave you with a cracked oil pan. Just because it sits upright like a supermoto, does not make it one. Even with crash guards and a slightly modded oil pan, the ground clearance is not there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was thinking that taller suspension would cure the ground clearance issue, & a skid plate would go a long ways in avoiding a cracked case. the fj is $2500 more than the fz; i'm thinking the difference in cost could go toward suspension.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The difference in cost would best be spent on an ADV bike IMO.

I think there are a few people that have the engine guards, and have slightly modified their oil pan, so I think you're going to want their opinions. Quite a few people look at the bike with the same idea, not sure how many have gone through with it.

I won't throw in thoughts anymore because I'm not too much of an ADV bike fan; but if you do attempt the project, maybe the goons at ADV rider could help.
2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09 - ADVrider

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you want more travel your going to need new linkage too, and most likely have to modify the swingarm. I couldn't fit an 08 zx6r shock on my bike because it was just too long and the spring was hitting the swingarm pivot point

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't understand why you would try to ride a 09 on dirt adventures when there are bikes that are made for that and are way better suited.I have a tricked out dr 650 for that and it's even heavy for some of the places we go. Out west you need a 200 mile gas range and a 21 in front wheel for sand and rocks, as I've said before a 09 wouldn't make the first couple of miles on a real adventure ride. I buy a bike and use it for what it was designed and built to do, the fz09 is a great naked bike for twisty roads but will never be an adv bike. RR. :cool:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This has been discussed and I am also all for that route. There is thread where i posted all that you would need to do.

So far, I have only got to getting the skid plate. A cage would be great so we could add some extra lights and have more engine protection. I am planing TKCs or Conti Trail attack (since I do more interstate than true dirt). Biggest challenge would be the fuel tank though.

Suspension work is surely required for more clearance- however, I came across "Pan without a plan"...and this guy is riding a panhead across Africa- so ummm, yeah, I am pretty sure the FZ will be fine. I have seen people take fully-loaded scooters and mini cruisers up on the roads and across streams of the Himalayas (15-18K feet anyone?). Those who haven't done it, don't know what they are missing. So, only thing holding you back would be you. Don't let anyone bring you down. I think money and time is what is stopping me. Would love to see someone finally get it done! Good luck!

Here is the Pan-heandler: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pan-Without-a-Plan/366121183552245?fref=ts

·
Registered
111 Posts
You need more than just a bash plate they need a full cage.

There is no metal in the FZ side cases so one small get off and you will be walking home.

I have had my MT/FZ in the dirt quite a few times and it is fun but my V strom makes far more sense as a adventure bike, built like a tank, it will get there and back.

·
Registered
383 Posts
am i the only one who thinks the fz-09 would make an excellent platform for an adventure bike? it's lighter than my former klr650 & has 3 times the horsepower. mine feels like a big dirtbike to me when i sit on it. has anybody tried modding their fz-09 for adventure duty? taller suspension, skid plate, bar risers, crash guards, dirtbike footpegs, small windscreen, TKC80 knobbies...
No. Oil pan and headers sit too low. Suspension sucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i've owned ADV-style bikes before (such as my former KTM 950 SE); also, my wife had a DR-650, i had a DRZ-400. we both currently have honda CRF-250L models for the dirt, but they are a bit lacking on the highway. the FZ-09 hits that sweet spot of light weight + power, & with some mods, i think it could be a nice ADV bike. i'm hoping that yamaha takes the lead on this & creates something to compete with the triumph 800 XC, based on the FZ-09. they could own the market.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They will use the motor to replace the Super Ténéré in a couple of years. Mark my words. Slow sales will prompt the change
This wouldn't be a bad decision on Yamaha's part. In a perfect world: Economies to scale from producing the same engine for multiple models should result in lower cost while the greater efficiencies realized...and I sound like I went to some fancy University...never mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts