Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read on another Forum that some owners did receive or didn't receive the additional toolbag that the bike comes with. The toolbag includes a spanner wrench with 12 & 14mm ends and another spanner to adjust the pre-load on the shock. Unfortunately the tool bag doesn't fit that well in the storage tray under the seat. However if you use the rubber strap that came with the tool kit you can secure it to the underside of the seat shown in the picture below. If you look at the plastic base for the saddle, you can see closely that Yamaha designed it to hold the tool bag there. I stored my registration / insurance info in there and also left it in the original bubble wrap to help prevent moisture penetration. Although I may switch to a zip lock bag later. Now I can store other items in the storage compartment such as a wheel lock etc.

Also, I noticed there seems to be another smaller tray in front of the battery under the gas tank. Not sure how secure it is, but I think its worth investigating.

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
586 Posts
That tool kit is pretty lame really. I noticed it does NOT come with a spark plug wrench and the manual says to change the plugs every 8K miles

The back 2 rubber bosses that rest on the frame sit very close to the painted (red) side covers, you might want to be sure the "kit" doesn't rub the color off those pieces.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is what I got in my tool set - haven't ridden enough yet to try to figure out how to adjust the shock with that. It's set soft - but considering I'm on break-in and it's either been 30 degrees or wet - it hasn't been an issue.
20140110_095957.jpg

What has been an issue - is trying to adjust the rear brake light sensor. I adjusted the pedal down to make it easier to hover my foot over it - but the sensor was all the way out - so the light was staying on. The plastic nut that you would use to adjust it is screwed to the back of the ankle guard. I couldn't get it off because the swingarm is soo close, and wanted to go for a ride with call92trd (another forum member) - so I freed up some of the wire and spun the sensor in the adjuster. That of course leaves the wires twisted. Do y'all know a trick for adjusting the rear brake light sensor? I have a tiny ratchet with a bit that fits into the space - but it won't grab. When I get it off - I'll probably replace the screw with a nut or an allen head...
20140110_095208.jpg 20140110_095040.jpg

Here's 2 of the red FZ-09's in Austin - mine's the one with the big chicken strips. If the streets will dry then I plan on getting rid of them this weekend and dialing in the suspension...
20140109_193421.jpg

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What has been an issue - is trying to adjust the rear brake light sensor. I adjusted the pedal down to make it easier to hover my foot over it - but the sensor was all the way out - so the light was staying on. The plastic nut that you would use to adjust it is screwed to the back of the ankle guard.
no, the plastic adjuster nut is on the brake switch body. you're unscrewing something else in that pic.

here's the adjuster (red arrow):

you'll need to screw the nut upwards.

so I freed up some of the wire and spun the sensor in the adjuster. That of course leaves the wires twisted.
sounds like you're on the right track.

the way i did it was, hold the brake light switch stationary but pull it up slightly so that the adjuster nut isn't sitting on the metal bracket. then turn the adjuster nut. the brake light switch is not locked into place on the bracket, it sits on it and the tension from the brake pedal spring keeps it seated.

it helps if you have skinny fingers.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's what I was expecting - but when I'd try to move the nut - the hanger would flex - and it looked like the nut/hanger were one piece. It's hard to get at, and hard to see - so I video skyped my phone to my daughter's tablet and stuck my phone in there. My 17mm wrench fits it - but blocks the view - so I used a tiny pair of channel locks and I was able to see some wiggle between the nut and the mount. I held the sensor tight and was able to get the adjuster nut to move on it's own. I set it about halfway in and then unspun the sensor to clear the twist I'd put into the wires. Somehow my nut was bonded to the holder. Now I can adjust it by hand. Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's more tools on the bottom of the seat. Not under the seat, but actually stuck to the plastic seat base.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Honestly... nothing good out of this oem tool set. The only useful too is the shock tool, but the shock is useless. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Honestly... nothing good out of this oem tool set. The only useful too is the shock tool, but the shock is useless. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
My all purpose wrench can double as a spanner wrench, and would not hurt the stock shock at all. LMAO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts