Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI,

The Yamaha demo truck is local to me today through Sunday, so I figured I'd go down and see if they happened to have any FZ-07's yet. (The website does not have them on the list of available motos.) To my pleasant surprise, they had 3 available for demo rides. I was told by the guys there that they just added them to the fleet the day before and this was their first stop with 07's.

So this is nowhere near a real review - the demo ride is follow-the-leader (and ahead of the follow bike) and only about 10 miles total. They did do as best they could with the route and actually included some mild twisties. They also didn't complain with a little 'accordioning' of the group to do some mild accelerations or close a mild intentional gap through a turn.

That said, my impressions:
  • first impression was the significant increase in vibration - never ridden a parallel twin before - seemed like at least as much vibration as an SV-650 - almost as much as my old Buell (at speed, no comparison at idle)
  • second impression was one of overall lightness and eagerness to drop into turns - yes, the specs aren't much different than the 09, but it was noticeable to me, though it could also have been tire profile or something else
  • the almost completely unadjustable suspension didn't seem too bad - I'm fairly light at ~165 geared up - but even given that it seemed like there was less 'pogo-ing' on the 07 vs the stock 09 - again, though, hard to get a really good feel given the circumstances
  • the power/torque is fine - very SV-650 like and no comparison to the 09 - especially noticeable when rolling on in higher gears - the enthusiastic 07 rider will have to be prepared to use the full rev range (may blunt any mpg advantage?)
  • I prefer the stock bar position on the 07 vs stock 09 - little more forward lean and seemingly similar to my aftermarket bar
  • I also preferred the stock seat on the 07 vs the 09 - definitely flatter and maybe a bit softer for better overall comfort
  • the stock throttle action on the 07 is quite nice - again better than stock 09 and similar to my Stoltec-tuned ECU
  • the instrumentation with the tach along the bottom of the screen is even harder to read than the 09

Overall, I can definitely see the 07 being very enjoyable and perhaps even preferred by some folks over the 09 as long you are aware of what you are getting into. If you are one of those 'why not just get the 09 for $1k more?' folks, I recommend riding before judging. I would say, though, that if you are considering an 07, don't spend too much time on an 09 first! :cool:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks for the balanced review. Seems like a fun little bike- different, yet very similar to the FZ09!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
good write up, even if someone test rides both 07 and 09, they might be scared of the snatchy throttle, slightly heavier, less comfortable 09. for those unfamiliar with both, I would say go for the 09, but be prepared to drop another $500 for ECU re-flash, comfort seat and whatever else you feel is necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all! I was able to get a test ride on both the FZ09 and the FZ07.
They are very different bikes... in a way that's unfortunate that they are named so similarly.
The 09 is very powerful and smooth as butter. Think sportbike with upright egos and more
accessible torque curve, friendlier for street riding. That's it.
The 07 has tons of character and charm. It reminded me of Ducati Monster in the best sense,
with better looks and lower cost to boot. Fantastic riding position, and a hoot to ride,
she left me grinning from ear to ear. Loved it.
The 09 is for people who enjoy speed, it devours the road. The 07 is for people who enjoy the ride,
it savors the journey.
Test ride both and decide for yourself which suits you best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all! I was able to get a test ride on both the FZ09 and the FZ07.
They are very different bikes... in a way that's unfortunate that they are named so similarly.
The 09 is very powerful and smooth as butter. Think sportbike with upright egos and more
accessible torque curve, friendlier for street riding. That's it.
The 07 has tons of character and charm. It reminded me of Ducati Monster in the best sense,
with better looks and lower cost to boot. Fantastic riding position, and a hoot to ride,
she left me grinning from ear to ear. Loved it.
The 09 is for people who enjoy speed, it devours the road. The 07 is for people who enjoy the ride,
it savors the journey.
Test ride both and decide for yourself which suits you best.
I agree 100% I tested both of them back to back this past weekend and the 07 was an absolute hoot to drive, Way to go Yamaha!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
FYI,

The Yamaha demo truck is local to me today through Sunday, so I figured I'd go down and see if they happened to have any FZ-07's yet. (The website does not have them on the list of available motos.) To my pleasant surprise, they had 3 available for demo rides. I was told by the guys there that they just added them to the fleet the day before and this was their first stop with 07's.

So this is nowhere near a real review - the demo ride is follow-the-leader (and ahead of the follow bike) and only about 10 miles total. They did do as best they could with the route and actually included some mild twisties. They also didn't complain with a little 'accordioning' of the group to do some mild accelerations or close a mild intentional gap through a turn.

That said, my impressions:
  • first impression was the significant increase in vibration - never ridden a parallel twin before - seemed like at least as much vibration as an SV-650 - almost as much as my old Buell (at speed, no comparison at idle)
  • second impression was one of overall lightness and eagerness to drop into turns - yes, the specs aren't much different than the 09, but it was noticeable to me, though it could also have been tire profile or something else
  • the almost completely unadjustable suspension didn't seem too bad - I'm fairly light at ~165 geared up - but even given that it seemed like there was less 'pogo-ing' on the 07 vs the stock 09 - again, though, hard to get a really good feel given the circumstances
  • the power/torque is fine - very SV-650 like and no comparison to the 09 - especially noticeable when rolling on in higher gears - the enthusiastic 07 rider will have to be prepared to use the full rev range (may blunt any mpg advantage?)
  • I prefer the stock bar position on the 07 vs stock 09 - little more forward lean and seemingly similar to my aftermarket bar
  • I also preferred the stock seat on the 07 vs the 09 - definitely flatter and maybe a bit softer for better overall comfort
  • the stock throttle action on the 07 is quite nice - again better than stock 09 and similar to my Stoltec-tuned ECU
  • the instrumentation with the tach along the bottom of the screen is even harder to read than the 09

Overall, I can definitely see the 07 being very enjoyable and perhaps even preferred by some folks over the 09 as long you are aware of what you are getting into. If you are one of those 'why not just get the 09 for $1k more?' folks, I recommend riding before judging. I would say, though, that if you are considering an 07, don't spend too much time on an 09 first! :cool:
LOL. Excellent review/comparison. That Last sentence speaks volumes....:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Werewolf, what did you like better about the 07 riding position?
I am about 5'9", so I found the 09 a bit tall. It has great view of the road and a very upright position. It was quite nice, but the 07 felt cozier and more comfy. The 07 has slightly more leaned forward position, but is still pretty easy on hands. What I loved most was the virtual disappearance of the bike's front-end from the view, and the geometry that makes you feel that you're leaning in turns yourself, and not operating a machine that does it... It's a feeling that's difficult to describe. The 09 is a bit tall, and while it leans fantastic, I felt that I'm leaning with the bike, whereas on the 07 I felt that it was all me, and the road.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am about 5'9", so I found the 09 a bit tall. It has great view of the road and a very upright position. It was quite nice, but the 07 felt cozier and more comfy. The 07 has slightly more leaned forward position, but is still pretty easy on hands. What I loved most was the virtual disappearance of the bike's front-end from the view, and the geometry that makes you feel that you're leaning in turns yourself, and not operating a machine that does it... It's a feeling that's difficult to describe. The 09 is a bit tall, and while it leans fantastic, I felt that I'm leaning with the bike, whereas on the 07 I felt that it was all me, and the road.
The FZ-07 is sounding like the "Honda Hawk GT on steroids" that I've been lusting after the last 20 years.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To me the 07 is a modern version of the first gen SV650. I didn't get bored with the SV650, I was just ready for a new bike and I'm 56, in my riding life I wanted to try a 100ish HP bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To me the 07 is a modern version of the first gen SV650. I didn't get bored with the SV650, I was just ready for a new bike and I'm 56, in my riding life I wanted to try a 100ish HP bike.
Hey Bob, have you ever ridden a Kawasaki ZRX ? I had a 2000 1100cc, loved that bike and haven't seen anything i liked until the 09 came along.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I also just rode the 07 and 09 at the local demo. I haven't had a bike in many years and have been considering an 09 as my top choice (also looked at monster 796/821 and street triple r). My observations are coming from a beginner rider who didn't get a lot of time on either bike. I rode the 07 first and was mostly overwhelmed with excitement to be on a motorcycle again. Despite not having ridden in so long, it was comfortable and nimble and felt plenty quick. Nothing stuck out to me other than I was enjoying riding. Rode the 09 immediately after and I was surprised at how smooth the motor felt. I set it in B mode and was very gentle on the throttle. I think the shifting felt a bit smoother on the 09 as well. I didn't feel like I could get as comfortable on the 09 seat. It was like no part of the seat really felt quite right as I shifted forward and back. It wasn't terrible, but I just kept noticing it. I also found the front end seemed a little unsettled in a slow sweeping turn. In my novice opinion, it felt like the front wheel wasn't staying planted and was kind of wallowing a bit. Hard to explain. Again, not a big problem but something I noticed.

Overall, both bikes felt great. I'm still leaning toward the 09 due to the power and smoothness. Just hoping that a 2015 version improves on a few little things and adds ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts