Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a used FZ-09 for a while now...but after seeing first ride road tests and videos....I've changed my mind. Seems like the FZ-07 is the one I want now. The journalists in the UK are LOVING this bike. They say.."no vibration at all".....great handling....feels like it has MORE than the advertised 75 horsepower....grinding footpegs all day long....massive torque for a twin cylinder....hooligan bike...easy to wheelie" etc etc. Three different UK magazines...and all say the same things. One rated it a 9.9 out of 10.

Oh and it DOES NOT have ride by wire or ANY electronic aids. They say the fueling is perfect...it's smooth.....no JERKING THROTTLE.....great brakes and a bunch more. I'm stoked. Gotta ride one as soon as possible. Whoever held off getting FZ-09 for the new FZ-07.....turned out to be a great decision.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
CD599, I forget your country. If you are in the States will you try to get an 07 from Canada? I hope Yamaha brings the 07 to the USA but it's hard to count on a big company doing the right thing lol.

I have no doubt I'd enjoy the 07, but coming from the SV650 I was in the mood for around a 100HP so I'm happy with the 09.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've wanted a used FZ-09 for a while now...but after seeing first ride road tests and videos....I've changed my mind. Seems like the FZ-07 is the one I want now. The journalists in the UK are LOVING this bike. They say.."no vibration at all".....great handling....feels like it has MORE than the advertised 75 horsepower....grinding footpegs all day long....massive torque for a twin cylinder....hooligan bike...easy to wheelie" etc etc. Three different UK magazines...and all say the same things. One rated it a 9.9 out of 10.

Oh and it DOES NOT have ride by wire or ANY electronic aids. They say the fueling is perfect...it's smooth.....no JERKING THROTTLE.....great brakes and a bunch more. I'm stoked. Gotta ride one as soon as possible. Whoever held off getting FZ-09 for the new FZ-07.....turned out to be a great decision.
Yep, I'm beginning to think this way too. For the type of twisty road riding I do, I don't really need all of that marvelous FZ-09 power. A less expensive, simpler bike like the FZ-07 is probably just right for me. Now we just have to get Yamaha to bring it to the USA!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, I'm beginning to think this way too. For the type of twisty road riding I do, I don't really need all of that marvelous FZ-09 power. A less expensive, simpler bike like the FZ-07 is probably just right for me. Now we just have to get Yamaha to bring it to the USA!
Doesn't seem like that is going to happen, a lot of nay sayers out there chiming in, with adequate facts about why it more than likely won't becoming here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh man, I'm no longer alone. I'm of the same mindset. I would buy an 07 tomorrow if they would bring it on. I've already been exploring the Canada option. The hang up here seems less with the state, and mostly with the feds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If it's as good as the versys or the SV 650 that would be impressive.
One motorcycle mag review means not much.
It has conventional and "cheaper" looking components than the aforementioned bikes.
It has a big mountain to ascend to top those two.
I seriously doubt that a parallel twin could be as smooth as the SV 90 degree.
We shall see.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has conventional and "cheaper" looking components than the aforementioned bikes.
We shall see.
Not one but THREE magazine road tests said the FZ-09 blows the sv and the Versys out of the water. Not even a close comparison. And less vibes than either one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not one but THREE magazine road tests said the FZ-09 blows the sv and the Versys out of the water. Not even a close comparison. And less vibes than either one.
That is saying a lot, right there..

Back in the 80's, lots of Suzuki 500 and 250 Gammas, made their way across the border and got titled, 17 digits in the VIN. as I recall.
Same with the Yamaha LC 350's and RZ500's.

It may be doable again, with the FZ 09, we will see.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I couldn't have been more unimpressed with riding the Gladius.

I wonder why no one is comparing the mt07 to Hondas new 650 line. I know it's a i4 vs i2 but same price range and power band.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The Honda is so new, they probably have not had a chance to ride them. I'd guess that comparo is coming. Honda, pricey, heavy, lackluster I4 power delivery. Fail.

The Honda is about $600-$700 more expensive than the 09, and weighs in at 457lbs, compared to the 07s 397!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The Honda is so new, they probably have not had a chance to ride them. I'd guess that comparo is coming. Honda, pricey, heavy, lackluster I4 power delivery. Fail.

The Honda is about $600-$700 more expensive than the 09, and weighs in at 457lbs, compared to the 07s 397!!
Very true - I just like the way they look - I love the naked look of the FZ but if Yammi came out with a fared version, i likely would have bought that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MCN (biking newspaper over here) compared the 07 with the Kawa ER6n, Gladius, 690 Duke and Monster 696. They said: " ..as an overall package the Yam delivers far more than all the other bikes. Not only is it fun to ride, the engine is a beauty, the handling is very good.... "The headline for the 'Verdict was : "MT-07 is the cheapest and the best". And: "... you simply can't go wrong handing over £s for the MT-07". Seems the one for me.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
AHHHHH I want a FZ-07 so bad! I hope to have the fz-09 paid off by the time they release it here in the US.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We shall see.
Please believe me....if you road an sv and then the mt07 you would pick the mt without doubt.
I've never ridden the versys so I'm unable to comment.
As for the "conventional and "cheaper" looking components" when you see the bike in the flesh, it doesn't have any "cheap" looking parts, in fact
the opposite.
I think people seem to have come to the conclusion that because the bike is cheap to buy its tacky. I think "and its not just me, salesman in dealership too"
Yamaha have underpriced this bike, and soon the price will go up.
"conventional?" Whats wrong with a bike that has forks the propper way up and a throttle you can control?
"smooth" admittedly it has been a few years since I rode the sv650 but yes.....I was surprised too, the MT is also smoother.
The only 2 tiny (and they are very) gripes ive got. The rad is very vunerable and should of had a cover from the shop, and secondly you look in your mirrors
and see your elbo's. Not a great deal of "faults" for a new bike.
Iv'e trawled the web and cannot find a single owner/reporter/magazine that has a bad word to say about this bike, and now I'm lucky enough to be riding one
I agree.
"revolutionary" may be too strong a word. But its the power to weight ratio that is just so looney tunes!!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts