Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

FUTURE ACCESSORIES FOR 2021 AND BEYOND MODELS

46K views 213 replies 35 participants last post by  DarrellKS 
#1 ·
I think it would be both interesting and informative if future owners could advise other members here as and when accessories and aftermarkets parts become available for the new 2021 models, both standard and SP.

A link to a source and/ or a brand name would also be very useful.

Thanks on behalf of all interested owners and would-be owners of these fine motorcycles.

#3 ·
They're certainly quick off the mark - well done! I paid AUD $119 for their 2020 SP model in October last year: good product, just a little fiddly to install.

#8 ·
#34 · (Edited)
Mustard bikes also almost have a screen readythat looks pretty good.
View attachment 164791
That looks promising! I assume it’s a mock-up, to be made in the usual transparent/tinted materials? Why don’t you add that to the “2021 windscreens” thread? That’s what I was thinking, just a nice, smooth, tight-fitting flyscreen to clean up the look of the front end - not a touring shield... 😝

#10 ·
Orl jew respeck, keef - I wouldn't call that a screen - more of a cover over the unsightly finish of the OE headlight surround bits! In fact, a lot like the Yamaha part I had on my late SP, serving the same function (but acrylic) and useless in terms of any useful (to the rider) wind deflection. Haven't come across mustard before - is it a local business?

#14 ·
It screens the OE headlight surrounds. So its a screen. As a wordsmith....
noun
a fixed or movable upright partition used to divide a room, give shelter from draughts, heat, or light, or to provide concealment or privacy.

And yeah, mustard bikes is an Aus company, but been around for a while now.

#12 ·
Fair enough, Screan - but if that's the case why are so many screen variants produced for so many allegedly naked bikes...

#18 ·
Everyone is younger than me - and anyone twice my age may well be riding on some angel's wings Up There!

#20 ·
The search for the perfect screen - if such a thing exists - is like the search for the Holy Grail: unlikely to end in success! I've been on many Forums over many years, covering several major bike brands, and a common thread is this screen dilemma. I've also had a few of the smaller PUIG screens, and more recently on my SP a GIVI screen (plus a top-mounted deflector) and found them pretty satisfactory too. But "a bubble of still air" is an unlikely thing, unless the bike is stationary!

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks, sujitph. But not wishing to offend, this short vid also shows the cyclops in close-up - and what a ghastly-looking thing it is. YMMV of course...
An equally horrible device was on my 2020 SP in the form of the rear axle-mounted fender (pic below), which looked completely at odds with the bike. Like many - if not most - others I had the dealer remove it before I even took delivery. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with cyclops.

LATER EDIT AND UPDATE. Given my belief that, like me, most SP owners would have removed the axle-mounted rear fender, I thought to explore that a little further. The obvious way was to look at SPs advertised for sale, always with many photographs. NOT ONE of the 15 or so advertised SPs had the OE fender still fitted, although brand-new bikes still in dealers' hands obviously did. I'm glad I looked into this!

#28 ·
Thanks, sujitph. But not wishing to offend, this short vid also shows the cyclops in close-up - and what a ghastly-looking thing it is. YMMV of course...
An equally horrible device was on my 2020 SP in the form of the rear axle-mounted fender (pic below), which looked completely at odds with the bike. Like many - if not most - others I had the dealer remove it before I even took delivery. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with cyclops.

LATER EDIT AND UPDATE. Given my belief that, like me, most SP owners would have removed the axle-mounted rear fender, I thought to explore that a little further. The obvious way was to look at SPs advertised for sale, always with many photographs. NOT ONE of the 15 or so advertised SPs had the OE fender still fitted, although brand-new bikes still in dealers' hands obviously did. I'm glad I looked into this!
No offense taken 😎
I personally like the new head. My missus, on the other hand, hates it from the bottom of her heart. Am still struggling to get her 'post purchase approval'.

There were no axle-mounted fender on the 2021 models in Auckland dealerships. But yeah, if the bike came with that, I would have removed it the very next day.

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry, Jacobby, next time I venture an opinion I'll seek your approval first. And who are you to assume what I may or may not own??

I see you are an eight-day veteran on this Forum - hang around long enough and you will find plenty of views and opinions on all sorts of subjects being given, asked for, and responded to, which when politely put - even if forcefully - have their place. Perhaps you don't understand 'YMMV'...

Reactions: psycoreefer
#32 ·
When I first beeped the horn on 2021 model, i felt it's louder than my previous bike (XSR900 2020). I could be wrong though...
In either case, I've got a Denali Soundbomb Mini which I'll be fitting in this weekend. Its loud and plug-and-play, you just have to remove the stock horn and install the denali one... it uses the same stock wiring. It's a single piece though, not a twin set.

#33 ·
Excellent - looking forward to words and pix! My doggie has a squeaky toy that's more attention-grabbing than the OE horn on any recent bikes I've owned! One of the first farkles I always make is a new horn, Stebel Magnum being my first choice.

#35 · (Edited)
Yamaha's flyscreen (below).

(below) from Yamaha's Touring Pack - this screen (better if tinted IMHO) looks perfect for light touring duties: not a barn door and not a flyscreen.. Very reminiscent of the OE screens on my past Tracers and Tracer GT, all of which I found perfectly OK.

(Below) is Mustard's solution, but to what I'm not sure. THANKS to OP's here for these pix.

Reactions: Pazzo
#42 ·
Is it any different to the air-filter on the 2020?

#44 ·
Thank you!

#46 ·
Thanks for posting, mchesnoff...another option to add to the (growing) list. Colour me ultra-fussy if you wish, but I must reserve judgement on this screen - and others - until I can see the SP itself in the flesh. I think it may add to the fussy and somewhat cluttered look of the front of the SP, on which so many other details are just right. Sorry, but of course I hope it works for you!

Yamaha Australia has been extremely slow to release bikes for on-the-floor display at dealerships here, so it's been very hard. Sujitph here (post #28) says that his wife hates the SP's 'head' from the bottom of her heart: I dislike it from the heart of my bottom! ;) Thus far I prefer the Yamaha Touring Pack screen (seen in post #35) but again - sight unseen. Thank you again... keep 'em coming.

#47 ·
DNA to OEM filter comparison

Suffice to say, the relationship between the SP and myself is getting pretty serious ❤

Fuel tank removal was a breeze. Fairly similar to the previous gen. Obviously don’t need to remove the air box to do the filter swap, but I did anyway so so could properly route/loom my front/rear “dash” cam and charger cable for my QuadLock wireless charger.

#50 ·
DNA to OEM filter comparison

View attachment 165125

Suffice to say, the relationship between the SP and myself is getting pretty serious ❤

View attachment 165126

Fuel tank removal was a breeze. Fairly similar to the previous gen. Obviously don’t need to remove the air box to do the filter swap, but I did anyway so so could properly route/loom my front/rear “dash” cam and charger cable for my QuadLock wireless charger.
Tell us how it feels with the new filter.

#49 · (Edited)
Here's a new pic of a GIVI screen, model #1173S. Because it is all transparent acrylic (?) without what appear to be the 'solid' vertical side pieces as seen in Chesnoff's pic #45 above (which seems to be entirely different to this model here) it looks to my eyes as being rather less 'heavy', visually. But the entire front including cyclops seems definitely Darth Vader-like...!

Even so, I could see myself living with this, and have had good experiences with GIVI on previous bikes, including the tasty screen on my late 2020 SP (second photo below).

The 2020 and 2021 SP GIVI screens appear quite similar in overall frontal shape, and I can envisage this #1173S screen offering a modest amount of wind-protection for the rider of average height, and not merely protecting the front of the display panel. For riders who are vertically endowed, a top-of-screen mounted deflector may well give the extra cover sought (see bottom pic below).

ABOVE - 2021 SP screen GIVI #1173S

ABOVE - 2020 SP screen GIVI A2132 for those interested, as on my late SP.

ABOVE - inexpensive E Bay deflector adds some height to the GIVI screen on my 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.