Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Is it any different to the air-filter on the 2020?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for posting, mchesnoff...another option to add to the (growing) list. Colour me ultra-fussy if you wish, but I must reserve judgement on this screen - and others - until I can see the SP itself in the flesh. I think it may add to the fussy and somewhat cluttered look of the front of the SP, on which so many other details are just right. Sorry, but of course I hope it works for you!

Yamaha Australia has been extremely slow to release bikes for on-the-floor display at dealerships here, so it's been very hard. Sujitph here (post #28) says that his wife hates the SP's 'head' from the bottom of her heart: I dislike it from the heart of my bottom! ;) Thus far I prefer the Yamaha Touring Pack screen (seen in post #35) but again - sight unseen. Thank you again... keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DNA to OEM filter comparison

Suffice to say, the relationship between the SP and myself is getting pretty serious ❤

Fuel tank removal was a breeze. Fairly similar to the previous gen. Obviously don’t need to remove the air box to do the filter swap, but I did anyway so so could properly route/loom my front/rear “dash” cam and charger cable for my QuadLock wireless charger.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Here's a new pic of a GIVI screen, model #1173S. Because it is all transparent acrylic (?) without what appear to be the 'solid' vertical side pieces as seen in Chesnoff's pic #45 above (which seems to be entirely different to this model here) it looks to my eyes as being rather less 'heavy', visually. But the entire front including cyclops seems definitely Darth Vader-like...!

Even so, I could see myself living with this, and have had good experiences with GIVI on previous bikes, including the tasty screen on my late 2020 SP (second photo below).

The 2020 and 2021 SP GIVI screens appear quite similar in overall frontal shape, and I can envisage this #1173S screen offering a modest amount of wind-protection for the rider of average height, and not merely protecting the front of the display panel. For riders who are vertically endowed, a top-of-screen mounted deflector may well give the extra cover sought (see bottom pic below).

ABOVE - 2021 SP screen GIVI #1173S

ABOVE - 2020 SP screen GIVI A2132 for those interested, as on my late SP.

ABOVE - inexpensive E Bay deflector adds some height to the GIVI screen on my 2020.

·
Registered
230 Posts

View attachment 165125

Suffice to say, the relationship between the SP and myself is getting pretty serious ❤

View attachment 165126

Fuel tank removal was a breeze. Fairly similar to the previous gen. Obviously don’t need to remove the air box to do the filter swap, but I did anyway so so could properly route/loom my front/rear “dash” cam and charger cable for my QuadLock wireless charger.
Tell us how it feels with the new filter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tell us how it feels with the new filter.
Still breaking it in 😫

As someone who builds performance cars for a living, I know that the break-in parameters are just a suggested guideline, and no harm would likely come from having a bit of fun with the revs early on as long as you give the rings and what not a chance to bed in, but I’m going to follow it regardless. I’ll probably the mileage on it in no time.

I’ll be sure to post my thoughts once that happens. I suspect it’s not going to do much at low rpm (doesn’t feel like it anyways), but will probably help in the top end, especially once the cat is gone, and the bike is tuned (when someone manages to crack this ECU)

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 165125

View attachment 165126

The DNA filter looks a good improvement over stock...my presumption is that with the filter the intake Sound is amplified and you could possibly gain some power if remapped on the dyno.
Did you test the filter and how do you like it?
Aleks

·
Registered
63 Posts
The DNA filter looks a good improvement over stock...my presumption is that with the filter the intake Sound is amplified and you could possibly gain some power if remapped on the dyno.
Did you test the filter and how do you like it?
Aleks
Still breaking it in unfortunately. I just installed the filter now because I had the tank off to run some wiring for a dash cam/phone charger.

Unfortunately a bout of bad weather has kept my break-in miles to a minimum over the past couple of days, but I do detect a slight increase in induction noise on quick throttle snaps.

My bike probably won’t be the best for a comparo because I put the DNA in before I even opened the bike up, but I’ll be sure to post my findings if I see any negatives

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't understand why people keep messing up with air filters. The intakes and filters are designed to provide all the air the engine needs. And even if that wasn't the case, the restriction would be at redline, and minuscule to detect. What you're doing by swapping to a filter that flows more air your engine doesn't need is ADDING DIRT, because there's no free lunch: more air = more dirt; as simple as that. And you can do a simple dust test with a ShopVac and a wet white shop towel. Those oiled cotton gauze filters are great RACING filters, but they filter for crap, and that's a fact. But to each his own, I guess. Some old vehicles used to have restrictions issues; not anymore. You could run without any filter at all, and your bike wouldn't have any more power. I'm amazed at the power of marketing. Or mis-information, for that matter. People believe anything they see and hear nowadays; it's scary.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't understand why people keep messing up with air filters. The intakes and filters are designed to provide all the air the engine needs. And even if that wasn't the case, the restriction would be at redline, and minuscule to detect. What you're doing by swapping to a filter that flows more air your engine doesn't need is ADDING DIRT, because there's no free lunch: more air = more dirt; as simple as that. And you can do a simple dust test with a ShopVac and a wet white shop towel. Those oiled cotton gauze filters are great RACING filters, but they filter for crap, and that's a fact. But to each his own, I guess. Some old vehicles used to have restrictions issues; not anymore. You could run without any filter at all, and your bike wouldn't have any more power. I'm amazed at the power of marketing. Or mis-information, for that matter. People believe anything they see and hear nowadays; it's scary.
I didn’t care about extra area of filtration. I run a performance shop so I know that 99% of drop in filters don’t add any additional flow, regardless of the manufacturers claims. I know this due to testing on the dyno with various styles of K&N style filters on a number of different cars.

9/10 times you will not beat the factory’s design parameters when using the factory air box, and as such I’m not expecting any gains. They do however filter better than you’re giving them credit for.

For myself, I prefer having a serviceable reusable filter in there for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it’s been an issue getting OE parts (and aftermarket for that matter) during this pandemic, and while that may not be the case forever, I don’t want to have to wait for a filter to show up so I can take my bike for a ride. And I don’t feel like ordering a couple to just have on the shelf. I put a lot of miles on my bikes so being able to quickly yank the tank off, wash the filter out, re-oil it and toss it back in is more my style than waiting/ordering a factory replacement 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’re right though, to each their own. For me, this bike will have plenty of jam, so gains aren’t really my main goal with it. Once there’s some better exhausts out there and someone cracks the ECU I’ll definitely be strapping it onto dyno and seeing what I can get out of it, but purely for curiosity sake more than anything else

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone know if the frame sliders from the previous gen will fit on the 2021? Saw a YouTube video where the guy had them installed but didn’t list the part in the description. Looked like shoguns.
Apparantly they will, although most companies (Evotech, R&G, Wometech) are producing new versions which I find strange if the previous gen versions fit properly. Would be cheaper for them to just continue to sell the existing ones and update the model year fitment list, so there must be some subtle differences that may cause issues.

The front and rear axles on the new MT-09 are off-the-shelf axles Yamaha picked from previous bikes (front axle is from a ‘05-‘09 FZ1, rear axle is from various R1 and R6 model years).

Evotech has released their front and rear spindle and bar sliders, but no frame protection in stock as of yet.

R&G has a ton of stuff on deck but apparently their customer service has gone to hell as of late. I’m not sure how true that is but I ordered a bunch of various sliders to try and piece together my own kit once I discovered what axles Yamaha had used on this bike, but it’s been almost two months since I ordered, and everything was “in stock”

Emailed them, and got told they should ship “on the 18th” (of May) and obviously I still don’t have them yet, and they haven’t responded to any of my other emails so I have no idea what’s going on. And it doesn’t bode well for when their new items will be released. I did ask in one of my emails what their ETA looked like for release on the new products but again, still haven’t heard anything.

I might even just pull the trigger on the Evotech stuff when they have their frame sliders in stock; at least I know I’ll get it in fairly short order with them. R&G has been a real let down, which is a shame because I loved their stuff on my MT-07

·
Registered
23 Posts
Apparantly they will, although most companies (Evotech, R&G, Wometech) are producing new versions which I find strange if the previous gen versions fit properly. Would be cheaper for them to just continue to sell the existing ones and update the model year fitment list, so there must be some subtle differences that may cause issues.

The front and rear axles on the new MT-09 are off-the-shelf axles Yamaha picked from previous bikes (front axle is from a ‘05-‘09 FZ1, rear axle is from various R1 and R6 model years).

Evotech has released their front and rear spindle and bar sliders, but no frame protection in stock as of yet.

R&G has a ton of stuff on deck but apparently their customer service has gone to hell as of late. I’m not sure how true that is but I ordered a bunch of various sliders to try and piece together my own kit once I discovered what axles Yamaha had used on this bike, but it’s been almost two months since I ordered, and everything was “in stock”

Emailed them, and got told they should ship “on the 18th” (of May) and obviously I still don’t have them yet, and they haven’t responded to any of my other emails so I have no idea what’s going on. And it doesn’t bode well for when their new items will be released. I did ask in one of my emails what their ETA looked like for release on the new products but again, still haven’t heard anything.

I might even just pull the trigger on the Evotech stuff when they have their frame sliders in stock; at least I know I’ll get it in fairly short order with them. R&G has been a real let down, which is a shame because I loved their stuff on my MT-07
Does wometech have them listed yet?

41 - 60 of 104 Posts