Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be both interesting and informative if future owners could advise other members here as and when accessories and aftermarkets parts become available for the new 2021 models, both standard and SP.

A link to a source and/ or a brand name would also be very useful.

Thanks on behalf of all interested owners and would-be owners of these fine motorcycles.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered Evotech's radiator guard for MT-09 2021 model today.
EP Yamaha MT-09 Radiator Guard (2021+) – Evotech-Performance

6 hours later got an email from them advising the item is on the move and they included a tracking number also. Getting it delivered to New Zealand, standard shipping for £10.83.

They're certainly quick off the mark - well done! I paid AUD $119 for their 2020 SP model in October last year: good product, just a little fiddly to install.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Orl jew respeck, keef - I wouldn't call that a screen - more of a cover over the unsightly finish of the OE headlight surround bits! In fact, a lot like the Yamaha part I had on my late SP, serving the same function (but acrylic) and useless in terms of any useful (to the rider) wind deflection. Haven't come across mustard before - is it a local business?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a naked... if we wanted wind protection we should have bought a different bike lol
Fair enough, Screan - but if that's the case why are so many screen variants produced for so many allegedly naked bikes...

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
968 Posts
Fair enough, Screan - but if that's the case why are so many screen variants produced for so many allegedly naked bikes...
Because what we thought we wanted may not have been the case lol. I know I didn't buy my bike with the intention of putting a windscreen on it. I have a small one to clean the look of the front up like that picture of the new model. Had I wanted better protection from the get go I would've went for a tracer.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Orl jew respeck, keef - I wouldn't call that a screen - more of a cover over the unsightly finish of the OE headlight surround bits! In fact, a lot like the Yamaha part I had on my late SP, serving the same function (but acrylic) and useless in terms of any useful (to the rider) wind deflection. Haven't come across mustard before - is it a local business?
It screens the OE headlight surrounds. So its a screen. As a wordsmith....
noun
a fixed or movable upright partition used to divide a room, give shelter from draughts, heat, or light, or to provide concealment or privacy.

And yeah, mustard bikes is an Aus company, but been around for a while now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It screens the OE headlight surrounds. So its a screen. As a wordsmith....
noun
a fixed or movable upright partition used to divide a room, give shelter from draughts, heat, or light, or to provide concealment or privacy.
And yeah, mustard bikes is an Aus company, but been around for a while now.
True, it 'provides concealment' (of the upper part of the headlight surround), but is it not true that we motorbikers generally refer to a 'screen' ('windscreen' - sometimes 'windshield') as providing some sort of protection from windblast to the rider? This natty device does no such thing, pretty tho' it may be! It's nothing more than a cosmetic addition - and a pretty expensive one at that, at AUD$95 - but there's no reason why it shouldn't exist.

And consulting Dr Google, I find that Mustard is a small Tasmanian company, but I'd never heard of it until this Thread appeared (thank you, OP). I hope their name doesn't get confused with Madstad! ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because what we thought we wanted may not have been the case lol. I know I didn't buy my bike with the intention of putting a windscreen on it. I have a small one to clean the look of the front up like that picture of the new model. Had I wanted better protection from the get go I would've went for a tracer.

TRACERS have proper, functioning, screens. Strangely enough, however, their OE screens come in for almost as much criticism as their seats, but I have to say that on all my Tracers, and later GT, I found the screens perfectly OK - but then I live and ride in a pretty benign climate. It would have been a different story if I were commuting in rain, snow, hail, whatever! Seats - not so OK!!

But how many of us have bought what we thought we wanted, only to find it was not the case? I did that once with an entire motorbike! (Puts hand up to confess).

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
968 Posts
TRACERS have proper, functioning, screens. Strangely enough, however, their OE screens come in for almost as much criticism as their seats, but I have to say that on all my Tracers, and later GT, I found the screens perfectly OK - but then I live and ride in a pretty benign climate. It would have been a different story if I were commuting in rain, snow, hail, whatever! Seats - not so OK!!

But how many of us have bought what we thought we wanted, only to find it was not the case? I did that once with an entire motorbike! (Puts hand up to confess).
All the time lol... I had no issues with the tracer and its screen. I know for me the little screen I put on offered so protection for my guage cluster, finished off the front of the bike, and mine provides some calming effect as it smooths out the wind that would normally get choppy as it hit the mess of a front and cluster normally. We are all different. One of the reasons I love the 09... I may meet a person younger than me or twice my age riding a version of our beautiful bike.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everyone is younger than me - and anyone twice my age may well be riding on some angel's wings Up There!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
True, it 'provides concealment' (of the upper part of the headlight surround), but is it not true that we motorbikers generally refer to a 'screen' ('windscreen' - sometimes 'windshield') as providing some sort of protection from windblast to the rider? This natty device does no such thing, pretty tho' it may be! It's nothing more than a cosmetic addition - and a pretty expensive one at that, at AUD$95 - but there's no reason why it shouldn't exist.

And consulting Dr Google, I find that Mustard is a small Tasmanian company, but I'd never heard of it until this Thread appeared (thank you, OP). I hope their name doesn't get confused with Madstad! ;)
The functional aspect of a screen depends on how tall you are.
On a naked bike, for me its about smooth airflow, not a bubble of still air.

My small puig sport screen that i had on my 2014 screened me from the wind.
The small screen from urbano bruni that I have on my 17 also smooths out the airflow, so screens the wind.
Compared to a barn door sized screen that i used to have on a versys 650 that aimed all the wind into the top of my helmet for for a very noisy, head buffeting ride.
Screen? Yes. Ugly? Yes. Functional? No.
A small screen is still a screen, and most cases, more functional than a huge piece of acryllic.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The search for the perfect screen - if such a thing exists - is like the search for the Holy Grail: unlikely to end in success! I've been on many Forums over many years, covering several major bike brands, and a common thread is this screen dilemma. I've also had a few of the smaller PUIG screens, and more recently on my SP a GIVI screen (plus a top-mounted deflector) and found them pretty satisfactory too. But "a bubble of still air" is an unlikely thing, unless the bike is stationary!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts