Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Fuse question...

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NVC_HOUSTON 
#1 ·
Can I ask you clever lot about electrical issue/fuses...On one of my bikes I use an optimate sae to the ducati specific underseat port. I have been trickle charging the bike fine with this. I went to plug in my Keis heated jacket this morning and it blew the fuse in the bike fuse box. When I found it it turns out it's just a 3amp fuse, now I think the jacket alone requires 7.5 amps. My question is can I replace the fuse for something like a 10amp or am I asking for trouble as this is the port where all the diagnostics tools are plugged in so believe my I don't want to mess up the ecu or whatever. Yes, I am an electrical gimp.

#2 ·
Never replace a known value fuse with a higher rated fuse unless you know for a fact that the wiring is sized correctly (read, big enough gauge wire). FUSES are sized to protect the wire, to prevent excessive current flow, which can and does cause fires sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.