Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on a ride yesterday, with 3 other FZ-09s (redeye was there), a ducati Panigale, and a couple ZRX1100's. Went from 40min outside of DC, up to brunswick, MD, and into WV. Had a great group ride, until i was in a right turn, hit a little too hard on the rear brake, combined with gravel, into a muddy ditch/hill. Luckily it was muddy because the FZ had minimal damage. Broke the waterpump cover, and scratched the left air scoop, a little bit of the tank, and busted my left mirror, bent the clutch lever and gear shift lever. Luckily for me, a truck was passing and offered a ride back to my house. I didnt have any injuries, and am not even sore today. Odered the parts to get me running again, and it totaled out to about $60. Not too bad..

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
474 Posts
^this

Sent from far outer space

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Glad you're OK....but, how did you do all the damage on the left side in a right hander going down? Why were you using the rear brake?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
What he ^^^^ said.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Went out on a ride yesterday, with 3 other FZ-09s (redeye was there), a ducati Panigale, and a couple ZRX1100's. Went from 40min outside of DC, up to brunswick, MD, and into WV. Had a great group ride, until i was in a right turn, hit a little too hard on the rear brake, combined with gravel, into a muddy ditch/hill. Luckily it was muddy because the FZ had minimal damage. Broke the waterpump cover, and scratched the left air scoop, a little bit of the tank, and busted my left mirror, bent the clutch lever and gear shift lever. Luckily for me, a truck was passing and offered a ride back to my house. I didnt have any injuries, and am not even sore today. Odered the parts to get me running again, and it totaled out to about $60. Not too bad..
A really great ride, FF! And I appreciate the invitation to join the group. In northern Virginia and Maryland, there aren't many more 2014 riding days quite as spectacular as Saturday. Mostly sunny with temps in the high 60s, although the clouds and cooler temps started rolling in later in the afternoon. I rode through a couple of very brief showers in northern Maryland on my way to the meeting location in northern Virginia (about 1.25 hours total), but south of Frederick, Maryland was totally different and much more pleasant.

This was a group of really great guys. I really enjoyed the meeting location mentioned previously and break location near Charles Town, West Virginia. They made me welcome right from the start. And the ride... awesome.

Because of the ride route and the time, leaving the group and returning directly to Maryland at some point was necessary. However, I wasn't ready to break away from the group so soon (too much fun for that!), and we continued to Berryville, Virginia. Then I turned north towards Maryland while the group turned east towards Washington. FF, your misfortune must have occurred shortly afterward. I was bummed to read your text, but greatly relieved you are OK.

Overall though, great guys, great day, great ride. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think i wasnt leaned enough, straightened back up, and went into the left side, across the other lane. After i fix the bike, need to work on using less rear brake. The other day, a car didn't look left (i was in the right lane) and jetted out, turning left. I hit the rear brake, locking up and skidding sideways. After she passed, and i didnt hit anything, the back tire snapped back. Luckily i didnt eat it there..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Glad you're ok! I love the rear brake, but only in conjunction with the front brakes too. You probably know this but heavy braking while leaned over will cause the bike to straighten up. From the description of your crash it sounds like a pretty typical scenerio where this happens, followed quickly by target fixation on the side of the road where your bike started heading, and where you crashed. Lucky there wasn't a car coming the other way!!

There are lots of good books out there that might be worth it to read, if you haven't already. I recently read and liked Lee Parks Total Control. There are also lots of drills in there that you can use to work on your braking and cornering skills. There are always things to learn and skills to work on at every stage of riding. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^

+ 1,000,000,000

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^

+ 1,000,000,000

·
Registered
962 Posts
Glad you're ok! I love the rear brake, but only in conjunction with the front brakes too. You probably know this but heavy braking while leaned over will cause the bike to straighten up. From the description of your crash it sounds like a pretty typical scenerio where this happens, followed quickly by target fixation on the side of the road where your bike started heading, and where you crashed. Lucky there wasn't a car coming the other way!!
Heavy braking "with the stock suspension" while leaned over causes it to do all sorts of bucking and wiggling...

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
1962......Heavy braking, in and of itself will NOT cause a bike to stand up while leaned over! Very sudden/grabby hard braking will, but if you apply the brake input smoothly.....not "stab it", the end result will be a decrease of bike speed AND a tighter turn radius. Of course, the key word here is "smooth". If you're leaned over far enough that you are approaching the tire's traction limit, it won't take a lot of braking action to lose traction and tuck the front....and it will happen instantly if you stab the brake lever or grab a big handful.

On the track, I am a very hard braker, and many times, all the way to the apex of the corner.....but I'm also, extremely smooth with my brake inputs, and believe me, my bike doesn't stand up with hard braking. Trailing off the front brake as the lean angle increases is MANDATORY though, unless you want to end up low siding.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
1962......Heavy braking, in and of itself will NOT cause a bike to stand up while leaned over! Very sudden/grabby hard braking will, but if you apply the brake input smoothly.....not "stab it", the end result will be a decrease of bike speed AND a tighter turn radius. Of course, the key word here is "smooth". If you're leaned over far enough that you are approaching the tire's traction limit, it won't take a lot of braking action to lose traction and tuck the front....and it will happen instantly if you stab the brake lever or grab a big handful.

On the track, I am a very hard braker, and many times, all the way to the apex of the corner.....but I'm also, extremely smooth with my brake inputs, and believe me, my bike doesn't stand up with hard braking. Trailing off the front brake as the lean angle increases is MANDATORY though, unless weepy want to end up low siding.
Regardless, shouldn't the pressure applied to the rear brake almost always be 1/2 whatever's being applied to the front..???

·
Registered
554 Posts

On the track, I am a very hard braker, and many times, all the way to the apex of the corner.....but I'm also, extremely smooth with my brake inputs, and believe me, my bike doesn't stand up with hard braking. Trailing off the front brake as the lean angle increases is MANDATORY though, unless you want to end up low siding.
Yes, I should have said "unskillfull heavy braking", or "sudden heavy braking". I think my point still stands, this is a very common crash scenerio and learning proper technique and practice will help avoid this error.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
The ONLY time I ever use a rear brake while leaned over, and its almost never, is to feather it enough to tighten up my line in a corner.....to keep from having to roll out of the throttle and upset the suspension, thereby causing the front tire to be overloaded and tuck on me.

There are a few other reasons for using the rear brake...like inducing a rear wheel slide to "back it in" a corner or holding the bike in place while stopped on a hillside, etc. But my street bike almost never sees any rear brake usage.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the input guys. Im going to be doing some reading in the off season. But I just received all the parts needed to get back on the road (plus some more parts ;) )
I hope this wont happen anymore..

other parts I received and put in are:
PC-V
K&N air filter
Graves block off plates
Evap system removal

Will be ordering Mad Hornet levers and Rhino bar ends and some mirrors. And pricing out the gear shift lever. For now I think its still useable

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice to read you're moving forward promptly and confidently. Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was able to get out on the bike, and head to the dealer for the headlight recall. They said I needed to come back at a different date for the ECU reflash. But I now have the Graves Blockoff plates, PC-V, and a K&N filter installed. The blockoff plates reduced the backfire, and now the bike seems to be running better. Just wish I had an extra clutch lever while I wait for my Mad Hornets to ship..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts