Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy was telling me he has started using Nitrogen in his bike tires, but it costs $15 to get filled up..lol. I am sure you could get a gas cylinder for a lot cheaper, but is it worth it? Anyone have experience with it? Just curious. =)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I won't bother. That's race track stuff. Funny that some tire place claim better fuel economy out of it. The only difference with Nitrogen is the absence of moisture.

Under extreme condition, the tire get hot and the moisture boil up and make the pressure go up. Kind of harder to keep optimum tire psi. One of the most important thing at the track is to keep your psi right in the sweet spot! Nitrogen is a bit more stable since its an inert gas.

Unless you assemble the tire, vacuum all the moisture out and then fill it with nitrogen... and never use air, not worth it. The other big thing to is the delta of psi. By exaple normal air will raise the cold psi by 8psi by example, nitrogen will raise by 5psi. So you don't need to start your cold psi too low (low psi = lower spring rate = slower lap time = full tank of gas and lower ride height make car bottoming... less traction) So instead of taking 3 laps to get the tire up to psi, it takes 1 1/2-2 laps instead. Like I say... Nitrogen is a racing thing.

Here's pics of me back in the days. 2009 Miss those days sometime... had a great time.

Random pic1 003.jpg Random pic1 004.jpg

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't bother. That's race track stuff. Funny that some tire place claim better fuel economy out of it. The only difference with Nitrogen is the absence of moisture.

Under extreme condition, the tire get hot and the moisture boil up and make the pressure go up. Kind of harder to keep optimum tire psi. One of the most important thing at the track is to keep your psi right in the sweet spot! Nitrogen is a bit more stable since its an inert gas.

Unless you assemble the tire, vacuum all the moisture out and then fill it with nitrogen... and never use air, not worth it. The other big thing to is the delta of psi. By exaple normal air will raise the cold psi by 8psi by example, nitrogen will raise by 5psi. So you don't need to start your cold psi too low (low psi = lower spring rate = slower lap time = full tank of gas and lower ride height make car bottoming... less traction) So instead of taking 3 laps to get the tire up to psi, it takes 1 1/2-2 laps instead. Like I say... Nitrogen is a racing thing.
Ahh gotcha. Basically, it is a scam for non-trackers? lol

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, same here lol

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Who are you Marthy? A marathon runner, motorcycle enthusiast, exhaust builder. Now a race car driver! Sounds like a good lifestyle. Glad you are here to supply us with an affordable quality exhaust!

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Who are you Marthy? A marathon runner, motorcycle enthusiast, exhaust builder. Now a race car driver! Sounds like a good lifestyle. Glad you are here to supply us with an affordable quality exhaust!
I wish... just a normal lucky guy spinning wrenches and changing tires in 5 second... well use too. LOL

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Marthy, that 2nd photo makes it look like you need a phone book to sit on. ;)

Thanks for the explanation, one time I was doing a track day at VIR and saw a bunch of nitrogen cylinders there for car racing and didn't know what the advantage was.
Nice! The driver was Paul Tracy. He use to have about 30-40 lbs on me and a bit taller. So I had to scoop down to reach the brake pedals... I was getting pull by the pit cart. 8 MPH is about as fast as I ever went in a Indycar! LOL Better than nothing...

My week vacation last March, 12H of Sebring... Beach stuff is over rated. That's how real Man spend there vacation... LOL (Red Helmet... on the gun)
Was nice to kick a$$ on the 20ish yo kid on the left hand side of the car... As ALMS rules we were not allowed to touch the car until the fueller is done, that's why it takes a little while before we get on it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Oh I just looked at the back ground of the first photo, is that the Indianapolis 500? I live an hour south of there.
YEP. Indy 2009 right before the race on the grid. I already moved to Florida back then (as far away for my ex) and I was doing sports car. I went there for the month of May only.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice! The driver was Paul Tracy. He use to have about 30-40 lbs on me and a bit taller. So I had to scoop down to reach the brake pedals... I was getting pull by the pit cart. 8 MPH is about as fast as I ever went in a Indycar! LOL Better than nothing...

My week vacation last March, 12H of Sebring... Beach stuff is over rated. That's how real Man spend there vacation... LOL (Red Helmet... on the gun)
Was nice to kick a$$ on the 20ish yo kid on the left hand side of the car... As ALMS rules we were not allowed to touch the car until the fueller is done, that's why it takes a little while before we get on it.
Those pits seem so fast and chaotic..are there a lot of injuries?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Filling your tires with Nitrogen will reduce your bike's weight by 0.0000000000001538 lbs.
Wonder how it would work with helium. :cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Used a real small ( 1 gallon size eq. ) nitrogen bottle at the drags.

Was a handy way to have a lot of air in a small , portable device.

It would hold a lot of air as it was compressed at 2500 psi.

It had an adjustable regulator and was used for air shifters and tires.

Have a 2008 Bimota Tesi 3 D that has an air shock.

Use the tank, set at 175 psi to keep the shock aired up.

Bike is the one in my avatar.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 20 of 35 Posts