Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a slip on or possible full exhaust for my Fz-09.I have done alot of research and it seems that the yamaha stock headers perform quite well vs. the aftermarket. Has anyone ridin a full exhaust vs. a slip on and if so is there a huge differance?
I dont mind spending the extra $$ on a full system but if the performance isnt a huge upgrade i will go with the slip on.
My choices will be yoshimura,akrapovic or the M4 slip on
Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
So far I haven't really noticed any performance problems with my full akrapovic...if anything, it smoothed out the jerky throttle since it's running a little leaner. I'll eventually get a reflash when available...but, no complaints with this full system. I've seen several slip ons at the bike nights...they pop all the time. Not the case with my system.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I put on the M4. Mostly because the price is only 380. It was popping on deceleration and a bit lean so I also put on the Dobeck EJK. Throttle is much smoother, popping is gone on deceleration and overall sound of the pipe has improved because of the EJK. You have to be careful with the cut if you go this route, not much room to spare. I took the entire exhaust off and took it to a machine shop and they cut it for me and fitted the pipe by smoothing out the cut by grinder. Took them about 20 minutes cause they got the right tools, lol. Only cost me 25 bucks. Overall the pipe looks sweet and sounds great. Definitely lost weight and the bike runs great! Definitely recommend the EJK or a power commander. The bike was leaner than I thought it would be without tuning the fuel so that's why I did the EJK. M4 = 380, EJK = 225. 605 total. I think it was worth it.:)

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm running an M4 slip on with no flash... Love it. Baffle out because I'm young and like to be annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm running an M4 slip on with no flash... Love it. Baffle out because I'm young and like to be annoying.

i am second to this! :D :D :D
it is really awesome!!! without baffle the note out of the exhaust is just deeper and better.

and about popping during decel... just make sure there is no leak in the system. m4 doesn't include any high temp sealant for the slip on. when i first tried it without any sealant it did popped quite loud during decel right from the moment of closing the throttle to stop and it was not cool, to me. but after i put some sealant at the joint, it just changed...
popping only occur going under 3000 - 4000rpm when having decel hard from over 7000 - 8000 rpm and popping sounds deeper as well.

i haven't got the chance to record it yet. i've only got a digital camera. probably will tape it on the bike an have a go...
so make sure you use some high temp sealant and you will have a lot less popping.

·
Registered
337 Posts
it is really awesome!!! without baffle the note out of the exhaust is just deeper and better.

and about popping during decel... just make sure there is no leak in the system. m4 doesn't include any high temp sealant for the slip on. when i first tried it without any sealant it did popped quite loud during decel right from the moment of closing the throttle to stop and it was not cool, to me. but after i put some sealant at the joint, it just changed...
popping only occur going under 3000 - 4000rpm when having decel hard from over 7000 - 8000 rpm and popping sounds deeper as well.

i haven't got the chance to record it yet. i've only got a digital camera. probably will tape it on the bike an have a go...
so make sure you use some high temp sealant and you will have a lot less popping.
To eliminate the popping properly install a set of block off plates and disable the AIS, that along with proper fueling will eliminate 90% of it. My bike does not pop at all, can full throttle to high RPMs and back off with nothing but the exhaust decel noise.

Graves and a couple other manufacturers make block off kits.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts do very little in terms of performance to most bikes. The benefits are either a more aggressive exhaust tone or the placebo effect from having a louder exhaust which makes the bike seem that it has a better acceleration curve. The main way to benefit in terms of performance is getting a customs dyno tune for your're Power Commander or perhaps a custom ECU reflash etc. As a matter of fact, many motorcycles lose bottom end torque because due to the larger diameter of the exhaust, back pressure is reduced. I would spend the money if on limited budget on a ECU reflash and upgraded suspension springs instead.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts

What kind of high temp sealant did you use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
sub'd. interested in slip on also. interested in repercussions of doing slip on with no reflash/EJK/PCV. Also wondering about warranty issues?

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I called up M4 before I purchased the slip on and they say the dyno sheet they have on their site is from an "untuned/unmapped" dyno pull with their exhaust on it.
For whatever it's worth to you guys.
Of course after I installed mine last night I downloaded the M4 map from PCV website and will be going to my tuner to improve upon that map.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To eliminate the popping properly install a set of block off plates and disable the AIS, that along with proper fueling will eliminate 90% of it. My bike does not pop at all, can full throttle to high RPMs and back off with nothing but the exhaust decel noise.

Graves and a couple other manufacturers make block off kits.

thanks for the adv. but i kind of like the little popping at lower rpm...

·
Registered
833 Posts
The "popping" won't hurt the engine all. That is caused by the AIS(or PAIR) system. Now, running lean, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A little less bottom-end torque probly won't be noticeable on an FZ9.....

Aftermarket exhausts do very little in terms of performance to most bikes. The benefits are either a more aggressive exhaust tone or the placebo effect from having a louder exhaust which makes the bike seem that it has a better acceleration curve. The main way to benefit in terms of performance is getting a customs dyno tune for your're Power Commander or perhaps a custom ECU reflash etc. As a matter of fact, many motorcycles lose bottom end torque because due to the larger diameter of the exhaust, back pressure is reduced. I would spend the money if on limited budget on a ECU reflash and upgraded suspension springs instead.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nope.... it is caused by excess fuel and a lack of oxygen in the exhaust. When that hot, rich mixture hits open air, it burns because of the available O2, causing the popping.

Does popping on decel harm the engine?

·
Registered
730 Posts
No issues... Read about the Moss-Magnusson Act. If you're in the USA.

sub'd. interested in slip on also. interested in repercussions of doing slip on with no reflash/EJK/PCV. Also wondering about warranty issues?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the Magnuson Moss act wont help in this situation. it was primarily created to ensure that the manufacturers could not insist on the use of OEM parts to retain warranty unless they supplied those parts for free ....for example, if they say you must use a Yamaha oil filer, then they must supply that filter for free..

in the case of the slip on, you are not just using an aftermarket part, you are modifying the bike , and the slip on is also clearly marked 'for off road use only" .

I doubt very much any dealer would void your warranty for the slip on, but if push came to shove, they would likely win .

again, Im not a lawyer, but this is how i understand it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RichBaker - thanks for the insight; I was unaware of the Act. So, relating this in terms of a slip on exhaust - it's most likely not going to cause electrical issues. I'm worried about mechanical issues though. Because i don't totally understand what happens in a lean condition, i'm not sure of the long term effects. I've heard it can burn valves, pistons, etc.. in result of running slightly hotter. I'm not sure of the truth behind this, how long it takes, etc..

My fear - i put the M4 on and in say, 3 years, the motor seizes somehow and the dealer refuses to cover it under warranty because the issue is caused by the lean condition.

I understand that A) buying a full exhaust, B) buying a slip-on and buying someones stock exhaust and just reinstalling the stock exhaust if any warranty issues arise, or C) buying the PCV or EJK, are probably the best solutions to this problem. I'm just trying to understand the best i can.

I appreciate the help and info. thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts